2018 Kia Niro UOA 6,300 miles 1.6 GDI Hybrid (Fuel In Oil)

Here is the report for my 2018 Kia Niro Kappa III 1.6 GDI hybrid. I had dropped factory oil at about 1,000 miles and put in GTX Magnatec 5W 30. Ran for about 6,300 miles. Sometimes when we turn the car on, we smell fuel fumes. It worries me that we have fuel in the oil, an issue I have looked up and others have. Any thoughts about this?
Thanks

Screenshot_20190219-104103_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Unfortunately seems to be common in many of these small tgdi/gdi engines. I think you should cap OCIs at 5k max.

The fuel dilution is high, blackstone typically underreports fuel dilution due to their testing method.

I would shorten oci(try 5000 miles) and/or use a thicker oil.
The oil thinned almost to the limit of Xw20 it should in the range of 9.3-12cst
You wont smell fuel fumes from oil dilution on startup.
it would be noticeable on the dipstick when checking oil.

I wouldn't go past 5K miles with that fuel number.

Also if the driving pattern changes to include more short trip driving in cooler weather you might want to shorten it further in that circumstance.

Last edited:
Keep it to 5K oci until fuel dilution abates some. For some reason, fuel in oil appears to be more prevalent when the vehicles are new, and tend to dilute less with miles.

Originally Posted by Rand
The fuel dilution is high, blackstone typically underreports fuel dilution due to their testing method.

I would shorten oci(try 5000 miles) and/or use a thicker oil.
The oil thinned almost to the limit of Xw20 it should in the range of 9.3-12cst
You wont smell fuel fumes from oil dilution on startup.
it would be noticeable on the dipstick when checking oil.

This. With Blackstone's notorious underreporting of fuel dilution that number is likely much, MUCH higher.

I agree on the 5k oci.

Interesting that Blackstone recommended going to 7.5k oci despite the 3.3% fuel dilution and the fact that their calculations tend to be conservative.

What is your use cycle like? My engine is DI but doesn't get near this much gas in the oil, granted, most every time I start it up, it goes 30-45 minutes before shutoff.

I live just a bit up 35 from you.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I agree on the 5k oci.

Interesting that Blackstone recommended going to 7.5k oci despite the 3.3% fuel dilution and the fact that their calculations tend to be conservative.

Yeah if Terry sees anything over 2% he is concerned because of the increased oil temperatures today it will easily varnish up the engines excessively at any higher than 2%.
He's got quite a few Honda 1.5T folks dumping really early.

Last edited:
I'd forget all about this and just drive the car. You have a great warranty to fix any issue this will likely never cause.

See if the dealership can inspect the engine for the fuel smell.
If smelling fuel, that is something you should put in writing. Then put a copy of the written note in the mail to Kia, another copy to your Service Advisor, & use this bobistheoilguy thread & your Blackstone report as documention. Tell Kia & your service advisor that you have documented it and are tracking the issue. Could actually be a bad injector, or maybe rings that aren't wearing in properly, don't know. Could be a Kia design problem too.

Fight the viscosity loss by using Mobil1 0w40 from Walmart. It will gradually thin out to a 20 weight over time, from fuel dilution. You'll at least have enough viscosity margin to keep the engine from wearing excessively over a normal 8,000 mile oil change interval here. Also, when you change the oil, don't fill it up to the full line. Fill it up to halfway between the Add Line and Full Line on the dipstick in case the extra fuel dilution is raising your level. And keep an eye on the level, checking it every Saturday, once a week.
Originally Posted by Brons2
My engine is DI but doesn't get near this much gas in the oil, .
The Niro is a hybrid. The engine stops & starts a lot during driving. That, and the DI, would contribute to this issue, yet Kia has a problem I think. I have a port injection Ford hybrid and I don't have fuel dilution.

I have made contact with KIA, they now have a case assigned to me, and I will be going to Ancira Kia when we get back from Florida to have it looked at. I will advise in this post, and perhaps another one elsewhere if anything significant is located. Thanks for all of your thoughts.

Blackstone is the last place to send oil for fuel dilution testing. Send it to Polaris Labs. I am over 5% at 1,000 miles on my Hyundai 1.6T in Minnesota and short tripping. I dump at 2,750 in the winter. The cost of GDI T's in winter.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by PimTac
I agree on the 5k oci.

Yeah if Terry sees anything over 2% he is concerned because of the increased oil temperatures today it will easily varnish up the engines excessively at any higher than 2%.
He's got quite a few Honda 1.5T folks dumping really early.

Does Terry Dyson still recommend using a Fram air filter to combat fuel dilution? Back in the day I remember him telling me to do this. Something to do with air/fuel mix/ratio...

He is using fuel brand & type recommendations and fuel additives for fuel dilution. He does like Fram air filters changed regularly for Si control.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
He is using fuel brand & type recommendations and fuel additives for fuel dilution. He does like Fram air filters changed regularly for Si control.

Cool. Thanks!

Back