Collagen and Gelatin for protein supplement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I've discovered the health benefits of having a pressure cooker to get the remaining minerals from bones such as organic beef bones, chicken bones etc.
We've been using our pressure cooker to boil veggie scraps (onion peels, ends of celery etc.) and adding the bone refuse to the mix to boil away the remaining cartlidge and marrow from the bones.
It makes the most amazing smelling and tasting foods you can imagine (soups, stews, or add it instead of water when making rice or quinoa).

Back to the main reason for my post....I used to use protein powders after my workouts for the "extra protein".
Recently I've started having a heaping teaspoon of organic collagen and gelatin (both unflavored) to a half cup of boiling water.
Once you get past the taste (it's just a clear liquid) it's so much healthier than even the healthiest protein powders.

Nothing added, nothing fattening etc and it helps heal the intestinal tract of your digestive system and those with problems with nails breaking easily etc.
Here's what I use for collagen:
https://well.ca/products/organika-enhanced-collagen-protein_122774.html
And beef gelatin
https://www.purefeast.com/products/...G25PN4AIVGMNkCh0DwAQoEAYYASABEgJanfD_BwE

Just thought I'd share my experience
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Years ago I've discovered the health benefits of having a pressure cooker to get the remaining minerals from bones such as organic beef bones, chicken bones etc.
We've been using our pressure cooker to boil veggie scraps (onion peels, ends of celery etc.) and adding the bone refuse to the mix to boil away the remaining cartlidge and marrow from the bones.
It makes the most amazing smelling and tasting foods you can imagine (soups, stews, or add it instead of water when making rice or quinoa).

Back to the main reason for my post....I used to use protein powders after my workouts for the "extra protein".
Recently I've started having a heaping teaspoon of organic collagen and gelatin (both unflavored) to a half cup of boiling water.
Once you get past the taste (it's just a clear liquid) it's so much healthier than even the healthiest protein powders.

Nothing added, nothing fattening etc and it helps heal the intestinal tract of your digestive system and those with problems with nails breaking easily etc.
Here's what I use for collagen:
https://well.ca/products/organika-enhanced-collagen-protein_122774.html
And beef gelatin
https://www.purefeast.com/products/...G25PN4AIVGMNkCh0DwAQoEAYYASABEgJanfD_BwE

Just thought I'd share my experience
thumbsup2.gif

What I have read is that almost no American with access to normal food has an issue with getting enough protein on a daily basis. Maybe in Africa, but not in the America. All the ads for protein bars, etc are marketing.

Of course if you are a world medal weight lifter or a Olympic marathon runner maybe you need extra protein during competition. But for normal Americans with access to normal food, probably not.

Originally Posted by Zee09
Good for you. Honestly I'm a weird dude and that grosses me out.
I don't even like my food mixing on the plate....
I'd be better off being like you
smile.gif

Lol, thanks for the compliment.
I feel that we're all here to help and give each other advise on how to improve each others lives.
The more we share useful and constructive information, the more it helps everyone.
Originally Posted by StevieC
I love this stuff...

https://www.kettleandfire.com/

Nice!

Originally Posted by Donald

What I have read is that almost no American with access to normal food has an issue with getting enough protein on a daily basis. Maybe in Africa, but not in the America. All the ads for protein bars, etc are marketing.

Of course if you are a world medal weight lifter or a Olympic marathon runner maybe you need extra protein during competition. But for normal Americans with access to normal food, probably not.

