Oil for 2019 Duramax 2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just picked up a new Chevy Colorado ZR2 with a Duramax 2.8l turbo. Very sweet little truck.
I've always run Rotella T6 5w40 in all my cars/trucks. BUT this is calling for some proprietary "dexos2" oil. From what I can see, it's a new specification made right around the time this engine came to the USA. Is this just some marketing wank, and I can keep using my stockpile of T6, or am I stuck buying their licensed oil for 3 times as much?

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Here's the list: https://www.gmdexos.com/owner/brands/dexos2/index.html

You can get Rotellas brother, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-30 at Walmart for $22.XX with a $10 rebate...

That seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. It's actually cheaper than the T6 I've been using. Hm, might have to switch the fleet.
Thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by Zee09
What kind of mpg's do you get. How is the power?
Congrats!

I'm SUPER happy with the truck. Definitely not the fastest truck I've ever driven, but it'll get out of anyone's way easily. Plus tow whatever I need it to.
Less than 500 miles on it now, but I'm getting 22-23 mpg on average so far, and it's not even broken in, plus I'm stuck running on winter blended fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Zee09
Keep us updated if you would. I've heard of some crazy mpg numbers out of these.

I know guys on the Colorado Fans forum have posted some in excess of 35.... I won't get that. lol
I picked up the off-road version of the truck. Aerodynamics isn't this thing's focus at all. My parents live in farm country, and I like ice fishing.... Well the little hatchback I used to have didn't even make it on a lake once. It got embarrassing asking friends for a ride.
[Linked Image]

My average has been 23 us mpg
Best 300 miles per the computer 28.7
Best 65 miles 36.2
Best 15 miles 58.8

Currently running penrite 5w40

20190219_075930.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shannow
My average has been 23 us mpg

23.9...phone spell check got me again.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
If it is automatic, it is not even worth it

His money -- his choice. . .

For me -- if it doesn't average over 45 mpg (on a bad day), it's not even worth it.
laugh.gif
I doubt my preferences will get much traction (sorry...) with the 4WD/AWD crowd. And that's perfectly OK.

I'm happy for him that he's happy with his new ride!
cool.gif

Oh yeah (duh), as for the oil, for now, use whatever grade and specs that are called for in the manual. Also be careful of the usage categories, and which one applies to you (normal, severe, oil-geek owner, etc.). No sense in inviting trouble playing "test pilot" while the warranty is in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back