Premixed Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by das_peikko
DEXCOOL at Wal-Mart
Premix $12.44
Concentrate $14.47

Concentrate makes more economical sense.

CORRECT.... why anone would spend $5/gallon of water is beyond me, unless it is an emergency.

Have we (society) really become THAT darned lazy?

Originally Posted by Linctex
DEXCOOL at Wal-Mart
Premix $12.44
Concentrate $14.47

CORRECT.... why anone would spend $5/gallon of water is beyond me, unless it is an emergency.

It's a pain to dilute that much and you end up with a lot of coolant. Most people would probably get it fixed before they needed 2 gals+ of coolant.

My rad leaks and a bottle of concentrate has lasted me the entire winter.

concentrate + a gal of distilled under a buck works for me, i keep an xtra antifreeze container on hand + mark 50% when mixed easy peazy + $$$ for refreshments leftover!!

I buy one gallon of concentrate and end up with 2 gallons after dilution. That's enough for 2 drain and fills on my radiator and associated piping. I space them out 1-2 weeks apart. The new coolant is then gone. The old stuff is brought to the recycling center.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
It's a pain to dilute that much and you end up with a lot of coolant. Most people would probably get it fixed before they needed 2 gals+ of coolant. My rad leaks and a bottle of concentrate has lasted me the entire winter.

Until one day your plastic end tank finally fails "for good" in a most catastrophic and spectacular fashion!! ( ~* POOOOM!!!*~)

With the money you could have saved just buying concentrate and mixing yourself, you could've bought THREE TACOS! That's a real concern, man!
grin2.gif

GM has always said DRINKABLE water which I assume means low in minerals or salts and acids is basically ok to mix and use for the life of coolant for anti corrosion

…..Concentrate makes more economical sense.
Without a doubt. Premix is a nice racket for the AF companies though. It's also the predominate type sold as Asian AF, hard to find as a concentrate.

'If possible', concentrate plus distilled is the way to go.

...... CORRECT.... why anone would spend $5/gallon of water is beyond me, unless it is an emergency. Have we (society) really become THAT darned lazy?

In a word yes. People are that foolish with money. Look at bottled water. It's been proven over and over most of this stuff is nothing but municipal city water that's been run through an RO system. Yet people have no trouble paying 5 times more for it than the city charges your account for a thousand gallons of the stuff. The average price of tap water in the United States is about $1.50 for 1,000 gallons. At that price, a gallon of water costs less than one penny. (I've seen cases of bottled water sell for the exact same price as a case of Coke or 7-Up).

I've even read articles published by the medical community, that state in many cases that in most major cities, you are better off drinking municipal water straight from the tap, than you are the demineralized water that comes out the nozzle of a RO system. Or a pitcher of that "Zero Water" they advertise so much. The fact is while, "Zero Water" is as clean as can be, isn't the best for your body. Yet when it comes to bottled water, people line up to buy it, lug it home, store it, then carry it around with them all day long.

What's kind of funny is a lot of these people are the same type who carry on about the environment, along with how we need to protect it. Yet in spite of all that caring, they produce more plastic waste with their water drinking habits than anyone. And they don't offset it with "recycling". Because around here in the Summer, you see them tossing empty water bottles in public trash cans left and right. And most of it ends up in the local landfill.

DEXCOOL at Wal-Mart
Premix $12.44
Concentrate $14.47

100% correct . Only time I buy ore-mix is when I get it by mistake .

Originally Posted by billt460
...... CORRECT.... why anone would spend $5/gallon of water is beyond me, unless it is an emergency. Have we (society) really become THAT darned lazy?

In a word yes. People are that foolish with money. Look at bottled water. It's been proven over and over most of this stuff is nothing but municipal city water that's been run through an RO system. Yet people have no trouble paying 5 times more for it than the city charges your account for a thousand gallons of the stuff. The average price of tap water in the United States is about $1.50 for 1,000 gallons. At that price, a gallon of water costs less than one penny. (I've seen cases of bottled water sell for the exact same price as a case of Coke or 7-Up).

I've even read articles published by the medical community, that state in many cases that in most major cities, you are better off drinking municipal water straight from the tap, than you are the demineralized water that comes out the nozzle of a RO system. Or a pitcher of that "Zero Water" they advertise so much. The fact is while, "Zero Water" is as clean as can be, isn't the best for your body. Yet when it comes to bottled water, people line up to buy it, lug it home, store it, then carry it around with them all day long.

What's kind of funny is a lot of these people are the same type who carry on about the environment, along with how we need to protect it. Yet in spite of all that caring, they produce more plastic waste with their water drinking habits than anyone. And they don't offset it with "recycling". Because around here in the Summer, you see them tossing empty water bottles in public trash cans left and right. And most of it ends up in the local landfill.

100% correct . Truth is the majority of people do not have the sense to walk and chew bubble gum , at the same time ! :-(

It sucks that here in Spain almost nobody sells Coolant concentrate, and when they do, it's usually more expansive than buying the 50/50 premix
crazy.gif

The only exception is one place where 50/50 is about 13.50 € for 5L, and 5L of Concentrate is about 25€, but even then the cost of buying a jug of Distilled Water, which is around 2-3€ negates the price difference, and the inconvenience of mixing coolant yourself.

Last edited:
The premix is more expensive, but there is nothing otherwise wrong with it. I don't hate the 50/50 stuff as much as most people here do.

DEXCOOL at Wal-Mart
Premix $12.44
Concentrate $14.47

It's actually $10/gallon for that water!

$7 or so for the half gallon of concentrate coolant plus $5 for a half gallon of water
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Sayjac
…..Concentrate makes more economical sense.
Without a doubt. Premix is a nice racket for the AF companies though. It's also the predominate type sold as Asian AF, hard to find as a concentrate.

'If possible', concentrate plus distilled is the way to go.

Pep Boys has Asian coolant concentrate for about $20 a gallon. Recochem OEM brand. And when it's on sale, it's even less. I've seen it as low as $14/gal for the same Recochem concentrate

Originally Posted by vssjim
GM has always said DRINKABLE water which I assume means low in minerals or salts and acids is basically ok to mix and use for the life of coolant for anti corrosion

GM also pushes Dexcool/Deathcool
smirk2.gif

Use distilled, deionized, or the 50/50 premix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back