Darn brake rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had luck spraying with penetrant and hitting back side with sledge, rotate 180. Keep repeating. It still doesn't break loose after a few minutes rotate 90 and then start another 180 rotation sequence.

first thing I do when i'm changing rotors is soak the center of the hub/rotor while i'm taking off the caliper etc. then work my way around it tapping it and usually comes off decently.

I've also done the air hammer trick hitting it it between the studs all the way around the rotor but again I soaked the center of the hub first.

Success! A couple of 3/8" carriage bolts, nuts, and washers through the caliper mount did the trick. Perhaps the dousing with Blaster last week helped too. Tightened up the bolts, whacked on the top hat, and there was a pleasant TWANK from each rotor. Took a wire wheel to polish up the hub faces, applied anti-seize, and the new rotors slipped right on.

cheers3.gif

if the failure prone chinese hub assemblies are same as GM cars be careful, Malibus have hundreds of early failures. sisters 2010 had 3 before dumping it at 9x,xxx miles others report even worse!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back