Light Weight 5x112 Summer Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dareo
The konig and traklite are rotary forged or flow formed so they are stronger than plain cast. My golf is only 3000 pounds and if i wreck a wheel the low 160 ish cost is okay to replace one. The weight makes a huge difference on this car with its wide manual ratios and turbo dependant powerband.

The Traklites are plain cast
smirk2.gif

The BBS wheels are low-pressure cast. They are MUCH better than any Chinese Konig and actually cost less than the Konigs you are considering
smile.gif

If you're willing to spend the money, they have the flow-formed OZ Leggera HLT for $317 each, weighing in at 18 lb each. For something a little less expensive, the 20-lb low-pressure cast OZ Omnia is $208 apiece. Both are made in Italy.

Motegi MR131 Traklites are "Flow Formed" (rotary forged). This is where the face of the wheel is cast but the barrel is heated/spun/drawn out. Many companies offer wheels made using a similar process. Many Motegi wheels are plain cast and some are fully forged, like the ones used on Ferrari. BBS rotary forges many of their wheels as well. The Konig is $166 vs $143 for Traklite. Nearly all wheels are made overseas. Even the OE 20" wheels on my GMC SLT that were a factory upgrade are made in china.

Motegi MR131 Traklites are "Flow Formed" (rotary forged). This is where the face of the wheel is cast but the barrel is heated/spun/drawn out. Many companies offer wheels made using a similar process. Many Motegi wheels are plain cast and some are fully forged, like the ones used on Ferrari. BBS rotary forges many of their wheels as well. The Konig is $166 vs $143 for Traklite. Nearly all wheels are made overseas. Even the OE 20" wheels on my GMC SLT that were a factory upgrade are made in china.

Check again. Traklite page

Originally Posted by Tire Rack

Size:
17x7

Offset:
45mm

Backspacing:
5.79"

Bolt Pattern:
5-112

Rec. Tire Size:
225/45-17
Weight:

16.3 lbs.

Finish:
Silver Painted

Construction:
1pc. Gravity Cast

Finish Warranty:
1 Year

Manufacturer Part #:
MR13177056445

Manufactured in:
China

Features

Center cap shown included at no charge.

I'm leaning Konig due to closer centerbore, higher load rating, and slight look preference. DT said probably no Pres Day sale. I hope that's not true.

I'm leaning Konig due to closer centerbore, higher load rating, and slight look preference. DT said probably no Pres Day sale. I hope that's not true.

DT/DTD sales aren't as good as they used to be since their founder, Bruce Halle, died about a year ago. Skipping the President's Day Sale wouldn't be a surprise at this point
mad.gif

Found two more options. NEUSPEED RSe05 actually has the perfect center bore, uses ball seat lugs, is only 17lb, pretty much perfect. Except for the cost, its like $270 a wheel and i can't get them sold with tires mounted. So it ends up being fairly expensive.

Or, i could go Canadian and get the 16lb FAST WHEELS FC04 that is also perfect on the bore, ball seat, ect. The risk here is i have to order from Canada, hope nothing goes wrong, still have to buy/mount balance tires locally. I think i can get 5 of these delivered for about 800 US, that way i have a spare in case one is damaged.

Look what you made me do Discount Tire for not having a Pres Day sale. Literally looking internationally for wheels now.

Went into DT today and in my region the sale happens this weekend instead of on presidents day. So i ordered the Konig Ultraforms and 235 45 17 Gmax RS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back