Snapper now offers a 23" mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at mowers for my younger sister that lives in my old house.
Not much info on it yet. The only downsides I see is that it's an odd blade size which might limit you to buying OEM blades
and the blade speed is a little lower to meet the CPSC regulation.
No price yet.
Has a 190CC Briggs & Stratton professional series engine.

This finds it on the internet: 12ABQ2BH707

https://schraufnagel.com/showcase/2019-snapper-sp-series-sp90-12abq2bh707-27089764b

https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/pr...p-series-self-propelled-lawn-mowers.html

Snapper makes an excellent commercial grade 21" SP mower. It's the Ninja series mulching mower. It comes equipped with rear wheel drive and a bullet proof drive system. It also has a spin on oil filter. Of course, it costs quiet a bit more than their Walmart offerings. Whatever brand you choose, go with rear wheel drive. It's just plain better.

Snapper used to be great mowers. Now that they have done what they said they would never do sell them at Walmart quality has come way down but so has the price. Now they are no better or worse than any other box store mower

I'm guessing she will mulch. I'm not buying her a Snapper, just never heard of a 23" mower before.
She is in good shape and very tall, so I think she can get by without something self propelled.
Consumers Reports ranks the Cub Cadet SC100 H as the easiest to handle push mower. The Honda push model rates higher in cutting performance but CR says testers state it's harder to push.
That Cub Cadet has a Honda engine on it.

The SP Series Snappers are not REAL/GENUINE Snapper mowers, they are Snapper badged Murrays. B&S bought both Snapper and Murray out of bankruptcy, so they own both names. Murray mowers are built cheap to sell cheap, always have been. Real/Genuine Snappers sell for considerably more money than these Murray Snappers, and they don't sell them at Walmart.

I used to have a Snapper until I moved to a house with significant hills. That was over 20 years ago. I opted to buy a new Lawnboy Silver Pro Series at the time due to the lightweight nature of them. Yes, I know 2cycle Lawnboys are long gone and can be maintenance headaches.

My point is before you commit to the Snapper I would look to see if there are any other mowers out there that might be lighter in weight and easier for your sister handle. If the yard is flat then it may not be an issue, but if you have any hills at all, then a heavier mower is going to be harder to handle.

Just my two cent thoughts.

^ What wag123 said.

Even the commercial and hi vac series aren't quite what they used to be given the Briggs take over years ago.

I own a Snapper commercial ninja mulcher with a the 180cc Briggs engine w/ oil filter. Bought it new in 2011 for under $700 shipped. It's a good mower, but I wouldn't call it great. It is heavy and the steel deck and blade design makes it very loud.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

She is in good shape and very tall, so I think she can get by without something self propelled.

For the relatively minimal price difference I've seen various propelled and non-propelled mowers at times, I don't see much point in a non-propelled unless the yard is small and flat. And if it's small and flat, I'd even be considering corded electric mowers too if the price is right.

Craigslist high wheel 21-22" push mower with a briggs or honda. Cheap, light, and reliable. I've picked up quite a few of them for family/friends in need and they have all been cheap to run and easy to use for the last 5 years. Some of them are the result of people moving and just wanting to get rid of an almost brand new mower for $20-50.

Originally Posted by wag123
The SP Series Snappers are not REAL/GENUINE Snapper mowers, they are Snapper badged Murrays. B&S bought both Snapper and Murray out of bankruptcy, so they own both names. Murray mowers are built cheap to sell cheap, always have been. Real/Genuine Snappers sell for considerably more money than these Murray Snappers, and they don't sell them at Walmart.

I do believe you got part of Snapper's history incorrect.

B&S did not buy Snapper out of bankruptcy. In 2002, Simplicity Mowers bought Snapper. In 2004, B&S acquired Simplicity Mowers.

That is seen here:

Lawn and garden tractor manufacturer Simplicity Manufacturing Inc., Port Washington, has completed its purchase of McDonough, Ga.-based Snapper Inc. for an adjusted purchase price of $55.8 million, Snapper's parent company reported Wednesday (Nov. 27, 2002).

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2002/11/25/daily34.html

An even more important acquisition would take place in October (2002) when Simplicity agreed to a $73.3 million purchase (later adjusted to $55.8 million) of Georgia-based Snapper Inc., a lawn equipment manufacturer which Simplicity had been pursuing for several years. Snapper, founded in 1890 to make saws, was owned by Metromedia International Group Inc, which after a change in leadership elected to put the business up for sale. Simplicity finished second in the bidding, but when a deal with the high bidder failed to materialize, Simplicity was quick to step in and buy the Snapper assets.

Then, in June 2004, Simplicity announced that it would be acquired by Briggs & Stratton for some $225 million in cash. Expected to be completed in 2005, the deal would make Simplicity a part of its new parent's Power Products Group, though the company planned to maintain its current management team and manufacturing facilities. "We're pleased with the acquisition," said CEO Wier, the former Briggs & Stratton executive, adding, "We believe Briggs & Stratton has the financial resources and support to allow us to continue our current growth strategy."

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/simplicity-manufacturing-inc-history/

This is the article everyone alludes to in relation to WM and "Snapper", although it was Weir from Simplicity who was the CEO to tangled with WM over Snapper:

https://www.fastcompany.com/54763/man-who-said-no-wal-mart

Just want to make sure you've got the correct facts instead of rumors and incorrect info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
Of course, it costs quiet a bit more than their Walmart offerings.

"Snapper" mowers sold at Walmart are not actually made by Snapper. They are relabled MTD mowers.

Snapper mowers are rear drive, that same old ones they have been building for 40 years straight. And cost $500 and up. Snapper mowers was acquired by Briggs and Stratton since Snapper didn't pay their bill to them, so all of their mowers now come with Briggs and Stratton engines now.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
MParr said:
Snapper mowers was acquired by Briggs and Stratton since Snapper didn't pay their bill to them, so all of their mowers now come with Briggs and Stratton engines now.

Wrong. Read the history with links to facts I posted above instead of this drivel.

I have a real snapper that originally came with a Kawasaki engine.

That snapper is one awesome mower! Brought it up to PA for the rough, rural yard. As the Craftsman front drive was utterly unable to do the job.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Snapper used to be great mowers. Now that they have done what they said they would never do sell them at Walmart quality has come way down but so has the price. Now they are no better or worse than any other box store mower

So the $1,000.00 Snapper 21" Commercial line is junk? The walmart SP series is what you are referring to. Not the Hi-Vac nor the Commercial models. So slow down there with the uninformed commenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back