Are there any ACEA A5/B5 5w40 oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A1/B1 is no longer in the latest ACEA specifications. So yes, it's an older spec. Now, technically, within grade, A5/B5 already meets A1/B1 and is more stringent. Also, there may be oils on the shelf that would meet A5/B5, but just don't test for it or consider it worth the time. You might have to check with Castrol and see what's going on with the A1/B1 you're finding; basically, are these old labels or old bottles? Finding A5/B5 these days isn't that hard.

Originally Posted by ThumperRidgeline
Originally Posted by wemay
ACEA A3/B4 is a 40 for all intents and purposes with an HT/HS of >3.5.

ACEA A5/B5 is a usually a 30 with HT/HS up to
https://www.acea.be/uploads/news_documents/ACEA_European_oil_sequences_2016.pdf

I have an 18 Santa Fe with 2.0T...My last oil change I was able to find 5 qt. jug 5w30 Castrol Edge GDI Turbo Formula ACEA A5/B5. My Hyiundai dealer doesn't carry it and was totally unaware of the requirement to ONLY USE A5 rated oil. Their bulk oil is 5w20 and Hyundai Corp says they don't control what dealer carries???? Its time for oil change #2 and all the Castrol Edge jugs I find now are rated ACEA A1//B1 and also says GDTurboI FormulaI even though owners manual says nothing about A1/B1 being acceptable..is A1/B1 an older Spec? can it be used in place of A5/B5? Penzoil Platinum is A5/B5 but not a Penzoil fan..Buying the correct oil should not be this hard and its crazy the dealer doesn't carry what Hyundai requires.....Thank You

I use Mobil1 5W30 EP in SIenna, also A5/B5 oil.

Originally Posted by wemay
ACEA A3/B4 is a 40 for all intents and purposes with an HT/HS of >3.5.

ACEA A5/B5 is a usually a 30 with HT/HS up to
https://www.acea.be/uploads/news_documents/ACEA_European_oil_sequences_2016.pdf

I have an 18 Santa Fe with 2.0T...My last oil change I was able to find 5 qt. jug 5w30 Castrol Edge GDI Turbo Formula ACEA A5/B5. My Hyiundai dealer doesn't carry it and was totally unaware of the requirement to ONLY USE A5 rated oil. Their bulk oil is 5w20 and Hyundai Corp says they don't control what dealer carries???? Its time for oil change #2 and all the Castrol Edge jugs I find now are rated ACEA A1//B1 and also says GDTurboI FormulaI even though owners manual says nothing about A1/B1 being acceptable..is A1/B1 an older Spec? can it be used in place of A5/B5? Penzoil Platinum is A5/B5 but not a Penzoil fan..Buying the correct oil should not be this hard and its crazy the dealer doesn't carry what Hyundai requires.....Thank You

Just move 2 feet down the aisle and grab a jug of M1 or PP 5W-30. Both of those are A5/B5. Castrol no longer meets it (who knows if it ever did).

I'm not a fan of the dentist but I still go.

Thank You..Went to Wal Mart, they had A5/B5 Castrol Edge. I've spoken to Hyundai Corporate and they don't mandate what type of oil the dealers carry. What makes no sense is owners manual specifically says A5, minimum 5w30 but the dealer uses is SM/SN 5W20 Synthetic blend. There is a TSB out mandating 5w30 minimum for turbos. Dealer told me to bring my own oil if I want the correct oil?? Parts guy tried to sell me 0w20 Mitsubishi oil and said he had never seen A5 spec oil?? Is it true A5 oil is only Synthetic?

Thank You

A5/B5 doesn't have to be a synthetic, but in North America, that's generally what you're going to find. Honestly, if a dealer cannot be bothered with stocking the correct oil, I wouldn't be trusting the dealer to do an oil change. Then again, I don't trust the dealer to do an oil change in any event.

In fairness, that dealer has done well with ordinary API oil for years, so he is facing a changing landscape. On the other hand, it's not all that difficult. He's not suddenly got a Mercedes Benz sheet thrust in his hand. Most of the top 5w-30 synthetics are A5/B5 already, so it's not that difficult for the dealer, really. Buy 5w-30 synthetic that most of us have heard of and it'll meet specification. Claiming he's never seen an A5 oil doesn't help his case. It makes him look more foolish. He's never opened up an owner's manual or looked at an oil specification? They get wadded up if you don't use an OEM filter but they don't understand viscosity and ACEA A5 or read TSBs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back