How far is your commute to work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I worked (43 yrs), I traveled between 10-15 miles each way and 4 different jobs.
The last 38 yrs was with two large corporations and before that I was just puddle jumpin'.

Last edited:
15min or 7 miles one way;

however, I go back to my home on lunch time almost every day
so I still do 7mile x4 tipically

3.75 miles from parking lot to parking lot. From door to door takes 10 minutes or so. The only safe alternative to driving would be a motorcycle. Walking, scooter/moped and bicycle are for those who don't care about their lives.

Originally Posted by jhellwig
Out of the garage door to my company truck.

My brother works maintenance for a grocery chain, has a company van and has to give the average drive time from his house to the closest store he is assigned to.
It is 20 minutes away. So if he has to start the day at a store 15 minutes further away than his domicile store, he is on the clock for 15 minutes while driving.

I'm 7 miles from work.

My normal commute is a 15 minute drive to the airport, then usually 20-30 hours of travel. Do that a few times a year.

When I help the guys out at home, it's 57 miles one way, and they pay me mileage.

Originally Posted by jhellwig
Out of the garage door to my company truck.

Lol me too. But once I'm in my work van it could be 50 to 300 miles any given day. I average about 1200 to 1500 miles a week.

Man, I'm jealous of all these short commutes. I believe I am approx 63 miles from my job. My train ride is an hour and ten minutes. In nice weather I use a Dahon folding bicycle and ride it from my house six minutes to the railroad station and then once in NYC, I ride it from Penn Station on 33rd st to W 58th St to my job. When it's cold or raining I drive to the train and use the NYC Subway. I hate the subway.

Before I took this job, I worked with my brother and father repairing diesel generators. The shop was a five minute drive from my house, then I spent all day in a van driving from job to job but I was on the clock so...

I'm about 10 miles from work and it takes me about 15-20 minutes (depends on how many of the 20 or so stoplights are red) Coming home usually takes a few minutes longer.

For about 7 years I worked in downtown Toronto and had a 50 mile round trip and it would take close to an hour each way. Cost me a fortune in gas, as I was using my old 98 Corvette as my daily driver at that time.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
Man, I'm jealous of all these short commutes. I believe I am approx 63 miles from my job. My train ride is an hour and ten minutes. In nice weather I use a Dahon folding bicycle and ride it from my house six minutes to the railroad station and then once in NYC, I ride it from Penn Station on 33rd st to W 58th St to my job. When it's cold or raining I drive to the train and use the NYC Subway. I hate the subway.

Before I took this job, I worked with my brother and father repairing diesel generators. The shop was a five minute drive from my house, then I spent all day in a van driving from job to job but I was on the clock so...

I don't do cities. Can't stand the crowds and noise. Our weekend trips usually consist of lunch in some ghost town.

345 miles.

Each way.

6 hours if I drive.

3 1/2 if I fly and EWR is running smoothly.

Last edited:
6 minutes on a regular day, 8 on a bad one. Some weekends if I hurry, less than 5.
3 miles from work. 4 stop signs, 4 stop lights (2 are right hand turns, 1 left hand, 1 straight).
On my motorcycle, I can do it with 3 shifts if I hit the lights right (start in 2nd, shift into 3rd once, then back into 2nd).

I have had a few jobs that were 50 miles each way, don't want to do that again. That was an hour each way that I was away from home, but not being paid.

22-25 miles depending on which way I go. 40-60 minutes more depending on season than anything. May-Nov there's so much more traffic.

Commute has a little bit of everything. Traffic backups the first half and normal cruising speeds of 80-85 the second half. Engine and brakes always get a workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back