Shell Rotella Gas Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, first time poster. I'm a big fan of Shell and mobile 1 products. Just curious if anyone's tested Shell gas truck oil yet? I know it's still new I'm just trying to see if it's worth the hype and if anyone has more info on it. Like for viscosity ECT. Thanks for your help.

Read through the Q&A didn't have much info at least none that I'm looking for.

It's motor oil that takes up additional shelf space for SOPUS.

How much do these guys get paid to stealth market these products?

Originally Posted by BLND1
It's motor oil that takes up additional shelf space for SOPUS.

How much do these guys get paid to stealth market these products?

good answer!!!!

First time poster as well.... I am interested in using this in my 2.7 Ecoboost....

I'm seeing prices on here for ~$24 for the 5 quart jug at Walmart. I haven't had a chance to see if they stock it at my store yet or not.

I don't get all these categories of oil. How about one oil built extremely well that is well priced that fits a lot of applications. Why have another bottle line for minimal sales and have it compete with everything else out there?
Why also tell your customers through marketing that your regular product isn't up to the task of Truck/SUV's and that they need to step into something else? Seems silly to me.

I think it will flop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
It's the latest fad. It will go away in time like all other fads.

You'd think they would have known when the Quaker State 4x4 type marketing of synthetic in clear bottles back in the late 1990's and early 2000's didn't work.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Dragon44
Hello, first time poster. I'm a big fan of Shell and mobile 1 products. Just curious if anyone's tested Shell gas truck oil yet? I know it's still new I'm just trying to see if it's worth the hype and if anyone has more info on it. Like for viscosity ECT. Thanks for your help.

Read through the Q&A didn't have much info at least none that I'm looking for.

It's so new on the market, I don't think anyone on BITOG has had time to run it and get a used oil analysis to see how it works.
If you have a gas truck that you work hard, give it a try and post your UOA on BITOG.

Shell makes similar claims about better anti-oxidant additive chemicals in Rotella Gas Truck as Mobil1 does with their Annual Protection premium oil.
It is true that great anti-oxidants can make an oil last longer. Rotella Gas Truck has a little more viscosity than some other syn oils to counter fuel dilution seen in turbo direct injection engines.
Rotella Gas Truck is on solid ground. They launched it with dexos1 Gen2 performance certification as well. It is likely good oil, and priced about right at Walmart.

Originally Posted by ford4wd08
First time poster as well.... I am interested in using this in my 2.7 Ecoboost....

I'm seeing prices on here for ~$24 for the 5 quart jug at Walmart. I haven't had a chance to see if they stock it at my store yet or not.

This shell gas truck oil cost 1 dollar more per 5qt jug vs the motorcraft oil at WM. So my f150 with the 5.0 will cost 2 dollars more vs motorcraft per oil change. Once members post analysis's we can actually see if its worth the extra two bucks with my vehicle. My guess would say it is, but at 24 bucks there are multiple choices for that price point.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Shell makes similar claims about better anti-oxidant additive chemicals in Rotella Gas Truck as Mobil1 does with their Annual Protection premium oil.
It is true that great anti-oxidants can make an oil last longer. Rotella Gas Truck has a little more viscosity than some other syn oils to counter fuel dilution seen in turbo direct injection engines.
Rotella Gas Truck is on solid ground. They launched it with dexos1 Gen2 performance certification as well. It is likely good oil, and priced about right at Walmart.

You are correct. It's likely just fine. Just like multiple other sopus products. In fact, they have 3-4 that fill the same market space.

Stealth marketing is a thing. These thinly veiled attempts to generate discussion and interest in SGT are a little heavy handed.

Shell's Q&A fizzled out and didn't get the reception they hoped for. Now we are seeing several 1 post count new members here "really interested in gas truck, anyone have any good info?"

Please.

They say SRGT is good for "towing-hauling", and it is indeed a good idea to seek out an oil that is on the thick side of the spec your truck or car needs for heavy duty use like that.
-----So they are right. Viscosity loss is a problem in some of those applications especially. .... And overheating oxdation problems can also occur.
I trust SOPUS products. They know they have to market properly, and this stuff does hit the target market's needs, whether or not the customer actually knows what advanced anti-ox chemicals can actually do for their engine or not.

As for other products that compete with SRGT, any premium product with thick viscosity in its spec range should do as well, this is true.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Taking bets if we see it next year in a high mileage brew

I'm betting it's gone all together in 5 years. What are the odd's paying out on that one? Put me down for $20usd
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Additives are now antioxidants. I guess that sounds better to consumers.

Introducing new Shell Juice Cleanse for your engine. To be used in conjunction with Shell Calonics Engine flush, pour into the tail-pipe bruh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back