Kia CAN bus system, a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
From 2008 onward, all US vehicles were required to use some version of the CAN system for OBD2. Some used it years prior. My Kia van is a 2008. I'm looking at getting a ScanGauge 2, which lists Kia-specific gauges for 2009+ vehicles, but not 2008. Tech support told me that some 2008 Kias did not adopt the CAN system, and they could not specify if my van uses it or not. How can I find this out? I have an ELM327 and use torque pro, with Kia PID extensions in the app.

Well I can confirm via the wiring diagrams that your PCM is indeed on the CANBUS line. It also has a dedicated K-line, but all that does is run to the same diagnostic connector as the CAN lines. I had to assume a ScanGauge is compatible with your vehicle. It may be missing a few PID's, but that's probably it.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Well I can confirm via the wiring diagrams that your PCM is indeed on the CANBUS line. It also has a dedicated K-line, but all that does is run to the same diagnostic connector as the CAN lines. I had to assume a ScanGauge is compatible with your vehicle. It may be missing a few PID's, but that's probably it.

Thank you for this. I'm mainly interested in oil temp and trans temp, both of which the ScanGauge can do, IF my vehicle supports it. I really wish I could find this out beforehand somehow! I suppose if it has CAN like the other Kias, those PIDs should work just fine.

Last edited:
Amazon.com carries it. You can always return it if it doesn't do what you need it to.

Also if the X-Gauge isn't available on their website, e-mail them because they have other gauges not listed on the website.
I was interested in programming my X-Gauge for Trans temperature in the Caravan and they sent me programming instructions meanwhile it's not listed on the website.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=scangauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back