Red Line 0w-30 VOA

Submitted a VOA of Red Line 0w-30 using NAPA's kit, which seems to use ALS Labs for the actual analysis. The report say 10w-30 but was indeed 0w-30 purchased in Jan 2018.

Adding link to the UOA of the same oil:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-line-0w-30-9-478-miles-2008-lexus-gx470

Red Line 0w-30 VOA.PNG

Last edited:
RL's certainly consistent as they've barely changed anything over the years. This is clearly not the SN street oil. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
I wonder how this oil would work with cars that have LSPI issues.

This is really being over complicated. All that's been found are oils with high calcium levels have been correlated with LSPI. All oil manufacturers have done to address it is lower calcium. NO high calcium oil is going to be a good choice IF LSPI is an issue in your particular make (which it shouldn't be. Stop trying to make 2.0Ls feel like 5.0L V8s with these tiny hot running turbos and high low rpm loads. That's turbo 101 in the aftermarket turbo upgrade world for longevity). I've had two german DI turbo cars and this was never an issue on either despite the factory undersized turbos and overloaded low rpm range.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Interesting. The silicon which is a anti-foaming agent seems quite high.

And this been my observation as well. Unless they are using some silicon-based compound other than, or in addition to, dimethylsiloxane, this seems excessively high.

This is definitely not a daily driver oil. Use it on track day only.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by PimTac
Interesting. The silicon which is a anti-foaming agent seems quite high.

And this been my observation as well. Unless they are using some silicon-based compound other than, or in addition to, dimethylsiloxane, this seems excessively high.

This is definitely not a daily driver oil. Use it on track day only.

That silicon value is consistent with their other "High Performance" oils. Redline sells a separate line for track day Race oils.

Originally Posted by Garak
ZDDP and moly help with LSPI. Now, does Red Line's dosing counteract sufficiently for this?

It would be cool if they started up a line of lower calcium/higher magnesium 'LSPI preventative' oils, while keeping their other additives at current levels.
cool.gif

But they obviously do not want to compete with the majors for modern engine oils (nor even the higher volume 'boutiques' for that matter).
frown.gif

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
That silicon value is consistent with their other "High Performance" oils. Redline sells a separate line for track day Race oils.

Trust your opinion against Mola's real-world experience at your own peril. I know which one I'd trust.

Much as I respect Mola's advice and insight here, we have seen many 10k+ UOA's with Redline oils in DD applications that did really well.

Yes, it's complete overkill for almost all vehicles, but Redline can be used as an everyday oil without worry. Lots of detergent for keeping engines clean.

And yet we never see members posting of their engines that went 200k, 300k, or longer exclusively on Redline oils (like StevieC does on Amsoil, or others do on other supposedly "inferior" brands). I'm not sure if that means anything negative about Redline, or that the Redline users simply don't keep vehicles long enough to reap any of the supposed "benefits" that a Group V oil provides over other oil Groups.

Meanwhile, Sally Jean uses a house brand oil from an unknown supplier with only an API cert, the cheapest e-core MIC filter, routinely travels 10k+ with 90% city driving on a synblend (at best) oil even though her manual states 7.5k OCIs normal service, does zero UOAs, and somehow this vehicle still survives 200k+ miles, or until it rusts away or is involved in a vehicular collision. Heck, she may even skip the timing belt replacement at 100k since she never floors the accelerator to save a little bit more money! Which is the better oil? They both delivered the benefits the customer expected... just one costs 2-3x more.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Meanwhile, Sally Jean uses a house brand oil from an unknown supplier with only an API cert, the cheapest e-core MIC filter, routinely travels 10k+ with 90% city driving on a synblend (at best) oil even though her manual states 7.5k OCIs normal service, does zero UOAs, and somehow this vehicle still survives 200k+ miles, or until it rusts away or is involved in a vehicular collision. Heck, she may even skip the timing belt replacement at 100k since she never floors the accelerator to save a little bit more money! Which is the better oil? They both delivered the benefits the customer expected... just one costs 2-3x more.

FULLY agree, IF one drives like this mythical "Sally Jean".
wink.gif

Back