finding chains for snowblower wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an older MTD made Montgomery Wards snowthrower. Has the hard rubber tires, marked 3.50 x 6. Lost a chain, "the boss" says to find another.

The chains I'm looking at have a third dimension... eg 15x3.50x6. Huh? Is 15 the diameter to the outside edge?

How do I size chains for these things?

Can't specifically answer your question but I bought tire chains from "TireChain.com" for my Troy-Bilt snow blower. Maybe they can help you. Their phone # is 814-248-3375.

Whimsey

I think 15 is the length of the cross chains, i.e. the distance from one side chain to the other around the surface of the tire.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
I think 15 is the length of the cross chains, i.e. the distance from one side chain to the other around the surface of the tire.

Interesting!
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
Have an older MTD made Montgomery Wards snowthrower. Has the hard rubber tires, marked 3.50 x 6. Lost a chain, "the boss" says to find another.

The chains I'm looking at have a third dimension... eg 15x3.50x6. Huh? Is 15 the diameter to the outside edge?

How do I size chains for these things?

I had one, bought for $75 used for a year or two and sold for $75. No safety levers. You put it in gear and it goes. You could go have a beer if it would steer straight. I have a set of new chains for for the Montgomery Ward. Let me look..

OK, mine say for 4.10x3.50x6; 12:25x3.50. New Peerless chains in a box. Sale today for BITOG members.

Maxtrac Snow Blower/Garden Tractor Tire Chains, 2 Link Spacing (Pair) - 1060856Maxtrac Snow Blower & Garden Tractor Tire Chains with 2 Link Spacing provide optimal traction garden tractors and snow blowers. Chains are zinc plated for durability. Sold per pair of chains.For use with tire sizes: 11x4x4, 12.25x3.50, 12x3.25, 12x4x6, 4.1x3.50x6, 4.1x3.50x8.

Specification:

MANUFACTURERS PART NUMBER: 1060856
CONSTRUCTION: Steel
STYLE: Maxtrac
FOR USE WITH: Garden Tractor/Snow Blower
TYPE: Snow Removal
Link Spacing: 2 Link
BRAND: Peerless Chain

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back