Premixed Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
…...
Originally Posted by Sayjac
…..Without a doubt. Premix is a nice racket for the AF companies though. It's also the predominate type sold as Asian AF, hard to find as a concentrate.

'If possible', concentrate plus distilled is the way to go.

Pep Boys has Asian coolant concentrate for about $20 a gallon. Recochem OEM brand. And when it's on sale, it's even less. I've seen it as low as $14/gal for the same Recochem concentrate....
As I've posted about PB 'OEM brand' AF both on this board and the promo board many times, I'm well aware of it's existence. I'm also aware that it's now becoming much harder to find at b&m PB stores. 'Appears' PB may be eliminating it as stock dwindles. Also doesn't change the main premise, that premixed AFs dominate the Asian AF marketplace.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
100% correct . Truth is the majority of people do not have the sense to walk and chew bubble gum , at the same time ! :-(

It's not just water either. There is a Starbucks just down the street from me. Every time I go past in the morning, there are at least 10 to 15 cars wrapped completely around the building, idling with their brake lights on, and waiting to creep through the drive through.

I've never been in a Starbucks in my life. I just can't see paying $5 for a cup of frothy, sugar soaked "coffee". Let alone having to wait in line for it. Yeah, I know not everything they sell is like that, and they have some unique "regular" coffee products as well. But these people are there every morning. Day in and day out. Add that up over time, and look at what they are spending on coffee in the course of a year, before they drive to work every day. It's insane.

If I enjoyed something on their menu that much, to where I just couldn't function without it. I would find a way to make it myself before I left for work, and put it in a nice big, insulated cup. They've got these Espresso / Cappuccino / Latte machines for sale everywhere. Some are pretty ornate and expensive. But I don't care how much they cost, they'll more than save you money over time. And they'll make any kind of sweet, frothy, foaming slop imaginable. And you can buy the same exotic coffee beans, that are grown by Cannibals in the Sumatran jungle, just like Starbucks does. All with enough caffeine to stop an Elephant's heart.

I can see Starbucks once in a while, just like Baskin Robbin's or Dairy Queen. But not every single day. Sometimes you just want a quick treat, and $5 bucks isn't going to kill you. But it just seems so easy today to separate people from their money, without them even thinking about it. Or using simple arithmetic to see how quickly it all adds up over time.

I use the pre mix as it's convenient and I just hate messing with it. If it were big $$, I'd certainly mix it, but hey, I also use TruFuel, cause again it's handy, and easily stored. I really don't use enough of it to really be a big deal, again, if I did I'd mix it.

But, as for the Starbucks, I'm right there with you. You see, I DO drink enough coffee to make the difference!!!!!!

If I were to mix antifreeze, ... let's see how about Rocky Mountain Spring water?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
concentrate + a gal of distilled under a buck works for me, i keep an xtra antifreeze container on hand + mark 50% when mixed easy peazy + $$$ for refreshments leftover!!

So how long can one store premix? I just came across a half full jug of 50/50 ethylene glycol in my garage. I honestly don't know how old it. I've been using concentrate for years now, but years ago I did keep premix on hand for quick top offs. It appears to be more yellow than the bright green you see opening up a new bottle.

Yay or Nay on keeping it?

Last edited:
It sure depends on a few things why people choose premixed vs concentrated, be it price, availability, convenience, lack of knowledge or laziness.
When I was shopping for good quality long life coolant for my application I found that concentrated ran about $20 a gallon while premixed was about $8 a gallon, so I chose premixed.
I did buy a gallon of Kia concentrated in the past when found it at a reasonable price (for top ups) and still have some left along with distilled water I mix it with.

….When I was shopping for good quality long life coolant for my application I found that concentrated ran about $20 a gallon while premixed was about $8 a gallon, so I chose premixed....
Ime, you stumbled on a severe outlier. In that rare case, obviously premix the better buy. As a general rule, premixes significantly more expensive than equivalent concentrated AF and distilled.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
….When I was shopping for good quality long life coolant for my application I found that concentrated ran about $20 a gallon while premixed was about $8 a gallon, so I chose premixed....
Ime, you stumbled on a severe outlier. In that rare case, obviously premix the better buy. As a general rule, premixes significantly more expensive than equivalent concentrated AF and distilled.

WM long life concentrate is under $10 bucks and if I'm not mistaken it's made by Prestone (or was it Peak??). Prestone concentrate is usually around $12, so not very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back