Huawei cell phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Huawei P20 phone and the following day Trump banned them in the US. Still haven't received the phone but I'm concerned that the cell phone providers will block Huawei IMEI numbers from their network.

Am I being paranoid?

Canada is studying whether to remove their equipment from our Telecommunications networks so that might be a good indicator that they have problems...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Canada is studying whether to remove their equipment from our Telecommunications networks so that might be a good indicator that they have problems...

To be clear, Canada is deciding on whether to ban Huawei from helping build next gen mobile 5G network.
Stevie - Please do link to where existing Huawei equipment will be banned.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/huawei-canada-china-fipa-1.5021033

Originally Posted by Danno
Originally Posted by StevieC

To be clear, Canada is deciding on whether to ban Huawei from helping build next gen mobile 5G network.
Stevie - Please do link to where existing Huawei equipment will be banned.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/huawei-canada-china-fipa-1.5021033

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/12/08/candian-telecoms-1-billion-cost-remove-huawei/
Removing Huawei equipment could cost Canadian telecoms $1 billion

I read this after I heard about it on Talk Radio in the car. When I say studying to remove their equipment I'm talking about from their plans to give them the 5G network business as previously planned.

Last edited:
I would assume "banned them in the US" means that future imports of the product are not allowed rather than forcing US owners to destroy their phones.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I bought a Huawei P20 phone and the following day Trump banned them in the US. Still haven't received the phone but I'm concerned that the cell phone providers will block Huawei IMEI numbers from their network.

Am I being paranoid?

Can you get out of the deal?

We were a tenant in a building along with several other high tech tenants.

Then Huawei moved in. Landlord did a big build out for them.

Then, just about every other tenant moved out when it was time to renew leases (including us). Drove by that building the other day, the parking lot was nearly empty in the middle of the morning. Looks like the landlord is having troubles in getting new tenants. Wonder why.

Am I being paranoid?

They don't care about the phone, and a lot of foreigners use Huawei so if you do that the carriers will lose the roaming profits, and definitely trigger trade issues and causes China to ban many US models (i.e. iPhone). The only way if I remember correctly that a carrier will ban a phone is interference, and Huawei's phone is not going to have that problem. I'd be more concern about MediaTek, Broadcom, test equipment development team in a van driving around town, military research plane, or other small fry modem companies instead. (I always lost most of my wifi and cell signals when a big plane from Moffet airfield fly by my house, I think they are probably testing some jamming or active stealth technologies).

They only want the infrastructure to be non Chinese because of "security" and keeping the sky high profit margin (Huawei is too cheap and will drive every other equipment company out of business).

P20 is a very good phone (probably the best camera in the industry).

Last edited:
Huawei is a leader in 5G and the concern about "security" is about keeping them out. My guess is that sadly we are going to fall behind the rest of the world further with policy like this.

Let's see how the phone will work when I get it at the end of this week

Huawei is so far ahead of the Europeans(Ericsson and Nokia) for 5G - they are the Chinese Cisco as well.

I think you won't have a problem getting your phone onto a network - AT&T and T-Mobile don't want to see the loss of tourist revenue and BYOD has been a blessing for them. And lots of MVNOs are on AT&T or T-Mobile's networks. Maybe Verizon will block Huawei IMEIs.

If you're really worried about Chinese malware, you can flash a 3rd party ROM built on the Android Open Source Project if one's available,

Am I being paranoid?

Alfred, dont take my post the wrong way, what I am about to say is simply to put any of your concerns to rest.
Most of all, forums are full of misinformation.
With that said ...

OH MY GOD, THIS STUFF DRIVES ME FREAKING NUTS!

HUAWEI PHONES ARE NOT BANNED IN THE USA BY TRUMP, NO CELL PHONES ARE BANNED BY TRUMP, NOT MOTOROLA, ZTE OR ANY OTHER CHINESE PHONE!!!
Trump did ban government agencies from purchasing ZTE and Huawei phones, whether or not he bans Motorola and other Chinese brands I dont know. Maybe Trump doesnt know Motorola is a Chinese company. :eek:) But the ban is only government agencies, we live in a free country Alfred!

AS FAR AS OTHER STUPID COMMENTS ON THE INTERNET, NO CELL PHONE CARRIER IS GOING TO BAN ANY PHONES FROM ITS NETWORK, AND NO CELL PHONE MAKER IS GOING TO BAN THE NUMBER 2 MAKER OF PHONES IN THE WORLD, SOON TO BECOME NUMBER 1 SELLING PHONES IN THE WORLD FROM ITS NETWORK. THAT COMPANY IS HUAWEI.
In fact ATT and Verizon wanted to sell their phones but Trump pressured them not too.

SO CHILL OUT, YOUR GOOD TO GO, HUAWEI ROSE FROM THE RANKS TO BECOME ONE OF THE BEST CELL PHONES IN THE WORLD, AT ANY PRICE. THEIR LOWER COST PHONES SUCH AS THE MATE SE BLOWS THE DOORS OFF PHONES COSTING TWICE TO THREE TIMES THE PRICE. Their low cost Honor and Elate Phone is amazing.
Best of all, they are UNLOCKED!!! You can use them anyplace. You own it, the cell phone company doesnt own you!

Once you have your Huawei phone you'll be thrilled that you decided to take the "back road" AS they produce awesome products AT great PRICES.
Last year they over took Apple as the second largest cell phone maker and expected by the end of 2019 to overtake Samsung, think about that, all without the US carriers selling their phones.

have a nice day :eek:)

Last edited:
They only want the infrastructure to be non Chinese because of "security" and keeping the sky high profit margin (Huawei is too cheap and will drive every other equipment company out of business).

and that is why 5g is a "thing", since the FCC is a corrupt money syndicate, this constant equipment upgrades to keep the prices high will not stop until the FCC regulates 5g. Just as the FCC forced T.V. stations to go digital, they can force these phone companies to support 5g for 20+ years.

There, no more new upgrades, need more coverage, add towers. 4g is plenty good enough. No more constant tower upgrades, prices will go down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

and that is why 5g is a "thing", since the FCC is a corrupt money syndicate, this constant equipment upgrades to keep the prices high will not stop until the FCC regulates 5g. Just as the FCC forced T.V. stations to go digital, they can force these phone companies to support 5g for 20+ years.

There, no more new upgrades, need more coverage, add towers. 4g is plenty good enough. No more constant tower upgrades, prices will go down.

Nobody will ever need more than 640k of RAM.

Quite an impressive phone. No wonder Trump is in war with Huawei.

I was watching one of the TWiT shows the other evening and they spent a while discussing recent revelations about Huawei and it's internal memo offering a bounty to employees for stolen (competitor) information. They also mentioned attemts by them to obtain confidential info about Apple technology from one of their (Apples) suppliers.

IMO, the blatant theft of intellectual proprty and disregard for legal patents by Chinese entities is something that needs to be stopped and Huawei is a good example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back