CRC GDI Cleaner, Carbon, and Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was watching a CRC (and a couple other) GDI cleaner video yesterday showing how GDI engine intake valves get carboned up over a period of time. I can buy all that, but in the CRC and one other video, it mentioned that not cleaning the hardened carbon can cause carbon to be dislodged from the valves, into the combustion chamber, and into the Catalytic converter, and Result In catalyst damage.

Which brings me to my question:

If I use a GDI cleaning product, such as the CRC or other brand, would having that carbon coming off the valves also result in the same damage described earlier? After all, the carbons gotta go somewhere..

I was wanting to do something like (valve cleaning) this to a GDI engine, and even though every product I have seen says "safe for Catalytic Converters, it makes me wonder what the difference is as far as carbon is concerned?

I've been using the product for quite a while on my Cousins first generation Veloster that is TGDI and it hasn't had any issues with the cat-codes. We usually do it once a year.

I guess the idea is to do it often and early before they become large chunks? So that they liquify off in the presence of solvents?

My understanding (and I might be wrong) is that if a large chunk of carbon hits the catalyst bed, its presence can cause a localized hot spot (because it acts as a fuel and also provides an uneven flow or obstruction) which burns through the bed. Or is the damage caused by an actual collision?

Once my Sportage hits 10K, i will use it too. I called their 800 number and asked abount the cats as well. They emphatically advised no damage to cats will come about using this product. But really, what was i expecting them to say. This is if i do use it, it will be every 10K miles...not less.

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe
I guess the idea is to do it often and early before they become large chunks? So that they liquify off in the presence of solvents?

My understanding (and I might be wrong) is that if a large chunk of carbon hits the catalyst bed, its presence can cause a localized hot spot (because it acts as a fuel and also provides an uneven flow or obstruction) which burns through the bed. Or is the damage caused by an actual collision?

This is what I was getting, as well.

Originally Posted by wemay
Once my Sportage hits 10K, i will use it too. I called their 800 number and asked abount the cats as well. They emphatically advised no damage to cats will come about using this product. But really, what was i expecting them to say. This is if i do use it, it will be every 10K miles...not less.

From what I understand it works to soften it in the process. I have no proof but I think that's how it works and it would make sense because of the soak period in the instructions and then a good drive thereafter. That said my cousins Veloster is fine and it passed it's recent emissions test in January.

203K KM (127K Miles). At 31,000km she had to take it into Hyundai because it wasn't running properly and that is when the valve cleaning was done by them so it has been about 172K Km (107K miles) since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back