Amsoil 5w20 ALM (Old) 2017 Caravan 10K KM Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is certainly not a great report but this is why I do them....
We are going to change his oil more frequently given the short tripping and experiment with what oil is best given the conditions.

1) Engine is still fairly new and didn't see too many oil changes. This is only it's 3rd change
(which is why copper and iron are still higher than they should be. These engines take a while to wash this out)
2) Mainly old formulation Amsoil in use with some new formulation in there. That's why the numbers look weird in regards to ad-pack.
3) Vehicle does mainly 6 mile (10km) trips so the oil never really gets a chance to heat up as confirmed by fuel dilution numbers and water concentration.
4) Oil was run 8 months in this sample for 6K miles (10K KM) with this short tripping.
5) Fuel in use is Petro Canada E-10, 87 Octane which I know isn't the greatest although it is top-tier. This is contributing to the nitration and water in the oil along with the short tripping.
6) Air filter is original from the factory. He's changing it today
7) Wix standard oil filter (not XP) was the filter used
8) No top-up/make up oil
9) OLM hadn't gone off in this time period so Chrysler thinks the oil would still have been fine during these conditions as well.
10) The Acid number is excellent given the conditons and lots of TBN remaining.

Terry thinks the oil handled the conditions quite well given the extreme environment and duration the oil was run. He isn't panicking about the metal numbers given the young age of the engine, short tripping that went on and is fine with it being run the full year and longer OCI than this although we should work on tuning the reports because it's not the best they can be.

So while this might get folks worked up, I'm not loosing sleep about it. We have no intent to dump the oil tomorrow. We will run it to a shorter interval and experiment with different oils to find what is the best given the short tripping situation. Next to try is XL series and then M1 as it's about balancing performance with cost.

cheers3.gif

Miles Report.png

Last edited:
The only thing that looks really out of line is Copper. I'm assuming this has a copper trans oil cooler line?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustN89
The only thing that looks really out of line is Copper. I'm assuming this has a copper trans cooler line?

Yeah Engine Oil to Coolant heat exchanger on the filter housing assembly. Copper usually runs high for a while.

They shed a lot of copper for a while. I would not hesitate to run 0W30 or 5W30 in it.

Originally Posted by harry j
Do you a magnetic oil drain plug or a Filtermag?

Can't run a filer mag on this vehicle because it's a plastic housing for the filter cartridge. It has has a fumoto valve on it.

I'm not worried at all with these numbers given how young the engine is and that it's short tripped mostly. I will continue to monitor with Wix $10 kits for trending and trying other OCI's and oils.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
They shed a lot of copper for a while. I would not hesitate to run 0W30 or 5W30 in it.

I'm going to setup him up to a 30wt to see if that has an effect on it. I was using up the 5w20 calcium formulation I had left in the basement.

The oil looks good except for the fuel dilution. Any chance of getting it on the highway for 20 minutes per week? That might clear it up...

Originally Posted by JLTD
The oil looks good except for the fuel dilution. Any chance of getting it on the highway for 20 minutes per week? That might clear it up...

The do some occasional runs on the highway with it for an hour or more but the fuel persists. I think it's just too much short tripping.

That fuel dilution obviates the need for topping off between changes. j/k

I don't see any alarming info here; my opinion is that there's still break-in going on after only a few OCIs on a newer vehicle.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
I don't see any alarming info here; my opinion is that there's still break-in going on after only a few OCIs on a newer vehicle.

Yeah I will continue to monitor it but will keep him at a conservative OCI for now until the numbers recede. Particularly the fuel numbers. I was there yesterday for Family Day dinner (holiday yesterday for us) and I scanned the vehicle and the LT/FT are -2 on both banks and ST/FT fluctuates between +2 / -2 with an average of 0 so the system is operating properly at a quick glance. It's definitely the short tripping and fuel quality.

My van for comparison operates at about -4 on both banks but I'm using 91 octane ethanol free and he's using 87 octane with 10% ethanol. Same brand of fuel for both.
My timing is also 2-4 degrees advanced depending on the conditions over his as monitored by my scan gauge. So the knock sensors are keeping his timing back further than mine because of the octane difference.

I should have my UOA back in a few weeks and I'm mainly highway so that should be a good contrast to see the difference short-tripping can make along with better fuel quality.
I'm sending it in at 10,000km (6K mile OCI) as well. (sample), I have almost the same amount of mileage on my 2018 van as his 2017 van.
He bought his van at the beginning of 2017 and I got my van this past October. Hahahahahaha
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back