2000 Tundra ECU replaced, then wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 V8 4x2 Tundra Auto. Original ECU was water damaged. So bought a used one with exact part number. Plugged in, won't start! Do i need to reprogram the VIN to the ECU? I verified with a locksmith that my truck does not have immobilizer and my key is a thin metal key. Please help. Many thanks.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
need to go to dealer and reprogram it!

This...

The ECU will realize it's not installed in the right vehicle by comparing the VIN# stored in it with the other modules in the vehicle. It will also not match the transponders in the keys.

I don't see anything about programming on that year Toyota, unless it has an immobilizer which yours does not. Have you verified power and ground to the ECM? What symptoms are there besides "it doesn't start". Do you have fuel pressure? Fuel injector pulse? Spark from the coils?

How did the original ECU get water damage? On a Tundra the ECM is high up under the dashboard, pretty darn protected from any water damage.

I don't think most Toyota ecm's back then could be flashed most were done when built but it must have the same part number not just model and year. plug it in and try to talk to it.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
I don't see anything about programming on that year Toyota, unless it has an immobilizer which yours does not. Have you verified power and ground to the ECM? What symptoms are there besides "it doesn't start". Do you have fuel pressure? Fuel injector pulse? Spark from the coils?

How did the original ECU get water damage? On a Tundra the ECM is high up under the dashboard, pretty darn protected from any water damage.

Thanks for the inputs, a locksmith came and said there is no immobilizer, it has been using a metal key (no chip). Everything you describe works EXCEPT no spark. This truck has been sitting with a broken front windshield, so water leaks into the dash (glove box) .... Thanks again

Try locking & unlocking the drivers door with the key cylinder. Possible if you have a factory/dealer installed security system that you triggered it. See if it starts after that

my 2001 VW would take a "fit" at times "thinking" someone was trying to steal it but cycling the key took care of it. good luck as modern electronics are a PAIN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back