Never even knew I had a cabin filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until I was reading through some posts here. This is from a 13 Ford Fusion with 65,000 km. Looks like something was trying to make a home in there.

20181027_130937.jpg

I had mice decompose on top of my cabin filter until the filter rotted through and lost structural integrity. The dessicated mice and acorns then fell into my squirrel cage fan motor and alerted me to the issue.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I had mice decompose on top of my cabin filter until the filter rotted through and lost structural integrity. The dessicated mice and acorns then fell into my squirrel cage fan motor and alerted me to the issue.

And you never smelled anything?

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I went over 100,000 miles on a car without changing the cabin air filter. When I did change the filter, it was in good shape.

I change mine every year and it always has debris in it.

Never trust the factory to install them either...Our 2005 LaSabre never had one installed...found out after 40K miles...we had feathers and paper and junk stuck in the fan,,,lol,,luckly we got the junk out...never trust that factory install bunch.....imho

To CourierDriver: Regarding your signature, I keep the number 16.38 in my back pocket.
It's the number you divide the cc or ml amount/size of an engine to get cubic inches.
My 2.435 liter Volvo engine is 148.65 cubic inches (2435/16.38).
It's handy.

I have used a few of those Pot Auto filters from Amazon and installed correctly and fitting fine they whistle a bit
I don't know if that is better air flow or something else. May do that until they get a bit dirty?

I just changed mine again this morning, every 30k reliably. It looked like yours but without the fur/hair or cig butt. It's important to change them regularly!

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
I just changed mine again this morning, every 30k reliably. It looked like yours but without the fur/hair or cig butt. It's important to change them regularly!

Esp if someone in the family has Asthma or COPD.

Originally Posted by Kira
To CourierDriver: Regarding your signature, I keep the number 16.38 in my back pocket.
It's the number you divide the cc or ml amount/size of an engine to get cubic inches.
It's handy.

thanks

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
It's handy.

thanks

You're both right.

61 cubic inches/litre (1000 cc or cm^3) is very close. 61.02374 is exact per the 'net.

The inverse of 61.02374 inches^3/litre = 0.01638707 litres/inch^3, which is the same as 16.38707 cm^3/inch^3.

So, divide the cubic inch displacement by 61.0 (to three significant figures) to get the displacement in cubic litres. Let's do the well-known Ford 302 ... 302 cubic inches/61 cubic inches/litre = 4.95 litres. (And 302 is already rounded ... let's calculate it exactly.

Bore = 4.00 inches, stroke = 3.00 inches.

Cylinder cross-sectional area = Pi x (Radius^2) = Pi x (4/2)^2 = Pi x 2^2 = Pi x 4 inches^2.

Cylinder volume (one cylinder) = cylinder cross-sectional area x stroke = Pi x 4 inches^2 x 3 inches = Pi x 12 inches^3.

Engine volume (displacement) = Volume of one cylinder x # of cylinders = Pi x 12 inches^3 x 8 = Pi x 96 inches^3 = 301.6 inches^3.

Now let's convert that to Metric - 301.6 inches^3/61.0 inches^3/litre = 4.94 litres. That rounds closer to 4.9 l, so really Ford shouldn't call their 302 the '5.0'. Or maybe it squeaks past if you use enough decimal places ... (Chevy would be fine calling their 305 or 307 a 5.0 litre though!)

Now let's go the other way ... take my ancient Mazda JE engine - the '3.0' SOHC. It's really only 2958 cc. 2958 cc/16.38707 cc/cubic inch = 180.5 cubic inches. This was hot stuff in '89, a bit dated by its swan song in '98.

... I keep the number 16.38 in my back pocket.
It's the number you divide the cc or ml amount/size of an engine to get cubic inches. ...
2.54³ is more accurate, and easier to remember besides.

I never owned a cabin before. I do own a house and I use 14x20 filters for my furnace. :)

I never knew I didn't have a filter on my 99 Tauras until I went to change it. Big hole there. New filter fit right in the hole. Also broke off all the cowl plastic screw hold-down screws on that first filter service. Car was only 4 years old at that time.

Those were the "Quality is job #1" years. It only got better (worse) from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back