"Hybrid" heater/defroster

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would seem to me that as a nation, we use a lot of fuel to "warm up' a vehicle to defrost windshields. I would think that auto manufacturers could install electric heaters that would provide immediate heat to defrost windshields, saving on the amount of fuel used to defrost windshields. Perhaps one that ran off of a supplemental battery and could be turned on remotely to run 10-15 minutes. Drivers could start their vehicle and go without having to waste fuel defrosting a windshield. I would think this would be a big selling point for automobile manufacturers who did this.

Toyota installed PTCs in the Prius and their other hybrids to help get the cabin warmer. BMW and Mercedes have a "rest" feature to temporarily store hot coolant and use it when the car is off for a certain time.

The Americans once touted a Pilkington Insta-Clear windshield that used a electrically-resistive film sandwiched between the 2 glass layers and the PVB laminate and a upgraded electrical system. It was a flop. PPG had a similar trick with Sungate glass that angered GM owners - different purpose(UV and solar energy blocking vs. a windshield that can be defrosted quickly) but the thin-film lamination of that era wasn't that great. Tesla and Mercedes use a metallized windshield from PGW or AGP that's an improvement over the earlier PPG/Pilkington efforts.

What about a separate heater all together, I remember my uncle's Volkswagen had an air cooled engine but had s small heater that use Kerosene or
something similar. I was about 8 years old.

My diesel GL has a grid heater to get the cabin heat up quicker, as do most newer VW TDIs from the MK6 and up, around 2007. My 02 tdi has nothing, and it takes a long time to get consistent heat. Idling wont bring it up past 1/4 if the blower fan is on. I do notice that within my first 2-3 minutes of warmup, after I run back in to grab my water and apple and say goodbye, if i leave it on defrost on 1st fan speed it will start to melt the small area right above the windscreen, so even very slightly warmer, moving air will do something.

Didn't Lincoln(?) offer a feature like that once, with special high-power alternator to power the specially coated windshield?

Whenever there is freezing rain that takes forever to melt off with the defroster that won't get hot enough to melt it on the side windows, I just take my electric heater and put it inside the car. I turn it on an hour early, or so depending on temperature, and presto all clear.

IMG_5080.JPG

Originally Posted by otis24
saving on the amount of fuel used to defrost windshields

Defrost your windshield without using fuel, you say?

[Linked Image]

I did the same thing with a few cars at my last home. I'd put the heater in the drivers foot well and cabled to a high current timer.

I had the time set to run every other hour if I was on-call so the car would stay clear. If I wasn't on-call it would start a few hours before I woke. Car was about 80 degrees F, windows clear and ready to go.

Ford has had this system as a diesel-only option in SuperDutys since I believe 2008 (6.4 intro). Requires dual alternators - provides instant electric grid heat from a coil buried within dash. Virtually invisible unless you know it's there. I believe Ford term is "Supplemental Heat"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Traction
Whenever there is freezing rain that takes forever to melt off with the defroster that won't get hot enough to melt it on the side windows, I just take my electric heater and put it inside the car. I turn it on an hour early, or so depending on temperature, and presto all clear.

Originally Posted by javacontour
I did the same thing with a few cars at my last home. I'd put the heater in the drivers foot well and cabled to a high current timer.

I had the time set to run every other hour if I was on-call so the car would stay clear. If I wasn't on-call it would start a few hours before I woke. Car was about 80 degrees F, windows clear and ready to go.
That works so well, it is so fun to literally brush the ice off off your windshield.

Originally Posted by CR94
Didn't Lincoln(?) offer a feature like that once, with special high-power alternator to power the specially coated windshield?

some big Lincolns had Dual alternators.... I think it was for something similar?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by CR94

some big Lincolns had Dual alternators.... I think it was for something similar?

One alternator kept the battery charged. The other alternator put out about 90 VAC to quickly defrost the glass. Tests showed that it worked great. Unfortunately (if you own one of these rare vehicles), the glass is no longer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back