Red Line 0w-30, 9,478 Miles, 2008 Lexus GX470

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kkreit01
Just curious...if you are spending that much $ on oil, why not spend another ~$9 and change the filter also? Yes, I know it "provides protection up to 20,000 miles"...

Not about money - just ran out of time. I have a Fumoto that makes the oil change easy. Oil Filter requires skid plate removal and was hectic before the holidays. Figured I would leave it on, especially give both the rating of the filter and the lower wear numbers for this family of engines. First time I've ever left the filter on!

Originally Posted by NYSteve
Originally Posted by kkreit01
Just curious...if you are spending that much $ on oil, why not spend another ~$9 and change the filter also? Yes, I know it "provides protection up to 20,000 miles"...

Not about money - just ran out of time. I have a Fumoto that makes the oil change easy. Oil Filter requires skid plate removal and was hectic before the holidays. Figured I would leave it on, especially give both the rating of the filter and the lower wear numbers for this family of engines. First time I've ever left the filter on!

I've done that several times for those exact reasons you stated. With a Fumoto, I just drain and refill. Maybe it's bad to assume that a good well made oil filter will last a good year, but that's what I've done in the past. The oil filter is where all the mess comes from. I usually skip the filter if I'm in a rush or changing the oil in early winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back