Phosphorus 912
Zinc 1036
Barium 3

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 52.9 55-63
cSt Viscosity @ 100C 8.16 8.8-11.3
Flashpoint in F 410 >375
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0
Water % 0.0 Insolubles % 0.1 TBN 4.6 >1.0

Congrats on your new Subaru! I just picked up my sixth today (07 Impreza). The 3.6s I believe still have an oil cooler, so that is where your copper is coming from. Even at 35ppm iron, I'm torn that you shorted the OCI (but can't say for sure I wouldn't have done the same). Holy Moly! Over 1000 ppm, that is the highest I can remember. Weird, because Subaru says 5W30 conventional is still recommended, but certainly doesn't look like a conventional. It did shear quite a bit / get diluted with a little fuel, so just keep an eye on that in the future. Since it's brand new, I probably wouldn't do another UOA until around 20k miles, just because you will still be washing out this initial assembly scruff.

What oil do you plan on using? I've always had great results with the yellow brand, but in the big picture it probably makes no difference except in cost. You sticking with synthetic or are you going to try conventional?

Johnny, there's no reason to doubt they will. This report, other than mileage, is almost identical to one posted last year:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Holy Moly! Over 1000 ppm, that is the highest I can remember. Weird, because Subaru says 5W30 conventional is still recommended, but certainly doesn't look like a conventional.
A lot of moly isn't correlated with either conventional nor synthetic oil. Assembly lube has moly in it at the factory and stays in the oil here.
Flashpoint is also hard to use to tell if its a syn or not, as many conventionals have a 428F flash point, and a typical synthetic has about a 445F flash point. With fuel dilution skewing the number downward it gets difficult to tell.
What are you using to say its a synthetic here?

Johnny, there's no reason to doubt they will. This report, other than mileage, is almost identical to one posted last year:
[Linked Image]

That scares the H out of me I guess I'll stick with my Toyota aluminum 2 iron 4 on a 5K OCI.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

That scares the H out of me I guess I'll stick with my Toyota aluminum 2 iron 4 on a 5K OCI.

It's a brand new engine on it's factory fill. What were you expecting?

I had not planned on changing it. Was going to do a mid OCI test
but when I took it in to fix a window issue. They changed the oil. Gurrrrrr. The dealer put in 5w-30 Mobil Super. Not super synthetic.
I will run it to 6k and have Subie 5w-30 put in

I find it odd they recommend conventional oil and owners manual says initial fill is conventional. But. And a big but
Subaru does not have a 5w-30 conventional oil. Just synthetic
So I wonder what is put in. Half tempted to get a jug of Subaru oil have it tested to see if the results are close.
Hummmmm

Looks fine for a break in oil. A lot of moly in there.

There is a saying about Subaru oil analysis reports; silver and lead, she's dead. Yours are zero.

Originally Posted by Ken42
I had not planned on changing it. Was going to do a mid OCI test
but when I took it in to fix a window issue. They changed the oil. Gurrrrrr. The dealer put in 5w-30 Mobil Super. Not super synthetic.
I will run it to 6k and have Subie 5w-30 put in

I find it odd they recommend conventional oil and owners manual says initial fill is conventional. But. And a big but
Subaru does not have a 5w-30 conventional oil. Just synthetic
So I wonder what is put in. Half tempted to get a jug of Subaru oil have it tested to see if the results are close.
Hummmmm

What your Subaru dealer sells behind it's part counter is not the same as what's in the large drums of bulk oil, there in the service department.

3.6s are fine on conventional oil. BUT, my personal preference is to always run synthetic. Even something as simple and inexpensive as Harvest King synthetic at $13.99/5qts will provide plenty of protection when staying within the OM recommendations for your service type (normal or severe). My personal choice will be PP 5w30 all day and the engine will provide a long, happy service.

Some research has suggested that oil induced lubricating tribofilms form quicker with conventional oil than certain synthetics. May be why some like to run conventional oil for break-in and/or first few OCIs. Wouldn't worry about that . . .

Looks like pretty standard break-in UOA. Nice to get that initial Si out of there . . .

Last edited:
OP, not sure why you wouldn't want this changed. It's good to get this stuff out. I did an early change and ran conventional oil for the first 5k and have been running Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 3.6R with no issues.

Last edited:
It did shear quite a bit / get diluted with a little fuel, so just keep an eye on that in the future.

I doubt you will find any Subaru factory fill uoa from a car that specs 5W30 that wasn't a 20 grade. The factory fill probably shears as soon as they start the car to help with CAFE.
grin2.gif

"Synthetic" or "conventional" doesn't even matter in an H6 at 6k mile intervals, IMO.

Last edited:
Or they put in a 20 weight
Trolling.gif

I am sure any oil from Wally world that is 5w-30 and sn rated will work
fine out to 6k
Subaru says change the first full at 6k even if you drive under extreme conditions

Originally Posted by Ken42
Or they put in a 20 weight
Trolling.gif

hooked.gif

I've read here that if they recommend a certain viscosity they have to use that viscosity for the MPG tests. I've also read here that it wouldn't be very difficult to create a low HTHS/kinematic viscosity oil loaded with VII's that would shear right away.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back