4EAT Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost 200k on this beauty and going to have a transmission "flush" done soon with differential fluid change. My wife has done it a couple of times since 40k. How badly do Subarus shear tranny and diff fluid? Is my 30k routine too much? Also, in 2-3 more years I think it'll be clutch packs and duty c replacement as well as fluid change. Getting some torque bind when parking at low speed when it's warmed up. Or the car will be sold. Knock on wood, but aside from the head gasket issue it's been a tank...

Have you done any drain/fills on it in the past?

You rarely hear of issues with the 4EAT.

My factory '09 Forester 4EAT fluid came out brown at 60K miles, but new Idemitsu fluid didn't noticeably change the trans shifting behavior. Just basic PM.

Originally Posted by JTK
Have you done any drain/fills on it in the past?

You rarely hear of issues with the 4EAT.

Bought used before I existed in her life with about 40k. Had quickie lube trans fluid & diff changes at about 90k and 120k. Blew a trans cooler line at about 150k so that resulted in an unexpected drain and fill and flatbed. Now nearing 185k doing another at a "real" mechanic. Hoping the rear diff change improves the torque bind some. It did last time. But it's getting to the point where I think new parts will soon be required...

Buy an OE filter, the aftermarkets can be sketchy for these and they end up sucking air. It is very easy to do a line off exchange on this unit.

What model and year Subaru? Some of them had a spin-on filter for the transmission as well. Up behind one of the headlights I believe.

As mentioned, the 4EAT is a solid trans; I've owned or maintained a half-dozen Subies over the years with zero issues. I've always treated them to fluid + spin-on filter changes every 30K or so, using Amsoil SS or Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. Among the most reliable automatics around, IMO.

Originally Posted by Trav
Buy an OE filter, the aftermarkets can be sketchy for these and they end up sucking air. It is very easy to do a line off exchange on this unit.

It has an aftermarket filter on it right now. Subaru dealer mentioned changing to Subaru filter. Place I'm taking it said they never have issues with the aftermarket filters they use. They take the Subaru equivalent fluids seriously and answer the questions I ask well, and they're cheaper than the dealer. If it didn't have nearly 200k I'd probably take to the dealer.

Originally Posted by Trav

A while ago, Subaru axed the external filter for the 4EAT - my friend's 2012 Forester had the areas that would be machined to accept the spin-on filter.

Except for the newest 5+ speed Toyota and Nissan units, it seems like most Japanese transmissions use a simple screen for filtration.

torque bind is more likely in the AWD drive clutch than the diff. you can test this by installing a fuse in the FWD-only port under the hood. If that makes the bind go away, it's the clutch unit. It's a common observation with these, and is in part due to an aggressive AWD bias to the rear, which in many ways is a good thing. The manuals used an entirely different architecture back then. Trans fluid won't change it either - I think it's a sealed unit within the trans.

Originally Posted by meep
torque bind is more likely in the AWD drive clutch than the diff. you can test this by installing a fuse in the FWD-only port under the hood. If that makes the bind go away, it's the clutch unit. It's a common observation with these, and is in part due to an aggressive AWD bias to the rear, which in many ways is a good thing. The manuals used an entirely different architecture back then. Trans fluid won't change it either - I think it's a sealed unit within the trans.

The last change the bind was better. It was also making a "clunk" when cold and shifting into 3rd and 4th. After the fluid change, bind is 50% better I'd say, and it hasn't clunked going into 3rd & 4th. They rinsed the internal screen/filter and put the new external on. So, for now (hopefully) issue improved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back