Cardone Ultra Premium Powder-Coated Calipers

Status
Not open for further replies.
While performing a brake inspection on a RX350, I found the front caliper dust boots to be torn. I have heard some positive feedback on the Cardone Ultra calipers so I ordered one to try. Upon opening the box, this is what I noticed:

- Powder-coating was very nice, but I did notice some powder-coat inside of the slide pin bores.

- The box was very very nice.

- The pistons had some chipping so I think they were reconditioned and reused.

- The dust boots appear to have been reconditioned and reused. The material definitely did not feel new.

- No bleeder cap was included. I had to reuse the old one.

- The bushing on the slide pin was found to be torn when I removed the pin from the bracket. The bushing did not feel like it was new (it was stretched and a bit swollen); again, I suspect that it was reconditioned and reused.

- The bag of hardware appeared to be covered with specks of powder-coat.

On a positive note, the caliper works properly and does not leak. And it looks good. But I think Cardone is really pinching their pennies on the remanufacturing process itself.

7087049B-25E5-4FA9-B755-C2E08E71E85C.jpeg

52FBE388-F998-4C6D-9948-3D2DE396B79F.jpeg

9F66A741-FD88-459F-A606-00544B2BDC1C.jpeg

04547EF0-5DA3-4E6E-BBD5-28133329972A.jpeg

B1B46B6A-26B4-461B-B344-F51187321C95.jpeg

A39C1767-3084-44EC-B225-274D2BBD440F.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for that detailed review. I would put this in the "only if I had to" category of parts. IMHO quality parts assemblies come with all the small pieces, new.

For my 05 Honda Pilot, I found the new rear caliper slide pins from Dorman came with the little black end bushing/spring clip, while the Raybestos came with none, I guess expecting you to re-use the one from Honda. But I buy new parts to replace old parts, not play mix and match. Irritating.

After six months in use on my wife's Volvo, the coated calipers are starting to bubble up with rust around the bleed screws.

They looked great initially.

But the finish durability leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
Critic are the new calipers from Raybestos available for that one, I bet they are the same or less than reman and very decent quality.

Originally Posted by double vanos
For me, those kind of parts (brakes, sensors, pumps etc.) OEM is where I go.
I think I would spring for an OEM caliper too, but I could see why a normie would not want to pay for OEM parts + California labour rates.

That is so sad to hear
cry.gif

Napa Eclipse is the same as Cardone Ultra, but the coating is black instead of silver.

And their non-Ultra calipers are even worse! Most dealer "OEM" caliper rebuilds are done by Cardone.

Cardone is rebuilding or trying/pretending to rebuild cores that should be scrapped.

They recently moved the caliper reman jobs to Mexico. They used to be rebuilt in Philadelphia. Dealers probably get the best cores, then the Ultra/Eclipse, then their lower lines. AFAIK, Powerstop calipers are still rebuilt in Chicago. They may be better than Cardon't.

GM seems to be the only car company that still offers totally-new OEM calipers in any kind of numbers.

For non-GM cars, the best choice seems to be Raybestos Element3 (Opti-Cal) all-new calipers. Then, the Powerstop remans. If None of those are available, Napa Eclipse.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
From my experience, the terms Cardone and Super Premium are mutually exclusive.

This.

As the number of retail chains decline the power to demand a low price increases. Vendors got to turn a profit. there is a limit to efficiency.

Tell your retailer about your quality expectations. It is the only way to change retailer behavior.

Rod

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
They recently moved the caliper reman jobs to Mexico. They used to be rebuilt in Philadelphia. Dealers probably get the best cores, then the Ultra/Eclipse, then their lower lines. AFAIK, Powerstop calipers are still rebuilt in Chicago. They may be better than Cardon't.

Critic,

Were those reman in Mexico?

Originally Posted by Silverado12
FWIW the rebuilt calipers from NAPA have always been good for me.

Those are Cardone as well.

Originally Posted by Trav
Critic are the new calipers from Raybestos available for that one, I bet they are the same or less than reman and very decent quality.

Unfortunately, they are not available for this application.

Cardone is rebuilding or trying/pretending to rebuild cores that should be scrapped.

Not sure about the Mexico part. But the caliper core is not the problem here; the problem is with their remanufacturing process. They're spending as little as possible and it seems like the goal is to produce a "working caliper," not one that is restored to like-new performance.

Originally Posted by benjamming

Critic,

I am not sure. I will have to take a closer look at the box later this week.

Thank you. Gives me something to compare a recent AZ duralast reman install. It was also coated, new everything, bracket included.

Originally Posted by benjamming

Critic,

I rechecked the box - I could not find any info on the country of origin.

Critic, sorry if I missed it, but did you use that torn caliper pin bushing as-is?

I'm sure it would be fine if you carefully shaved off the loose/torn bit, but that is still disturbing. The pin looks new, where the 'rubber' looks like Harbor Freight Tool special.

Originally Posted by JTK
Critic, sorry if I missed it, but did you use that torn caliper pin bushing as-is?

I'm sure it would be fine if you carefully shaved off the loose/torn bit, but that is still disturbing. The pin looks new, where the 'rubber' looks like Harbor Freight Tool special.

No, I reused the old pins, bracket and hardware.

The pin was probably new or re-plated. The pin with the torn bushing was "stuck" inside of the slide pin hole. The bushing was swollen, which is not uncommon with these if they are older or incompatible grease was used at any point. As I mentioned before, I strongly suspect that Cardone reconditions and reuses any rubber that is not torn.

Seems unreal that you have to pull them apart to inspect before you leave the store given how critical good rubber parts are on these.

I really hope someone from Cardone sees this thread, or that someone contacts Cardone, posts on some kind of social media about this
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back