New springs, struts, and shocks on wife's Passat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks:

This past December 28th I bought a new Passat SEL Premium 3.6L VR6 for my wife. For her job she drives it 500 to 1,000 miles per week.

It's a great car and we like it so far but its dampening was far too soft, especially on the front end. The front end wallowed up and down like it was '60s American car with a 800 pound cast iron V8 in it. Also too, the ride height was too high, resulting in excessive fender gap and a 4x4 look.

I didn't want to do anything too stiff or low because my wife would object. So, I bought a set of Bilstein H6s and a set of H&R OE Sport springs. The Bilsteins would fix the soft dampening and the springs would fix the ride height. The job went without a hitch.

The front hubs have to be pulled off the halfshafts, then re-attached with new TTY bolts torqued to 200Nm PLUS another 180 degrees! WOW, that's tight!!! I had to use a 4 foot breaker bar to achieve that torque. Eeeewww, I'm still a bit uneasy about torquing something so tightly. This is the first time in my life I've ever used a 4 foot long breaker bar on anything. I bought it just for this job based on VW Vortex internet forum talk. The job took about 6 hours in total, from first positioning the car in the garage to walking into the house to clean up.

Next up, a set of black 19" OZ Superturismo wheels. Car has 18" OEM wheels on it now.

Ride height is 0.9 inches lower in front, 0.6 inches lower in back, giving it an ever so slight front end rake. I think it looks good. The ride is perfect, firm but not harsh.

Windows had been tinted too since the first set of pictures.

FWIW,

Scott

Side OEM.jpg

Side H&R:Bilstein.jpg

LR OEM.jpg

LR H&R:Bilstein 2.jpg

IMG_1910-1.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

Looks really sharp. I would've said before it looked aftermarket, the aftermarket stuff (cheap stuff anyway) usually makes it ride higher. But now that looks proper.

Thanks all!

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
If the B8's were available, they would have been the better option, as the shaft is shorter for lowering springs.

I hear you! I have B8s on both my BMWs. The B8s were available for the Passat but I was strongly urged not to use them with these "OE Sport" springs. Given the only very minor lowering, it probably won't make any difference. Interestingly, the Bilstein website says the valving and damping is the same for the B6s and B8s and that the only difference is the B8s are shorter.

Scott

Originally Posted by SLO_Town

This past December 28th I bought a new Passat SEL Premium 3.6L VR6 for my wife. For her job she drives it 500 to 1,000 miles per week.
Next up, a set of black 19" OZ Superturismo wheels. Car has 18" OEM wheels on it now.

You sure your wife will like the bone-jarring ride on 19's?
Especially since she drives it so much.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

You sure your wife will like the bone-jarring ride on 19's?
Especially since she drives it so much.

It shouldn't be too bad because I was going to put Michelin MXM grand touring tires on it. The Tire Rack says they are quiet and smooth riding.

I have 19's on both BMWs and they are surprisingly supple, even with the Cup 2 tires on my E46 (and PS4s on the E90). And both BMWs have heavily modified suspensions. I think a stiff body structure helps reduce harshness. The Passat seems to have a pretty stiff chassis structure.

Scott

Considering it's her car, you might want to have her test a few similar cars with the setup your looking for.
What might seem ideal/acceptable to you, might not be the same for her (unless she's a performance driving enthusiast).
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Considering it's her car, you might want to have her test a few similar cars with the setup your looking for.
What might seem ideal/acceptable to you, might not be the same for her (unless she's a performance driving enthusiast).
coffee2.gif

We originally bought the E90 M-Sport for her, but within 3 or 4 months realized it was stupid to be racking up 4K miles per month on a nearly $50k car. So we bought a Ford Focus that she put 80k miles on it in 40 months.

Anyway, when we first bought the E90 I immediately made some suspension tweaks on it, plus I added the 19" BBS CHs. She likes the way that car rides and drives. In fact, she too complained the Passat was far too soft. One time she actually laughed at it when we were out driving it. She likes things hard and stiff. :)

Scott

Anyway, when we first bought the E90 I immediately made some suspension tweaks on it, plus I added the 19" BBS CHs. She likes the way that car rides and drives. In fact, she too complained the Passat was far too soft. One time she actually laughed at it when we were out driving it. She likes things hard and stiff. :)

Scott

shocked2.gif

In all seriousness, then by all means carry on
thumbsup2.gif

I'm sure she'll love these upgrades!

i am a VAG guy that said the passat is generally a cushy ride stock, sometimes sportier models give up some cush for better handling. i commend you on a great DIY as you saved $$$$$$, + of course you got a good alignment afterward. bigger + heavier wheels tax the suspension more as it needs to control the xtra weight, lower profile tyres firm the ride + handle better + are easier to damage, your choice for sure. i upgraded my 01 jetta suspenders as well as my 01 TT, did the easy rears + let a pro do the front + alignment afterwards. i did TTY bolts when timing belts got changed as engine mounts needed removal, a cheater bar works for sure unless your a gorilla.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Forgot to ask, did you put new Strut Mounts and Bearings as well as new rear shock mounts?

Normally I would, but not this time. The car was virtually brand new. It only had 5,500 miles on it.

Scott

You may want to consider a H&R rear anti-sway bar. I added Bilsteins and a rear bar to my '14 Passat SEL TDI and love the way it handles. I run ~35k miles/year, 41 mpg post fix.

When it comes time for brakes I recommend EBC slotted and red stuff. Good luck, John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back