Ever Take a Hyundai to 300k miles?

Any of you BITOGER's ever take a Hyundai (or kia) to 300,000 miles? My 2010 Elantra Touring Wagon has over 122,000 miles, I bought it used from Carmax five years ago, it had approximately 76,000 miles on it at that time. Just had the timing belt changed two weeks ago, and I'm confident it'll get 200,000, but I'm feeling ambitious and think I can get 300,000.

If you've achieved this with your Hyundai I'd like to know, as well as any tips or advice you may have, things to avoid, typical problems at certain mileage numbers along the way, and so on.

I have the same car. The engine suffers from piston slap. I doubt it will make 200,000 miles but I hope I'm wrong. You use 20W50 in your Hyundai?

At current pace 9k/yr it will take you another 20yrs to get to 300k. The car will be 29yrs old. Do you really want to drive 29yrs old Hyundai? You don't like your life that much? o_O

I'm planning on keeping mine until the cats burn out. I currently have 142k on my Santa Fe. There's one guy that got his to 500k I'm I believe. Piston slap is not a concern in my opinion.

Originally Posted by parshisa
The car will be 29yrs old. Do you really want to drive 29yrs old Hyundai? You don't like your life that much? o_O

Hahaha! That's a good point - but we all do silly things for different reasons. I say..... GO FOR IT!!!

My 2008 F150 is nearing 200,000 miles and all I have ever changed was one alternator (I don't count brake parts).

I'll hit 400,000 miles in 4 more years
lol.gif
grin2.gif

(about 50,000 miles a year)

Clipped from an earlier story on High Mileage Club on Paul Silva's high mileage Sonata:

I am the proud owner of a 2004 Hyundai Sonata V6 with 506,000 miles and it has the original engine and transmission. Hyundai builds a quality automobile.

Pingback: Paul Silva's Sonata Enters Top 50 | The High Mile Club

GustoGuy
August 6, 2016 at 10:33 am
I have a 400 Thousand Mile Hyundai Elantra GT 2003 model. I have on the car since 2007 and I bought it when it only has 91000 I use Amsoil synthetic oil in automatic transmission fluid in it it still has the original engine and transmission and runs very well

R
May 9, 2017 at 12:02 am
I have a Hyundai Sonata 2005 with 124,969 miles. I would like to get a new car but I LOVE MY CAR. Would like to beat Hyundai mile record. Does anyone know the record? And Paul Silva has your car made 400,000 yet?????

Douglas Nix
June 30, 2017 at 1:56 am
A Hyundai dealership in St Louis had a 2011 Sonata 2.4 GDI on the showroom floor. It had 500K miles on it. This was in 2014. I didn't hear the car run but the salesman said it ran well and was the original engine. They placed in the showroom floor to show customers that hyu"Ah gentlemen, you know why we are Hyundai does make long lasting cars.

Originally Posted by parshisa
At current pace 9k/yr it will take you another 20yrs to get to 300k. The car will be 29yrs old. Do you really want to drive 29yrs old Hyundai? You don't like your life that much? o_O

Lol! My thoughts exactly!

Wife's 2013 (bought in 2012) Santa fe Turbo has 148k miles. Zero issues. Mostly Synthetic 5w30 (many brands) at 3-4k mile intervals. But occasional dino oil too. We used to use it for long trips but it now sees mostly a 10 mile commute in severe service driving to and from her job. No consumption yet.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Calling StevieC...

My Santa Fe went that far and then the camshaft let go. Was a great car to me. All original with the exception of the Alternator, Battery, tires, brakes and Oxygen sensors.

I'm a bit late because I have a bad cold at the moment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Sounds like a millennial problem to me. A good dope slap would fix him right up.
lol.gif

Gotta love the older generation... "I don't agree with this so I will just write it off as being a dumb millennial."

And just so we are clear, I'm not of that generation. I'm stuck between Boomers and millennial.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by csandste

Douglas Nix
June 30, 2017 at 1:56 am
A Hyundai dealership in St Louis had a 2011 Sonata 2.4 GDI on the showroom floor. It had 500K miles on it. This was in 2014. I didn't hear the car run but the salesman said it ran well and was the original engine. They placed in the showroom floor to show customers that hyu"Ah gentlemen, you know why we are Hyundai does make long lasting cars.

That is my dealership. I have seen it on the sales floor. I recently spoke to service advisor there who said they replaced 500 Theta II engines. They do not advertise that one.
smile.gif

Regarding going 300k it is done by some over at Hyundai-Forums.

Originally Posted by Trav
Sounds like a millennial problem to me. A good dope slap would fix him right up.
lol.gif

I'm very curious how you came up with millennial. I hope you will answer.

Back