What does "Delete Post" button do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Expect some guys are using the Test Forum as a holding spot for photos they want to link and be able to place them withing the text of their posts since the photo uploading feature is a bit archaic now with the software upgrade. So deleting all but the last 30 days of Test Forum posts probably broke some photo links in other posts.

Oh well.... Using a "test" forum as a permanent location for pictures ? Too bad.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Expect some guys are using the Test Forum as a holding spot for photos they want to link and be able to place them withing the text of their posts since the photo uploading feature is a bit archaic now with the software upgrade. So deleting all but the last 30 days of Test Forum posts probably broke some photo links in other posts.

Oh well.... Using a "test" forum as a permanent location for pictures ? Too bad.

Obviously "too bad". It would be nice though if photos could be embedded into the text and not all be forced to the bottom of a post. That was possible before the software change ... another "too bad" I guess.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by wwillson
Did you try clicking on the "upload inline images" button?

Ah yes ... that does work now like it use to. Thanks Wayne.
grin2.gif

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Warstud
1) Not necessarily....there's threads on most every forum that are meaningless.
You think they are. Someone else doesn't. Now what ?

3) Do you think the "What did you get for Christmas" thread is worth keeping archived? Is someone going to do a search for "What did you get for Christmas" ? I don't think so.
Have to admit, I didn't know this site had those type of threads. They are common at A LOT of other forums though so I'm not surprised. I don't take part in them at any forum I frequent either.

Going back to the archive question / issue - is there an issue ? Does the site have limited storage capacity ?

Examples of threads that should not be archived >>>>>

Interesting Wasp Nest>>>>> https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...017038/interesting-wasp-nest#Post5017038

Should stock BuyBacks be legal or illegal? >>>>> https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...buybacks-be-legal-or-illegal#Post5011843

How far is your commute to work ? >>>>> https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-far-is-your-commute-to-work#Post5014635

I think once these threads end up on the 10th page it's time to say "by by'". I'm sure no one searches for threads like these or responds to them once they drop back to the 10th page.

Last edited:
Too hard to go and delete specific OT threads. Just prune the whole OT forum like the others that are being pruned... nobody cares about any OT threads that are months old with no new posts.

Originally Posted by wwillson
The in-line uploader is available again - thanks for the suggestion

I know I would be more inclined to post pictures, if I could manage the images I upload to the site. Other sites allow this.

Too hard to go and delete specific OT threads. Just prune the whole OT forum like the others that are being pruned... nobody cares about any OT threads that are months old with no new posts.

Is it done from one date to another. example 03/01/2005 - 12/01/2018 ?

Is it done from one date to another. example 03/01/2005 - 12/01/2018 ?

That's what I'm saying, prune it like the other pruned forums - everything older than xx days since the last post. Not go in and cherry pick various threads.

There are 126 pages in the "Virgin Oil Analysis - PCMO/HDEO" forum that date back to 2002. Oil Formula is constantly changing. Does anyone care what the Formula was in XXX Brand Oil back in 2002 ? Probably only need to keep 1or 2 years worth of posts there.

Saturday would be a good day to prune the Virgin Oil Analysis forum

There are 126 pages in the "Virgin Oil Analysis - PCMO/HDEO" forum that date back to 2002. Oil Formula is constantly changing. Does anyone care what the Formula was in XXX Brand Oil back in 2002 ? Probably only need to keep 1or 2 years worth of posts there.

How will you know if the formulation has changed and how if you delete older VOAs?

Why is there a need to prune anything? Storage is cheap nowadays.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
How will you know if the formulation has changed and how if you delete older VOAs?

That's why I suggested keeping 1 - 2 years worth of posts there. No need to know what it was in 2002. (16 years ago)

Why is there a need to prune anything?

Because when you overload the server it slows everything down. That might also be why our search function doesn't work very good.

Why is there a need to prune anything? Storage is cheap nowadays.

The VOA forum only has 84 pages that takes it back to 2002. 84 pages isn't that much really - it's not a very active forum. I think the OT forum (which is now pruned to around 38 pages) went back may hundreds of pages prior to pruning.

If it was me, I'd be somewhat careful in the pruning actions ... obviously pruning stuff out of forums like Off Topic and Test forums isn't going to matter, but deleting some of the old threads might lose some good knowledge base. Case in point ... there was an old thread where Bob himself conducted some oil filter pressure drop testing on a home made test rig he and some guys put together. To me that was good information even though it was an old thread.

The VOA forum only has 84 pages that takes it back to 2002. 84 pages isn't that much really - it's not a very active forum.

I'm showing 126 pages but regardless.... it's still outdated info that is of no use.

I think the General and Off Topic forum (which is now pruned to around 38 pages) went back may hundreds of pages prior to pruning.

I'm showing 3,366 pages. You have to scroll to the bottom of the page and change the settings to "All Threads" and hit change...it goes back to 2002.

^^^ It all depends on how strapped the server is for storage space. Obviously some forums can be pruned heavily (OT, test and similar forums).

The VOA forum only has 84 pages that takes it back to 2002. 84 pages isn't that much really - it's not a very active forum.

I'm showing 126 pages but regardless.... it's still outdated info that is of no use.

Different browsers/computers.

Like someone also said, that old VOA data may actually be useful to see how certain oil brand formulations have actually changed. The oil manufacturers do not give VOA type of information on their formulations, so it's pretty valuable info IMO.

VOA Forum.JPG

Like someone also said, that old VOA data may actually be useful to see how certain oil brand formulations have actually changed. The oil manufacturers do not give VOA type of information on their formulations, so it's pretty valuable info IMO.

Your missing the point. Some of the VOA's are 16 years old It's like keeping receipts for something you no longer own.

Last edited:

Your missing the point. Some of the VOA's are 16 years old It's like keeping receipts for something you longer own.

You missed my point that it's still valuable info - especially if someone is interested in seeing how the oil formulations have changed over the years. Do you delete all the files off your computer that are older than 6 months old? Especially if you're not hurting for storage space.

I see threads all the time that will link to an old thread with lots of technical info because people don't want to recreate all the effort to supply such info. Lots of technical info is still valid today, and many old threads could be useful especially for newer members coming here who don't have history on what's been discussed. The forums that make the knowledge base that BITOG is known for should probably stay intact IMO.

Forums like Items For Sale, Off Topic, Test forum, Foods/Cooking/Beverages, Rebates, etc ... there's not much info in those forums that anyone would care to dig up or share with someone as a reference.

Is this board really that strapped for storage space to just flush a lot of knowledge down the tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back