U.S.A. Options for MC oil in 15w-40?? (either dino or synthetic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a heck of a time trying to find an appropriate motorcycle oil for my bike, which is calling for a 15w-40.

The only legit option I can really find with a claimed (but not actually certified) JASO MA rating is Rotella T4.

I've heard it didn't shift too well in my Kymco Spade, so I'm looking for an alternate. I came to discover that the JASO MA rating is pretty much just a lack of energy conserving, friction modifiers. And I also discovered that any Universal Diesel Oil with a trailing 40w or 50w viscosity rating supposedly lacks these friction modifiers.

So basically, I found two dino alternates to the Rotella for my break-in.... Some old stock "NAPA Performance" 15w-40 (rebadged Valvoline) that actually comes in 1 quart bottles... Or Mobil Delvac Super 1300, which I can only find in the larger jugs.

I ended up buying the old stock NAPA oil because (1) I only need 1 quart for my break-in, and (2) the specs for that bottle looked pretty much ideal -- No moly and about half the calcium of the Rotella with more magnesium and maybe more zinc and phosphorus (can't remember for sure, but they're at least similar here).

Does anybody actually think this is a terrible idea, considering this rebadged Valvoline oil doesn't claim to meet JASO MA standards, like Shell does?

And what non-Shell options are there for Synthetic 15w-40 oils that won't cause my clutch to slip?? I'm asking for non-Shell options, because Rotella T6 is not a 15w-40, and even Shell recognizes that their T5 synthetic blend isn't appropriate for motorcycles..... not because it has friction modifiers, but because it's TOO THIN... even tho it's claimed to be a 15w-40, it's really not. (See here for that: http://pqiamerica.com/HDEO_Sample_Summary_Dec_2016.html )

So is there anything synthetic in this viscosity that doesn't come from Shell that would be appropriate for a 5 speed mini motorcycle? I'm almost tempted to just go with a 15w-50 or even a 20w-50.... but I'd certainly prefer not to.

I'm not familiar with your Kymco, but many motorcyclists are 'lubricant agnostic' and use whatever is on sale, and dump it when the shifting becomes notchy.

I usually fill my crankcase with T6 when I put my FZ1 away for the winter, and I dump it in July and put in either Mobil 15W50 or a 15W40. I don't even bother to change the filter in the summer, which is fine according to the owners manual.

I'll easily get 150k miles on this engine, unless I drop it, or sell it and buy something 'age appropriate'...

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Late breaking news is that Rotella now has a T6 15-40 synthetic with the JASO MA rating as I recall.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...re-rotella-t6-15w40-not-5w40#Post5011991

WOW! That could be awesome..... But wait....

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
How can you go from Fully Synthetic to Full Synthetic Blend in less than a sentence?

crazy.gif

"And what non-Shell options are there for Synthetic 15w-40 oils that won't cause my clutch to slip?"

Your clutch wont slip on 5w40 or 10w40 unless theres something totally wrong. Heck CRF450s dont slip on 10w30..

My advice is if you arent comfortable with the 15w40 and you are stuck on synthetic is to go with Valvoline 4T 10w40 you can find it at walmart or autozone just about anywhere. Meets all the specs and is a fine oil.

Rotella 15w40 is in shared gearboxes of lots of thumpers and UTVs with wet clutches.. ive used it myself and have never read anything but good out of it or Rotella 5w40.

I ran plain ol' cheap SuperTech or TSC Traveler 15W-40 oil in my Suzuki VZ800 Marauder for 84,000 miles.

I'd just run whatever 15W-40 you find for a good price.

I have been using M1 15-50 in bikes for many years and never had/have clutch problems. I have a Kawi H2 supercharged making over 200hp and no clutch slip. If you must have MC specific oil M1 MC 10w-40 or 20w-50 can be had for $10 qt. The M1 15w-50 can be had for $24/gallon at wallyworld.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
My advice is if you arent comfortable with the 15w40 and you are stuck on synthetic is to go with Valvoline 4T 10w40 you can find it at walmart or autozone just about anywhere. Meets all the specs and is a fine oil.

I am definitely comfortable with the 15w-40.... that's why I want something in that viscosity.

Would I be crazy for wanting to go to a 15w-50 instead of a 10w-40?? This is a transmission oil after all...

Last edited:
Maybe this is my opportunity to mix oil before the T6 15W-40 becomes available in my area!!!

10w-40 + 20-50 or something crazy!! Who's comin' with me?!

Any 15W-40 HDEO should be fine.

Note, for any MC oil: If you see an Allison C4 approval on the bottle, it's good-that's a wet clutch spec.

I have owned 5 different common sump metric bikes over the last 8 years & 8 different scooters...here's what I have learned: any 10w-40 or 15w-40 worked good in my various Suzukis, Yamahas, and Honda up to 2500 miles (my usual tolerance maximum oci since I realize the clutch & transmission break down oils from 40wt to 30wt); I usually frankenbrew my leftovers and add new stuff each year with conventional & synblend 10w-40 and conventional or synthetic 15w-40); the only time I had an issue is when I used mystik 15w-50 synblend in an '09 v star 650...the transmission didn't prefer it & I lost tactile response during shifting; I have even added a bit of super tech 10w-30 lawnmower oil to thin the frankenbrew 2 or 3 years ago during a cooler autumn to help with flowability...no issues!

Last edited:
Rotella 15W40 JASO MA (self certify) ($4.XX at Walmart)
Valvoline 10W40 JASO MA motorcyle ($4.XX at Walmart)

Pick one. Dont mix, match, try other stuff.

These two oils are excellent, and will work fine. If you don't like the Rotella, drop it and try the Valvoline.

I looked up the bike. its a 150cc fuel injected mini out of Taiwan. I wouldn't bother with synthetic. It gives notchy shift performance in the two Asian bikes I have tried it in.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back