GY Assurance made in Chile now, err

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, short story here. Im home from work last friday loading up the dirtbiles for the son and I for riding Saturday morning. I find in the corner of the garage two tires with a tarp on top covering them up (hiding from me). I remove make shift tarp cover and notice its two off the wifes car. Right away by blood pressure rises, sweat begins beading on my forehead and grab my phone for the story. " was going to tell you this weekend honey", what ever... Holding my anger to the side, she had two flats in which were not repairable, according to tire kingdom. Well let me tell you, I worked at tire kingdom years ago and plugged many a tire and these were repairable, no questions asked. But, they sold her two brand new tires anyway, same type tire as what was on it. Only problem is the original tire was made in the USA, which I would be OK with. The two new ones are made in Chile and you can tell the treat and sidewall are just a bit different. All the specs are the same, mileage and letter ratings etc.. Im not comfortable with this and would prefer to have 4 brand new tires of what "I want" on it, not what I call a miss match. I really want to go back and use their 30 day satisfaction guarantee and purchase 4 new tires, a set that I choose, have it aligned and basically start fresh. That would leave me with two spares off the car for when she runs over more nails. Just wondering your thoughts, Im OCD on my vehicles, period, I want things my way, period. What should I do, hassle with the return and buy a set? Which I would be ok with, or deal with it?

A lot of GYs more expensive tires come from Chile. Meanwhile the cheap Walmart branded GYs come from USA, go figure. I bought some GY Assurance Comfortreds for the CRV last year and they where made in Chile. No one could balance them, they where out of round. Pretty disappointing for such expensive tires. The CRV drove down the road vibrating so bad it was nauseous.

I would just buy a different brand and keep the old ones as spares.

Better brands: Hankook, Yokohama, Continental, Cooper, BFG.

Stay away from: Anything Chinese, most Goodyears, Firestone/Bridgestone.

There's more than one "Assurance" model of tire, which would explain the difference in the tread and sidewall.

Other than that... go have a cold one and don't worry about those tires. You're acting like they were made in China, instead of Chile. You're wasting worry on that one.

What's wrong with Chile?

Maybe because they're in the Southern Hemisphere, you think the tires are made upside down?

If you can knit a sweater in the US and then fly to Chile, chances are you can still knit the same sweater just as well.

Originally Posted by Miller88
I'd call it a day and replace all 4 when they wear out a few years from now.

Thats kinda what I was thinking about doing, these days I just dont have the time and patients to deal with people. I fear they would not allow the satisfaction guarantee without putting me through the wringer. I would cause a big scene and it would turn in to an episode of cops or something. I already put the brand new tires up front, what is on the rear is still over half tread remaining. Think I will give the set another 18 months and look for summer sales that include alignment, rebates and install for a reasonable price. However, this may turn into a good comparison. USA vs Chile of the same brand and model.

Goodyear is a global company, that makes tires all over the world, as does Michelin and all the other major brands. They have been doing the for decades. I would not worry about the source of the tire from these major brands.

I would worry more about GM selling Chinese cars and SUVs!

Last edited:
I'd go back to the store, talk to the manager, tell him your wife got scammed i to buying new when the others were repairable. Tell him you want the 2 tires repaired, mounted, balanced, and the car aligned at no charge, and to refund the purchase of the new tires.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I'm not sure I'd be upset. Chile is not China.

How many satellites does Chile have in orbit today???

Originally Posted by CT8
Do we get as upset when we buy food grown in other nations?

Nope, I love good produce from all over the world, thats for sure. Its not really about country or origin or buy 'murican", Its about feeling confident my family is safe in a car with 4 matching tires, thats all.

Sitting here at work all day on tirerack looking at tires, posting on BITOG tire section, thinking about all those trailer tire blowouts I have had over the years.

Originally Posted by JLTD
I'd go back to the store, talk to the manager, tell him your wife got scammed i to buying new when the others were repairable. Tell him you want the 2 tires repaired, mounted, balanced, and the car aligned at no charge, and to refund the purchase of the new tires.

That is what I would love to do. Then, take it to another tire store and buy 4 new tires, return the 4 old ones to the original tire kingdom and ask how much to dispose of 4 used tires, in which two have just been repaired.

My GY Assurance Tripletreds on my MGM were made in Chile, as was my brother's set on his Altima that went OVER 80K and were not worn out, with zero issues other than weird wear from failure to rotate & alignment issues. I wouldn't worry about them, I'm sure GY knows anough to run a Chilean factory, it's not like they're Chinese no-name junk tires!

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
A lot of GYs more expensive tires come from Chile. Meanwhile the cheap Walmart branded GYs come from USA, go figure. I bought some GY Assurance Comfortreds for the CRV last year and they where made in Chile. No one could balance them, they where out of round. Pretty disappointing for such expensive tires. The CRV drove down the road vibrating so bad it was nauseous.

I would just buy a different brand and keep the old ones as spares.

Better brands: Hankook, Yokohama, Continental, Cooper, BFG.

Stay away from: Anything Chinese, most Goodyears, Firestone/Bridgestone.
I have to call Bovine Scatology on the Bridgestone/Firestone diss-the BEST truck tires I've had have been Transforce A/Ts & HTs, and the Bridgestone Dueler Revos are so far above any other LT tire I've used, it's an unfair comparison. And, I've run close to a million miles on 10 ply tires on company vans! Granted, the Firestone Steeltex ones & some of the passenger ones could be better, but they can make good ones too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back