2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y_K

Looking at one for a family member. What do I need to look for, please?
Never dealt with those before.

The 2017 hybrid model has all the bugs out. I have the same powertrain in a 2015 C-Max hybrid, and it is great. 2013 & 2014 versions of this powertrain had some issues with some bad transmission bearings, but that should all be in the past.
Highly recommend the Fusion Hybrid. My C-Max gets 44 MPG average, has plenty of power & zip off the line, and has been trouble-free.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
The 2017 hybrid model has all the bugs out. I have the same powertrain in a 2015 C-Max hybrid, and it is great. 2013 & 2014 versions of this powertrain had some issues with some bad transmission bearings, but that should all be in the past.
Highly recommend the Fusion Hybrid. My C-Max gets 44 MPG average, has plenty of power & zip off the line, and has been trouble-free.

Same for me -2016 C-Max.
Plenty of power. Great mpg but tight seats.
Mine has never been back to the dealership.

I rented an '18 in Florida, 48 mpg in combined city/highway driving, temps 55-75, no A/C used. Great car, but limited trunk space. You can only fit 3 carry-on sized suitcases. The only downside of the SE trim I rented is the tiny back-up camera screen.

If your driver/passengers are short (e.g. < 5'4") you may find the seat cushions are too long.

I rent them with some regularity. Very nice driving car. Even with careful operation, the best I can do is about 41-42MPG. I like them a lot and should probably consider purchasing one.

I've been looking at the Accord hybrid, but the dealership wants way too much.

Very little maintenance items needed to be done on a 2017 Fusion in the last couple of years. Not much maintenance history needs to be examined on a used one. Oil changes are 10k miles, and its port injected, easy on oil. I changed out the transmission fluid on my C-Max at 50k miles, but its supposed to go for 150k technically.

It comes down to the usual things on a used car. Any accident history? Test drive it to make sure it doesn't make any funny sounds, you know, all the usual inspection stuff.
It weighs almost identical to my C-Max, and uses the same 225/50-17 tires unless its a Titanium upscale version I think. Fusion has a better drag coefficient than a C-Max, so you can expect slightly better highway MPG. Most highway driving you'll probably get as bad as 36 MPG, and city driving can hit 50 MPG easily.

I'd like to buy a new Fusion Hybrid Taxi (it's like the Cop-car version too) new type. They beefed it up for this, and, you don't have to get it in yellow!
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2019/2019_FusionHybridTaxi.pdf

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by dogememe
Haha those are cool. Taxi cab yellow has got to be one of the ugliest colors ever

One of the safest too

Originally Posted by Y_K
Originally Posted by dogememe
Haha those are cool. Taxi cab yellow has got to be one of the ugliest colors ever

One of the safest too

Agree. I want people to look at my car. Not so I can enjoy some advertising-induced delusional ego trip, but rather, so they won't hit me!!! Alas, my current "magnetic gray" car is only slightly less invisible than its black predecessor. It was the only one they had, and I needed one immediately. Oh well. . .

...and back on point. I've never driven one of the Ford hybrids, but I know a guy who has a C-Max and he speaks very highly of it. I'd note that his experience, the small amount of it I know, sounds a lot like mine with the Toyotas. Mostly good, but with a few minor inevitable annoyances -- pretty much like most complex machines designed to satisfy many competing demands.

I'd give my wholehearted stamp of approval. If you look on Hertz's car sales site you can find them all day for $15k or even less. A truly incredible value proposition.

Go forth in confidence.

Originally Posted by EricBeau
I'd give my wholehearted stamp of approval. If you look on Hertz's car sales site you can find them all day for $15k or even less. A truly incredible value proposition.

Go forth in confidence.

A Titanium Hybrid goes for approx. $17500 on the Hertz website. Maybe I should rent one. Currently looking for an Avalon, but if the Ford is truly dependable, might be something to look into.
However I cannot find any real data on the newer Hybrids. Car Complaints and True Delta and Dashboard Light don't have anything about them, but overall they don't give the Fusion
much reliability.

Originally Posted by blueglide88
A Titanium Hybrid goes for approx. $17500 on the Hertz website. Maybe I should rent one. Currently looking for an Avalon, but if the Ford is truly dependable, .....
Titanium is the top trim, so I'd expect them to be a little pricey. ... They are nice though, with bigger wheels & tires. ...... Avalon Hybrids are going to cost an arm & a leg. Avalons have more room in them, are probably more reliable to some degree, yet cost a lot.

I think I'd recommend anything 2015 or newer in a Fusion or C-Max. It just seems there were so many problems in 2013 & still some in 2014 models, maybe avoid those. Of course, if any recall repairs or quality issues were repaired properly, then even a 2013 or 2014 wouldn't be bad.

I was surprised Ford had issues in their Hybrid powertrains in 2013. They had been running basically a similar planetary gearset (Prius-like) hybrid powertrain since 2004 in Ford Escape Hybrids, legendary for durability in New York City taxi service. I think they changed suppliers around that time (2012-ish), and the design changed-evolved a bit then too.
Anyway, bottom line is Ford has been putting out good hybrids for 15 years now, with a couple of hiccups 5 years ago, but they are experienced. Ford techs at dealerships have had plenty of experience too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back