Help Me Choose A Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb question, but can you run a Google Fi phone on a plan that is not a google plan? Those 149 dollar Moto X look like an awesome value, but they say they are Google Fi. I like Straight Talk and am not sure if those would work.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Originally Posted by Vibe_2007
Dumb question, but can you run a Google Fi phone on a plan that is not a google plan? Those 149 dollar Moto X look like an awesome value, but they say they are Google Fi. I like Straight Talk and am not sure if those would work.

https://www.motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility

Looks like it will.

I didn't see that. Thank you for the link sir.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud
I'm getting low on minutes with my Tracfone so I might as well get a new Smartphone. Besides the Galaxy S7 what phone would you recommend ?

https://www.hsn.com/shop/tracfone-c...amp;query=tracfone&isSuggested=false

This is stupid SIMPLE.
Ive been using cell phones for over 25 years, including a work Iphone
This phone blows everything away at ANY price as far as I am concerned and it only cost $225. unlocked ...

https://consumer.huawei.com/us/phones/mate-se/

Dont believe me, then believe over 1,000 other people who own the phone - Click here

Dont believe them? then search for sites that actually review and use the phone.

After that, if you dont believe them, your hopeless :eek:)

Once you buy the above phone, if you are even a little bit good with computers,
go to https://www.redpocket.com and select an unlimited cell phone plan, we have 3 lines, unlimited everything with 5gigs of high speed lte per line for $73 a month on ATT, you also can select any major carrier you want, I like ATT.

If you dont think you can do the above yourself, then get the phone and pay a little more to Cricketwireless as I think they are a little better at hand holding and helping people since they are ATT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I'm getting low on minutes with my Tracfone so I might as well get a new Smartphone. Besides the Galaxy S7 what phone would you recommend ?

This is stupid SIMPLE.
This phone blows everything away at ANY price as far as I am concerned and it only cost $225. unlocked ...

Dont believe me, then believe over 1,000 other people who own the phone - Click here

Dont believe them? then search for sites that actually review and use the phone.

go to https://www.redpocket.com and select an unlimited cell phone plan, we have 3 lines, unlimited everything with 5gigs of high speed lte per line for $73 a month on ATT, you also can select any major carrier you want, I like ATT.

If you dont think you can do the above yourself, then get the phone and pay a little more to Cricketwireless as I think they are a little better at hand holding and helping people since they are ATT.

I thought our government banned ZTE and Huawei due to esponiage concerns. The Huawei phone company does major dealings with the Chinese military with contracts and R&D. Verizon refused to stock their phones.

This is stupid SIMPLE.

I thought our government banned ZTE and Huawei due to esponiage concerns. The Huawei phone company does major dealings with the Chinese military with contracts and R&D. Verizon refused to stock their phones.

Nope, not banned. No, again, Verizon did not refuse to stock their phones and their phones can be used with any carrier in the world.
US government did prevent Verizon and US carriers from buying their phones. However, sales of their phones in the USA are not banned.

For those that do not know, Huawei is the second largest maker of cell phones in the entire world, the world is a big place, known everywhere except the USA. Huawei is expected to overtake Samsung as the largest manufacturer of phones in the world by the end of 2019. Apple is a distant third place now.

Originally Posted by ZZman
The Moto X 4 is on sale now for about $149.00. For a new phone is an an awesome deal. Check out the reviews online.

We have two (Google Fi) and they are excellent phones. They are unlocked and will work with other carriers. We've had them since they came out and not a single problem. My only negative is the camera is just ok but for the price it works for me.

Don't get this one. It is VERY difficult to repair.

Our's have never even had a hiccup, totally flawless operation. Also @ $149 who repairs a phone anyway? Do you? I doubt it.

Last edited:
US government did prevent Verizon and US carriers from buying their phones. However, sales of their phones in the USA are not banned.

What's banned is their ability to bid on government contracts in the States (and many other countries). This province just decided to turf them, as well, from the 5G upgrade.

I bought one of the Lenovorola $149 X4's last week, and it does seem to be an especially good value right now, if there are any left.

For the price, it has a decent camera, which was my main interest.

Might add it shipped with 8.something out of the box, and upgraded to 9 a day or so after it was online.

Last edited:

Doing that right now, my Nexus 5x is with Cricket.

Originally Posted by Garak

What's banned is their ability to bid on government contracts in the States (and many other countries). This province just decided to turf them, as well, from the 5G upgrade.

Re-read my post, here you go re: Verizon and ATT = Click here

Again, Huawei is not in anyway banned from selling products in the USA.
... Huawei Cell phones are freaking amazing at any price point and why they are the number 2 maker of cell phones in the world, they may even be number 1 before the end of 2019 without ATT/Verizon/USA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BobsArmory
The Motorola Moto G6 and G7 are great deals for a mid priced smart phones. My wife and I run the G6. Haven't had any issues.

I just ordered the Moto G6. Thanks to those that recommended one of the phones in the link I provided.lol

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
The Motorola Moto G6 and G7 are great deals for a mid priced smart phones. My wife and I run the G6. Haven't had any issues.

I just ordered the Moto G6. Thanks to those that recommended one of the phones in the link I provided.lol

Looks like a great phone and sure you will be thrilled with it.
The reason for these great deals on these great products is it seems ( to me anyway) the Chinese Smart Phone Companies of which Motorola is also Chinese company are almost doing a play book from the 1970s and 80s Japanese automobile play book. When high quality Japanese cars were hitting our market at reasonable prices.

You do not in ANYWAY need to spend over $250 on a smart phone, in fact you can even buy REALLY good ones for $80.
Anyway while Apple (which is falling behind now) ignores peoples desires to pay less then $200 for a telephone, the Chinese have stepped up to the plate and sell great ones for $75 to $250.

Its the greatest feeling in the world about not worrying if you lose your phone, drop your phone, go swimming with you phone, crack your screen, at these prices, just go buy a new one.

Last edited:
Re-read my post, here you go re: Verizon and ATT = Click here

Again, Huawei is not in anyway banned from selling products in the USA.
... Huawei Cell phones are freaking amazing at any price point and why they are the number 2 maker of cell phones in the world, they may even be number 1 before the end of 2019 without ATT/Verizon/USA.

I know they're not banned for sale. They just don't get any government contracts, and anyone with sensitive data concerns would be nuts to trust them.

They're sold here, by SaskTel, even, last time I checked. But, they got their contract for upgrades turfed.

Moto G5 Plus here, using it for over 1.5 years, does what I need, fast with 4GB RAM, good size (64GB) and expandable storage, battery lasts long 2 days with good usage , paid about $220 in Fed Reserve bills for brand new back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back