Champ Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions please on Champ oil filters. If I want a "Concours correct" oil filter for my 1967 GTO it looks like it is made by Champ. Honestly, I never heard of it. A couple of guys in the Pontiac club suggested Wix as their #1 choice. Any opinions? Thanks

I like Champ. This is the one for your vehicle...Not sure if it's "Concours correct"
https://champfiltration.com/single-product/?partnumber=PH44XL&id=20022

Capture.PNG

Concours correct would be an AC PF24 filter with a white can and red lettering which is what would have been installed on the engine when it left the factory. The new AC filters are blue and not correct.

I don't mind changing to the concours correct white filter for shows. That's not a big deal. I was wondering about the quality of the Champ filter as compared to others if I leave it on the car instead of switching to a Wix or other brand for "normal" driving. If the Champ Concours correct filter is as good as other filters then I would just leave it on.

I wouldn't put a no name oil filter on a $1,000 beater. Why are you even condsidering it for a vintage muscle car. You can get the correct blue AC Delco for under $5 for regular use and slap on the white version for shows. How much cheaper is a Champ?

I believe its basically a mobil 1 or very similar to the mobil 1 before they changed their media to last 20k.
probably superior to the oem in every way.

That certainly looks like a Champion Labs base. I remember buying tons of AC PF47s for my dad's car since it was a chance for me to change oil. They were typically selling for about $2 and of course I could find oil cheap (maybe $1/qt). But I got familiar with all the different markings on the box of an AC filter. AC Rochester had this slightly curved base. Delphi had a recessed base. The ones made by Champion Labs didn't have a manufacturer's mark on the bottom. And occasionally I'd see filters that were marked as being made in the UK.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I wouldn't put a no name oil filter on a $1,000 beater. Why are you even condsidering it for a vintage muscle car. You can get the correct blue AC Delco for under $5 for regular use and slap on the white version for shows. How much cheaper is a Champ?

Champ isn't a no name filter as you claim. They build the Mobil 1 filters, TRD filters and before K&N went to off shore and Mexico they were also Champ made. Nothing wrong with a Champ filter.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I wouldn't put a no name oil filter on a $1,000 beater. Why are you even considering it for a vintage muscle car. You can get the correct blue AC Delco for under $5 for regular use and slap on the white version for shows. How much cheaper is a Champ?

Champ isn't a no name filter as you claim. They build the Mobil 1 filters, TRD filters and before K&N went to off shore and Mexico they were also Champ made. Nothing wrong with a Champ filter.

It's certainly not a household name like Fram or Purolator or even Mann or Purflux. Maybe it's me but I don't see why people try to save $2 buying an aftermarket oil filter instead of using an AC Delco for GM, Motorcraft for Ford, Mopar for Chrysler, Honda for Honda, etc. Helll, they are often cheaper than the aftermarket filters.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

And the good news is K&N are now being made by champion labs again. yep, not a no name brand.

Most Delco are made by Champ Labs and Ford OE on new vehicles is or was. Toyota TRD is Champ Labs, and Mobil 1. Champ filters as their own brand aren't seen as often not really sold in common stores. I wish they had stuck to the round holes in the tube rather than the scoops which can be malformed.

It's certainly not a household name .... I don't see why people try to save $2 buying an aftermarket oil filter instead of using an AC Delco for GM, Motorcraft for Ford, Mopar for Chrysler, Honda for Honda, etc. Helll, they are often cheaper than the aftermarket filters.

Champ makes the AC Delco filters for them.

Factory installed FoMoCo filters are Champ.
Motorcraft = Purolator, which USED to be good.
Mopar filters = usually Champ, I think sometimes Fram.
Honda = Fram (usually)

There are different levels of Champ filters and different level of AC Delco filters. We cannot just clump them all together.

Different levels exist for most-all brands. Example: I'm about to try the $5 K&N Silver after going the past 11K on the $9 K&N Gold.

Thanks. It sounds like Champ makes filters for a lot of OEMs and after market, I just never heard of them. At $22 each for the concours correct AC, I probably won't cut one apart prior to use. I'll trust the good folks here and Champ.

It's certainly not a household name like Fram or Purolator or even Mann or Purflux. Maybe it's me but I don't see why people try to save $2 buying an aftermarket oil filter instead of using an AC Delco for GM, Motorcraft for Ford, Mopar for Chrysler, Honda for Honda, etc. Helll, they are often cheaper than the aftermarket filters.

Personally I think oil filtration is overrated. The most important thing is that

However, Champion Labs is a huge company making tons of OEM and house brands. Since GM sold off most of its parts manufacturing they've been going to Champion Labs more or less. They make a ton of filters sold as Bosch, Mobil 1, STP, K&N, and numerous house brands. Not that I necessarily trust the STP name, but if I recognize the design as one from Champion Labs I wouldn't hesitate to use one for the right application.

The invented the bypass valve at the base end that many filters use these days. They probably make more OEM filters than anyone else.

https://www.champlabs.com/brands/original-equipment-supplier/

Originally Posted by Linctex

It's certainly not a household name .... I don't see why people try to save $2 buying an aftermarket oil filter instead of using an AC Delco for GM, Motorcraft for Ford, Mopar for Chrysler, Honda for Honda, etc. Helll, they are often cheaper than the aftermarket filters.

Champ makes the AC Delco filters for them.

Factory installed FoMoCo filters are Champ.
Motorcraft = Purolator, which USED to be good.
Mopar filters = usually Champ, I think sometimes Fram.
Honda = Fram (usually)
Mopar can be just about anything, but it seems like more Purolator than anything else. I've even seen a few Magneti-Marelli made ones around, guess they're pretty tight with Fiat.

Originally Posted by Building3
Thanks. It sounds like Champ makes filters for a lot of OEMs and after market, I just never heard of them. At $22 each for the concours correct AC, I probably won't cut one apart prior to use. I'll trust the good folks here and Champ.

Seriously at $22 a filter the should be filtering 99% at 5 microns!

Basically you are paying not to lose points at the concours judged shows. That's why I started this thread...is Champ good enough for permanent use or just screw it on for the show and then take it off? looks like I can leave it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back