Mobil 1 5w-30 @ 6.5k; Acura TSX @ 200k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Wix analysis kit for the heck of it. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at though. Can anyone here interrupt the results for me? It would be much appreciated!
I'm new at posting here so I hope the results show up!!
Its Mobile1 Synthetic 5W30 . The car is a 06 Acura TSX with 199880 miles. The oil had 6500 miles on it.
Thanks in advance

Oil.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. When I clipped the results, I missed all the info. I edited my post and added it ! Thanks

I think the wear metals look great, but the viscosity and TBN sound really low for only running 6500 miles!
I think M1 5W30 starts out at something like 11 cSt at 100C.
Is the engine in this TSX known for thrashing oil?

Did you have to add any oil to it over the interval? And if so, how much? I'd replace the pcv valve with an oem unit if it hasn't been done in the last 100k even if the old one still rattles.

As other have commented, looks good but TBN is low for 6500 miles if it was M1. Wear metals look good for a 200K engine. Silicon is fine so air intake & filter are good.

Did you yourself actually open new containers of M1 and pour it into your engine? Or go to JiffyLube and ask for M1 oil?

It was 5W30 from a 5qt Mobile 1 jug. I dont let anyone touch my cars unless its something that requires a rack. What is TBN?

Originally Posted by MachinistMan
What is TBN?
https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/articles/what-is-total-base-number/
Iron & aluminum looks normal, so this engine shows no signs of problems with internal wear.

Viscosity should have been a little higher, like around 9 to 10 or so. Yours was low, but not too low. You may have had some fuel dilution, where gasoline gets into the oil to some extent. Nothing to really worry about. That, and a low-ish TBN means you're right to change the oil at 6,500 miles like you did. Good call on when to dump the oil there.

Looks good to me but I don't like pushing my TBN no further than 2.0 and you are at 2.5 so I think 7,000 would be a good number.
This gives you a bit of a buffer in case it falls a tad lower at some other time you could do 8K no problem though as nothing is alarming here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Looks good to me but I don't like pushing my TBN no further than 2.0 and you are at 2.5 so I think 7,000 would be a good number.
This gives you a bit of a buffer in case it falls a tad lower at some other time you could do 8K no problem though as nothing is alarming here.

I think this is good advice regarding TBN, but I am still concerned by that low viscosity.
I wouldn't think that an engine of that type and age would normally be a big fuel diluter, maybe there is some kind of a fuel injector issue here?
M1 5W30 is actually reasonably thick for an SN-RC 5W30 (looked it up and it is 11 cSt at 100C out of the bottle) and dropping to 8.6 in 6500 miles seems like too much of a loss to me.

OPer, did you do any topping off during this OCI? If yes, what oil was used?

The wear metals look great so the engine doesn't seem to be getting chewed up, but I'd still worry that something odd is happening.

It slipped a grade into 20wt territory but just barely... I wouldn't worry about it at all. He can check for fuel dilution at a lab that does it (Not BlackStone though),
but honestly where the number is I wouldn't worry. I've spend hours over the past decade pouring over UOA's here.
grin2.gif

20wt.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MachinistMan
It was 5W30 from a 5qt Mobile 1 jug. I dont let anyone touch my cars unless its something that requires a rack. What is TBN?

In the simplest of terms, TBN tells you how much life the oil has left. The higher the number the better.

@wemay,
be careful budd! Stay out of 5Wx30 threads ... You may end up switching back
lol.gif

Thanks for all, well,most all of the comments LOL . The results make a lot more sense now. I did find out that my son had added a quart of oil around 4500 miles. He put Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, which has a Viscosity @ 100ºC of 9.8, compared to 11.0 for Mobile 1. Maybe that explains the slightly low number? I'm just glad he took it upon himself to add oil!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back