13 Titan Vibration in 4th gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought this truck January of 2015 with 5,000 miles on it.
Around 16,600 miles I noticed that it vibrates in 4th gear starting around 53mph and mostly disappears around 65mph. This is a 5 speed Auto so 4th gear is rarely used for extended periods, but I occasionally manually select 4th gear if I know I won't be going over 55mph as the truck is in a hurry to get into overdrive for " fuel economy ".

Truck now has 68,000 miles and no problems to report besides this little issue. Truck has a 100k powertrain warranty. I'm trying to decide if I should live with it or take it in and go through the hassle of them saying can't duplicate etc.

Do they balance transmission gears before assembly?
When the truck had 11,000 miles I towed 6500+ lbs over 200 miles and I left it in 4th and it towed beautifully. I didn't detect this vibration at that time but I also maintained 65mph.

Thanks for any feedback.

Yeah it's definitely full. I've done several drain and fills with Nissan matic S.

Originally Posted by millerbl00
Had the same problem with my 2014, They replaced the driveshaft under warranty. Inproved it 90% was still there.

Was your vibration in just 4th gear as well?

Originally Posted by Anthony
Bought this truck January of 2015 with 5,000 miles on it.
I'm trying to decide if I should live with it or take it in and go through the hassle of them saying can't duplicate etc.

Seems to me you can duplicate it , so yes, I would take it in and ask they send a tech with you on a diag drive as you know specifically what it takes to show the issue.

Close inspection of u-joints in driveshaft, check to see if any balance weights on shaft have flung off, or if there is any evidence of dents in the shaft.

Do they balance transmission gears before assembly?

Yes, Rotating components large enough in diameter to cause vibrations are balanced. I've seen aftermarket components cause vibrations but it's rare for factory stuff.

Originally Posted by millerbl00
Had the same problem with my 2014, They replaced the driveshaft under warranty. Inproved it 90% was still there.

Was your vibration in just 4th gear as well?

not sure, the faster the worse it got

I believe 4th in that truck is 1:1 with everything locked and rotating together. It is possible the vibration is coming from something outside the tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back