Synthetic DOT 3 or 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by y_p_w
Depends on which one. Castrol used to sell a DOT 4 fluid called Castrol-LMA for "low moisture activity".

Sure, I remember LMA. I haven't seen it in years.
smile.gif

I believe is stood for "Low Moisture Absorption".

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Depends on which one. Castrol used to sell a DOT 4 fluid called Castrol-LMA for "low moisture activity".

smile.gif

Looked it up. It was "Low Moisture Activity".

Someone was trying to sell an empty can on eBay. This must have been really old because I remember when it came in white HDPE bottles in the mid-90s/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

smile.gif

Castrol still makes it; they just don't use the LMA name on the label anymore. It is simply called Castrol DOT 4 now
smile.gif

smile.gif

As slacktide_bitog indicates, I think they just changed the product name. I've got an older and a newer bottle in the garage. I might have to take a look to see what's actually changed, at least what I can see.

smile.gif

Someone was trying to sell an empty can on eBay. This must have been really old because I remember when it came in white HDPE bottles in the mid-90s/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That must be ancient, since they are now headquartered in Wayne, N.J., and not Newark anymore.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dailydriver
y_p_w said:

smile.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yep. I took it to a shop that used Castrol GT-LMA on everything whether the manufacturer spec'ed DOT 3 or DOT 4. Once I bought in a bottle of Valvoline Pyroil DOT 4 for them to use, but it wasn't enough for both the brakes and clutch. They charged me $5 for a bottle of that back in the 90s. That was more than what I paid for that 32 oz bottle of DOT at WM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back