Best place to file online for Fed taxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used freetaxusa.com for the first time ever and it was awesome, free, and my refund's on its way now 10 days later. (I filed the weekend before last on fears the gov't would shut down again.)

They want to charge me for a state return but my state is simple enough to do by pen and the state itself has an online portal.

I had a 1099 for royalties from my narrating audio-books for ACX-- it all worked out without extra fees like the other shysters.

TurboTax, they walk you through everything. Very simple and they do my state for free in the same session.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I used freetaxusa.com for the first time ever and it was awesome, free, and my refund's on its way now 10 days later. (I filed the weekend before last on fears the gov't would shut down again.)

They want to charge me for a state return but my state is simple enough to do by pen and the state itself has an online portal.

I had a 1099 for royalties from my narrating audio-books for ACX-- it all worked out without extra fees like the other shysters.

This! Maybe we shouldn't let the secret out, they'll start charging!

I happily paid the $12.99 for state, beat the $70 Taxact wanted for fed+state.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by eljefino
I used freetaxusa.com for the first time ever ...
This! Maybe we shouldn't let the secret out, they'll start charging! ... I happily paid the $12.99 for state, beat the $70 Taxact wanted for fed+state.
Or TaxHawk.com, which I believe is the same. Remarkably easy, well designed, and fast site, even with my slow connection. Your second time with them will be even easier, because they save your data from the previous year, and pre-fill blanks for you, as much as possible. And 10% off that $12.99 if you use their discount code. I filed Sunday, and received prompt acceptance from both IRS and SC.

People on this forum seem very concerned about privacy, so why are you e-filing with these providers? The more free they are, the more likely they are collecting your info and probably selling it. I've read the privacy policy of some of them, and they admit to collecting your information for marketing purposes.

It's better to use a paid software program, block its internet access with a firewall, and paper file. Only when the program needs to update should you allow it internet access

No need to paper file. Use Freefilefillableforms and then delete the information after you file. Thats what I do.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Freetax USA (or TaxHawk-the same). At least I did last year-- still working on this year's returns but no problems yet. Replaced Tax Act when that product kept increasing costs to (almost) Turbo Tax/Block levels. Big fan of Credit Karma for most things, but it had trouble with my semi-complex returns (part of a racehorse and a couple of rental properties) in '16 and '17. Used Tax Slayer about fifteen years ago and liked it before switching to Tax Act-- would give it another try but think FreeTax USA is cheaper and they carry the data over.

Figure the whole Internet makes money by selling my personal information one way or another. Also think it's pretty easy to just have someone snag your returns from Snail Mail. Don't trust the post office for bill paying so why would I trust it for my tax forms?

Originally Posted by xfactor9
People on this forum seem very concerned about privacy, so why are you e-filing with these providers?

I checked freetaxusa out before I used their service, and found no reason to question their security. I have zero complaints and plan to use them next year. Filed end of January and received the federal refund last week, printed the state stub out and sent Arizona what they wanted. Always seem to owe Arizona $500
cry.gif
That's nothing compared to car registration time.
cry.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_File_Alliance

People on this forum seem very concerned about privacy, so why are you e-filing with these providers? The more free they are, the more likely they are collecting your info and probably selling it. I've read the privacy policy of some of them, and they admit to collecting your information for marketing purposes.

It's better to use a paid software program, block its internet access with a firewall, and paper file. Only when the program needs to update should you allow it internet access

This ^^^^^^^^

No one does anything for "free" that others are selling.

Originally Posted by billt460

This ^^^^^^^^

No one does anything for "free" that others are selling.

Hmmm.... no Linux, no Chromebooks, no Libre Office, no Android, no over the air TV, no Roku? No thanks.

Last edited:
I've had my taxes done by a friend that owns her on small business. Then, I could itemize. Can't anymore. So, I had used turbotax in the past and came across their free version. I gave it a go. Wow. So easy. Their security seemed legit. Took me about 25 minutes, to include the dreaded Oklahoma tax, and was finished. Amazed. It was so easy. They even downloaded my wives W2 from the hospital she works at and I checked it, it was spot on. Probably wizzed off my tax friend, but saving 80 dollars for only 25 minutes of "work"? Sorry, I just couldn't let that go.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Credit Karma, it's free.

That's what I used.
I used to use a CPA firm named Dewey,Cheatem & Howe but they got too expensive.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Credit Karma, it's free.

This is what I used too. It was very easy to use and it was free including state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back