Mobil1 racing 4t 10w40 vs Amsoil 4t 10w40 on r1200gs lc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i've used Elf 4t 10w50 for r1200gsa lc, knowing the recommending spec is 5w40. I have notice the engine temperature was reduce from 86C for constant speed 120-130kmh to 83-84C, but the oil consumption is increased full tank range i can now do only 489-504 km. from the period that i used 5w40 i can do 524 km +.

This time i want to try the new one may be keep Viscosity to 40 please recommend between
Mobil1 racing 4t 10w40 vs Amsoil 4t 10w40
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I asked Mobil1 technician he told me is made from Egypt and somewhat has Group 3 +4 +5 base oil
amsoil is made in USA and has only Group3 base (That what they told me)

Question is which one has more PAO base or even ester addictive?
Which one is better for hot humid weather 35-40C ?
Which one can use for longer mileage ?

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Nice bike. I think you can go with the one that favors your wallet. Both oils will perform great in your application although I would give the Amsoil a slight edge for being a specialty oil.

I'm not at all sure Mobil publishes the oil's base stock makeup. I suspect your information is inaccurate (but don't know that for sure) One hint is that you can look at the pour point. With a pour point of -45F, it's clearly not a low quality base stock.

Note: I'm an ex Mobil Oil employee from a lifetime ago.

It's also good to note that Mobil provides oil to a number of other manufacturers. M1 racing 4t, 10W-40 may have the exact same specs as some other more expensive oils by other famous "performance" brands. Mmmmmmmm comes to mind.....

In any case, M1 racing 4t is a shear resistant, robust oil with excellent qualities for motorcycle use.

I know it may be irrelevant to your specific application, but M1 racing 4t 10W-40 has been excellent in my air cooled sport racing Honda 400EX ATV, even in blistering hot July weather climbing up long, punishing sand dunes. Smoothest engagement between all gears, even reverse, and these things are known for clunky transmissions! I've ran Rotella, Amsoil, Lucas and Honda GN4 bike oils and none have pleased me as much as M1 has. It's also the easiest to find of all the others and regularly goes on sale. Go with the 1 is what I'd do! But, your bike may be different, no two engines are the same after all.

todays Amsoil is "whatever" as they say nothing or answer no questions. there are many options depending on your wallet + the temps you ride in. many bikes use cheap conventional 15-40 oils. oils above the 30 not being energy conserving need NOT use additives that are bad for motorcycle wet clutches. you could use a cheap conventional 15-40 + change it sooner or a better synthetic + run it longer. i like 15w50 in my bikes in Pa, it flows well when cool + protects better in the heat. i don't ride in the cold where a 10W or even a 5W is better. many riders like + use mobil I 15W50 at a good price, not motorcycle specific but it matters not for heavier non energy conserving oils!!

Last edited:
Below this post is my UOA thread with Mobil 1 10W40 4T. Really good oil, IMO.

FWIW, how is M1 10W40 4T MC specific oil not a "specialty oil" vs Amsoil MC oil, therefore you would somehow give the advantage to Amsoil?

I know Amsoil did a test, but the areas Amsoil did "better" were in viscosity index, where M1 is a "Racing oil" and is at the low end of the 40 wt spectrum to begin with but lost numerically no more relative viscosity from shear than Amsoil, but Amsoil gives itself a better ranking. Skewed in Amsoil's favor.

Amsoil has a TBN of 11, M1 a TBN of 10 (rounded in both for ease of illustration). In my analysis, M1 10W40 4T had TBN of 6.5 reaming after almost 5,000 miles. Immaterial difference in 11 vs 10 TBN to start. So far, that is 9 pts on Amsoils scoring chart in "favor" of their oil. Continuing, the pricing is based upon "case lots" which garners Amsoil another 3 pts advantage (find Amsoil for $10 a quart on a Saturday at ANY store... NOT.) Most folks don't buy in case lots.

As well, Amsoil and M1 are within .5 of each other in initial viscosity (immaterial, again), and Amsoil gives itself a 4 pt advantage there. By my count, that is 16 points of "fluff" advantage to Amsoil. Takes the overall score to 31 to 40, in favor of Amsoil, vs 31 to 56 initially. The HT/HS test favors Amsoil, only because it starts higher in initial viscosity by a mere .5 point, of course it would maintain an advantage at higher temps all else equal. That is using the same immaterial advantage twice, so take away another 6 pts from Amsoils advantage. 31 to 34 difference in "score" now that it is truly analyzed.

Other areas that Amsoil had an advantage and "won" the test were where both oils were well within a performance spec, but Amsoil had (as the numbers now bear out) a slight advantage that would not bear out in real world conditions.

IMO, Amsoil is a great oil, maybe even a slight bit better in a few "test" areas, just not enough better to garner the spread in performance that they claim.

My M1 10W40 4T UOA thread.... https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...1200-mobil-1-10w40-4t-racing#Post4865603

Amsoil test thread... https://www.oil-tech.com/amsoil-pdf-files/motorcycle-oil-comparison.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet

It's also good to note that Mobil provides oil to a number of other manufacturers. M1 racing 4t, 10W-40 may have the exact same specs as some other more expensive oils by other famous "performance" brands. Mmmmmmmm comes to mind.....

Again, you may find that there is at least one (possibly more) oil out there that contain repackaged M1 4t.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Either one is good.

If it is Ester you want look at MOTUL oils.

Help to educate me here.

Is it accurate/possible/correct to say that a 100% Ester synthetic oil (10w40 for instance) would have a lower cold temperature pour point compared to a traditional synthetic (10w40) that is simply highly refined dino oil? I think that makes sense in terms of what I am asking?

Here is where I am going... Mobil1 10W40 4T has a pour point converted to deg F at -54 F, unknown ester content. Redline 10W40 (a 100% ester base) is -49 deg F. Based on that and my UOA from the ZRX1200 of M1 4T over 4,603 miles (superb viscosity retention/low shear) could it be said Mobil is probably using an ester base in the 10W40 4T? Motul 7100 10W40 is advertised a 100% ester, and a pour point of -29 deg F, Motul 300V 10W40 (100% ester) has a pour point of -32.8 F.

I may be making nothing out of nothing, but curious.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back