DEF Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, what are folks seeing for DEF/AdBlue consumption? Just curios as to real world experience with consumption vs. driving type from other makes.

I have a '17 Range Rover TDV6 that uses over 1.50 gal/1000 miles, significantly over the 'average' of 6 pints/1000 miles. This vehicle consumes much more fluid during highway (~70-75mph) cruising than stop/go driving. This seems high for fairly typical usage, but I don't have any real world comparisons.

Your "average DEF usage", is that avg for other 2017 Range Rovers or for diesels in general?

I have never logged how much def I use. When it says below half, I stop at a truck stop and fill it up via their DEF pump,

Maybe I will try and log it in the future.

How about trying the new Mobil synergy diesel fuel? Better and more full combustion might reduce the need for DEF.

Hi Donald, the average is per my manual for the TDV6. I almost always buy Mobil for the main reason that the station is at the first intersection I see most days.

I just started logging after the vehicle went in for some warranty work which include a software update, and the DEF consumption seemed to increase markedly after that.

That sounds like a lot even with someone who has a heavy foot. Does your owners manual state anything such as DEF replenishment only required at every oil change? I had a BMW diesel (sedan) and I never ran out of DEF for the full 10k-12k miles OCI. However that was a lighter sedan vs the heavier SUV (X5 35d) yet IIRC even those SUV were supposed to be able to go the full OCI before needing a fill up.

If the manual states 6 pints / 1k miles then I would contact the dealership. Double check for leaks as well. DEF when dry will leave a white residue. That might be difficult to notice with all the winter time road salt residue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Hi Donald, the average is per my manual for the TDV6. I almost always buy Mobil for the main reason that the station is at the first intersection I see most days.

I just started logging after the vehicle went in for some warranty work which include a software update, and the DEF consumption seemed to increase markedly after that.

Keep in mind that Mobil stations were allowed to sell non Mobil diesel as Mobil did not have a diesel until recently. However Mobil is forcing the stations to only sell Mobil synergy diesel in 2019. But the pump will say Mobil Synergy.

Do you use any diesel fuel additives?

Our recently departed EcoDiesel had just under 17,000Km on it when we traded it. In that time it used approximately 1.5 tanks of DEF, as it was full when we bought it, I dumped in 1 2.5 gallon jug the fall when it was at about 1/4, and it was at about 1/4 when we traded it. DEF fluid capacity according to Chrysler is 8 gallons, so 10.5 gallons in 17,000Km, 1,620Km per gallon of DEF or 1025 miles per gallon of DEF.

Thanks.

I use the Power Service winter or Stanadyne treatments when it is very cold. Otherwise no. I do use the Stanadyne lubricity formula in my old diesel.

Thanks all. I had looked for leaks and didn't see any, but I'll look again after salt season. I'll reach out to the dealer next time I have to go there.

A friend drives a big truck with DEF. It's really funny to talk with him and his friends. They do exactly what you would expect....... With many of them able to drive unimpeded. (it seems the trucks reduce power when the tank is empty, then it finally shuts off)

Originally Posted by Cujet
A friend drives a big truck with DEF. It's really funny to talk with him and his friends. They do exactly what you would expect....... With many of them able to drive unimpeded. (it seems the trucks reduce power when the tank is empty, then it finally shuts off)

This vehicle will not allow you to start if you run it dry, it will stay running, but not allow a restart. There is ample warning though, so no real excuse for running out of fluid...

My Freightliner truck with a Detroit DD13 averages 230 miles/gallon of DEF. It's moving 78-80k lbs nearly every mile and then of course, there's a lot of wind and snow this time of year, too.

Originally Posted by dustyroads
My Freightliner truck with a Detroit DD13 averages 230 miles/gallon of DEF. It's moving 78-80k lbs nearly every mile and then of course, there's a lot of wind and snow this time of year, too.

For 12.8 litres? I'll have to do the math for consumption vs. displacement/power... Thanks.

Originally Posted by dustyroads

For 12.8 litres? I'll have to do the math for consumption vs. displacement/power... Thanks.

Mine is set at 450HP and 1650 lb-ft torque. There are several ratings.

With the EPA agency attention being focused on diesel emissions and few companies being fined a good chunk of money, I have a feeling the software update you received was done so that the company cannot be accused of cheating emissions. Since DEF is directly responsible for reducing NOx emissions, it would make sense that they increased DEF usage to lower NOx even further.

Last edited:
Here is the other side of the coin. This past fall I moved 93,000 pounds of hay into the yard. 200km round trip. 100km with the 4-5000 pound trailer and the return 100 with a truck/trailer/hay combined weight of 33,000 pounds. I cant recall fuel usage as I wrote it down and misplaced the sheet and the receipts were filed, might be around the 60 to 70 litre mark per trip. I used a 2.5 gallon jug, so approx. 9.46 litres of DEF total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back