Crashed the Volt this morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freaking idiot dill-hole dump truck driver decided he was going to turn left into a parking lot from the right lane, as I was coming up on his left. I had to quickly decided the amount of damage I wanted to sustain, as there was no chance of stopping, so I veered left and took out a sign. I barely tapped the back of his truck, I doubt he felt it.

I got out immediately livid, and he starts going on and on about how he "has to turn wide" and "his signal was on", all the while his other driver buddies hollering from their trucks "WITNESS! I SAW THE WHOLE THING!"

I had no time for their non-sense, so I left. The city can deal with my insurance about the sign. I didn't give him info, I didn't get any. I know what company they work for, I've already passed it on to Progressive. They can deal with it.

As far as I can see it needs:

Both front fenders
Front bumper
LF headlight assembly
Both turn signal assemblies
Something in the LF suspension (steering wheel is off, looks like the strut or knuckle bent)

With paint and labor, I'm guessing about $3,500 in damage, maybe more. Trade-in value is $4k, private party maybe $7k. We'll see what I find out in the coming days. I have to go get my Cadillac back from the friend that's borrowing it so I'm at least mobile again. The Volt drives OK and I can still use it tomorrow, I'm hoping an adjuster can come out while I'm at work.

Needless to say, it was a frustrating Wednesday.

IMG_20190220_110831.jpg

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Glad you are OK. I hate driving around dump trucks

Thanks boss. I didn't feel a thing, with all the snow and my relatively low rate of speed it was just a jolt. The bags didn't deploy or anything, although if I had continued on my path and hit the truck as I would have it would have been a lot worse.

Originally Posted by eljefino
So whose fault was this accident?

Obviously it's the other drivers fault. Unless it's now legal in Minnesota and PA to make a left hand turn from a right lane.
wink.gif

Whoever on the Police report!(???) Unless he lives in a "no fault" State!(???) But if you are at fault falsely, take it to court, you think the Truck driver is going to stop his job to come in-front of the judge? They don't have time for that, usually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Obviously it's the other drivers fault. Unless it's now legal in Minnesota and PA to make a left hand turn from a right lane.
wink.gif

This is my point of view, as well. As the investigator will surely point out when they contact the company. I don't care how big your truck is, you lose the right of way as soon as your perform an illegal maneuver.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

Whoever on the Police report!(???) Unless he lives in a "no fault" State!(???) But if you are at fault falsely, take it to court, you think the Truck driver is going to stop his job to come in-front of the judge? They don't have time for that, usually.

Minnesota is a no-fault state.

No fault where I drive means each insurer takes care of their own client.
However, blame is assigned as to who is at fault in the crash. The at fault party can expect an increase in insurance rates.
Not sure how Minnesota works "no fault" insurance.
Given the extensive damage your car sustained, if it was me, I would have insisted all parties stay on the scene, get witness names, phone numbers and wait for the police.
Here the limit is $1000 damage for self reporting a crash.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

wink.gif

This is my point of view, as well. As the investigator will surely point out when they contact the company. I don't care how big your truck is, you lose the right of way as soon as your perform an illegal maneuver.

The trucks have to make wide turns. They are not illegal, however the burden is on the truck driver to make sure he or she is clear to make that turn. A good truck driver will signal their intention and make it clear they are going wide. This sounds like it happened fast but I wasn't there so that is conjecture.

Glad you are okay. That's the big issue.

Sorry to see that. I'm afraid the Volt is a bit more expensive to repair than we expect.

This deer hit I had with mine in 2015 ended up costing $9,500. I hope yours doesn't end up costing as much as mine.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Not sure where you were in Minnesota this morning, but if it was like it was here, we had several inches of snow on the ground already (and ended up with about 8.5 inches all said and done). If it was snow covered roads, that is relevant as:

A. Strong possibility that the truck did have its turn signal on, but it was covered by snow. Happens all the time, and even more so with LED lighting.
B. Where did the truck start from? Were the the lane lines even visible? Did he just cheat over to make the turn?

I won't get into stopping distance.

At $3500 in damage, you are required to file an accident report with the State. (Any accident with over $1000 damage) Legally you have 10 days to do it. Had you actually gotten the police out there, you'd already be done with this. Instead, you got mad and left.

The police also could have verified the lights were working on the truck, etc. and been done with it. Leaving was a poor choice.

Also, did you report that you hit the sign? What type of sign was it? As someone who worked on the other end of things, without the report that the sign is down, it won't be replaced. How would they know they need to? Also typically done by the police.

Glad you are OK.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Not sure where you were in Minnesota this morning, but if it was like it was here, we had several inches of snow on the ground already (and ended up with about 8.5 inches all said and done). If it was snow covered roads, that is relevant as:

A. Strong possibility that the truck did have its turn signal on, but it was covered by snow. Happens all the time, and even more so with LED lighting.
B. Where did the truck start from? Were the the lane lines even visible? Did he just cheat over to make the turn?

I won't get into stopping distance.

At $3500 in damage, you are required to file an accident report with the State. (Any accident with over $1000 damage) Legally you have 10 days to do it. Had you actually gotten the police out there, you'd already be done with this. Instead, you got mad and left.

The police also could have verified the lights were working on the truck, etc. and been done with it. Leaving was a poor choice.

Also, did you report that you hit the sign? What type of sign was it? As someone who worked on the other end of things, without the report that the sign is down, it won't be replaced. How would they know they need to? Also typically done by the police.

Glad you are OK.

I know leaving was a poor choice. I live in town, and I'm a mechanic for a living. I put my job before most things especially on days like today. I spoke with the adjuster tonight, she didn't take issue with me not having a police report or leaving the scene. I was completely honest about the entire thing. Right now I'm just waiting to hear more details.

I sometimes drive very large Prevost style coaches.

If I ever need to make a tight right turn, I will straddle the lanes and always use the turn signal to warn other drivers of my intentions in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back