While I totally agree about the abundance of protein in the North American diet, the reason reason for my post is for those who want quality protein with added health benefits.
Most protein offered in fast food/convention diets does not include vital minerals that nourish the whole body the way bone broth and collagen and gelatin does.

thanks for posting up these sources and ideas. I work weight train 3-5x a week and definitely feel the callogen depletion if i keep to lean proteins sources. Usually solved with a nice beefy cheat meal
smile.gif

My thinking is that my body has plenty skin and connective tissue, in addition to muscle, so if I eat animals I like to eat some cartilage and skin in addition to muscle meat. I am limited to what I can chew, of course. I like gelatin too, it is part of what makes soups and stews tasty, and adding a bit to the water you cook rice in has a nice effect. It doesn't have to be as expensive as the product in the OP, this one can be found at many retailers for less:
https://www.nowfoods.com/natural-foods/beef-gelatin-powder

Originally Posted by rideahorse
I see no proof of your claims on the quality of protein in the American diet. If you are going to make a statement like that its just your opinion.

When you get a slice of meat from a cow, it clearly does not contain any noticeable amounts of collagen and gelatin, mainly muscle tissue.
Bones, ligaments and connective tissue does. You don't need to be a scientist to figure that out.

Originally Posted by BearZDefect
My thinking is that my body has plenty skin and connective tissue, in addition to muscle, so if I eat animals I like to eat some cartilage and skin in addition to muscle meat. I am limited to what I can chew, of course. I like gelatin too, it is part of what makes soups and stews tasty, and adding a bit to the water you cook rice in has a nice effect. It doesn't have to be as expensive as the product in the OP, this one can be found at many retailers for less:
https://www.nowfoods.com/natural-foods/beef-gelatin-powder

True.
You also don't have to buy it, as all animal bones/carcasses has it already.
You just have to do a bit of work to get it into a state that's easy to consume and digest.
This is why I suggested the pressure/slow cooker idea.

I make bone broth in my Instant Pot all the time. The best is from bones/carcasses that have been on the smoker. The kids love it.

OP if you consume a lot of animal products, make sure to get bloodwork done annually . I would advise to use plant based protein instead for non-collagen needs.

Pure protein. Nothing that cooks can change that. Venison on the table even though it smells raunchy.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
OP if you consume a lot of animal products, make sure to get bloodwork done annually . I would advise to use plant based protein instead for non-collagen needs.

Truth be told, we don't.

Between my spouse and I, we'll eat meat literally once or twice every 3 - 4 days.
When we aren't eating meat we are eating mostly veggies (steamed etc) or other whole foods.
Beans and lentils with veggies also give you that "just full enough without feeling like your gonna burst" feeling.
Also keeps your blood sugars nice and balanced
smile.gif

When we do eat meat, we literally get every last drop of nutritive benefit from it.

Everyone's requirements are different, but the blanket idea that animal products are bad for you is (sort of) old, and thoroughly busted.

Originally Posted by 28oz

Everyone's requirements are different, but the blanket idea that animal products are bad for you is (sort of) old, and thoroughly busted.

+1 and if not been lied to for many many years.

We should demand a personal sculpted body picture be posted by the dietary police on this forum..... lol
Everyone is an expert and everything but green grass is bad for you.
I once knew of a man that boasted we all must eat a balanced diet. Well he did...
After a box of Twinkies he washed down with some sweet water he would eat a plum or two
and then a 20 ounce T bone....

Originally Posted by Zee09
We should demand a personal sculpted body picture be posted by the dietary police on this forum.

Lol, yeah. I'm sure you'd like to see that wouldn't ya
smirk.gif

Not arguing collagen/gelatin can have benefits, but claiming that it's needed because meat doesn't have it and that it's a quality protein is a little far fetched.

What essential amino acids does it have you can't obtain from other sources including meat, corn, soy, eggs, beans, and dairy? When it comes to quality protein the quality refers to the amount of essential amino acids. Eggs are a complete protein, dairy is depending on serving size and what you eat, dairy and soy are together, so are rice and beans.

If you would like to learn more about what quality proteins are, look up PDCAAS, or Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_Digestibility_Corrected_Amino_Acid_Score

Gelatin and collagen have a score of 0 with a range from 0-1.

https://pescience.com/blogs/blog/lesson-4-the-beef-protein-fad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back