BMW "Lifetime" ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Hammehead
VI replaces III in most cases. VI is thinner but It´s more shear resistant because of the better base oil (at least semi syn).

It is not semi syn. It is a blend of group III/IV/V base stocks thus it was marketed as a synthetic blend.

the cure for slushbox blues is a third pedal!!! no manual = no sale to me!!!!

Originally Posted by benjy
the cure for slushbox blues is a third pedal!!! no manual = no sale to me!!!!

18.gif

Its issue of doing tranny change on high miles car with no service records of it being done before. If someone came into my shop and said Fluid change on 100k car I would say no also. Anything over 60k I wouldnt touch. You took a risk touching this one, Hopefully it goes in your favor. If I was you in 20-30k miles Id change it again both fluid and filter. Then run it 60k from there.

Originally Posted by Shata
Its issue of doing tranny change on high miles car with no service records of it being done before. If someone came into my shop and said Fluid change on 100k car I would say no also. Anything over 60k I wouldnt touch. You took a risk touching this one, Hopefully it goes in your favor. If I was you in 20-30k miles Id change it again both fluid and filter. Then run it 60k from there.

Interesting; the A4S 310R in my E39 didn't receive an ATF drain and fill until 100k. It's still running fine in the hands of its third owner.

Dealerships are not managed by car people or enthusiasts, they're managed by sales people. Enough said. I've never talked to a person at a dealership that knew 10% what I know about cars, engines, mechanics, etc... and I'm no expert. I'm just a car enthusiast that works on my own vehicles... which means doing lots of research/educating.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Dealerships are not managed by car people or enthusiasts, they're managed by sales people. Enough said. I've never talked to a person at a dealership that knew 10% what I know about cars, engines, mechanics, etc... and I'm no expert. I'm just a car enthusiast that works on my own vehicles... which means doing lots of research/educating.

I'm very fortunate; my Service Advisor at the local BMW dealership is a fellow BMW CCA member- he even has an E36 M3 that he tracks. Several of the techs are also enthusiasts.

That's awesome. I can't say the same for ours. I'm sure some of the techs have their head screwed on right, but unfortunately they don't make the decisions.

Originally Posted by Shata

Change 100% of the fluid and install a new filter, run it for 100-200 miles dump it and do a 100% transfer of fluid again. No way would I leave the 100,000 oil in there, I would just pay the price of a dual flush. Cost of owning a new used car. And I would be doing myself anyway.

I would never let a ATF car get past 20,000 without dumping 100% of the fluid. Then add Redline D6 if speced on the Redline bottle. Get rid of the break-in junk that sediments the solenoids and valve body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back