Make your Garage Door a Smart Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Google close the garage door, because pressing the button is hard...
lol.gif

Well, I cheated the other year and got the Chamberlain. I really like the Chamberlain app, you can set it for alerts when it opens at specific times, when to close after a period of being open, and can control with your smartphone. This comes in handy since I only have 1 of the remotes and it stays in the Sonata. So when I drive the Jeep I just use my phone.

Chamberlain let's you name your garage door opener.
So it's name is Gary.

B05F4F22-1B3B-45F0-8247-A336DD76CF2D.png

I use MyQ as well, works great. I have two cars so I just use the app to open the garage door vs having remotes. Also letting people in when needed remotely is a great plus.

I assume these apps are GPS enabled so they can open your door as you approach.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I assume these apps are GPS enabled so they can open your door as you approach.

I don't think so, at least not with Chamberlain.

Nope, MyQ is not GPS based.

I have mine set to close if open for more than 10 minutes, and also to close at 9 pm if bypassed open (like when I am working in the garage and set it not to close, it will close at 9, no more door left open overnight).
It also alerts me if the door has been open more than one hour. It can be set to alert your phone when the door is opened or closed as well.

I was looking into a setup similar to what is done in the video, but my opener died (internal gears stripped, no way to replace, the thing was 25 years old at least, about the same as what is in the video as well) so I needed a new one. I found a Home Depot branded Chamberlan that included the MyQ hub and battery backup for $180. That was a no brainer for me.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Nope, MyQ is not GPS based.

I have mine set to close if open for more than 10 minutes, and also to close at 9 pm if bypassed open (like when I am working in the garage and set it not to close, it will close at 9, no more door left open overnight).
It also alerts me if the door has been open more than one hour. It can be set to alert your phone when the door is opened or closed as well.

I was looking into a setup similar to what is done in the video, but my opener died (internal gears stripped, no way to replace, the thing was 25 years old at least, about the same as what is in the video as well) so I needed a new one. I found a Home Depot branded Chamberlan that included the MyQ hub and battery backup for $180. That was a no brainer for me.

I like the battery backup. The other week our power went out in the neighborhood. I went out front (through the garage) to see if the whole neighborhood was out. My neighbor was shocked I came out the door and thought I had power.

My biggest pet peeve is the 5 minute or so timer for the light. If I'm underneath my Jeep doing oxygen sensors or whatever, it doesn't sense motion and turns the light off. I can't get it to stay on.

My parents live out the country and they frequently have power outs. My dad wanted to have battery on his garage doors as frequently they will come home and the power will be out. We ended up strapping 2 UPS's to the ceiling on 2 of his 4 doors as he didn't want to part ways with the older Stanley openers he has that seem better build than the crap today.

Works fine.

Last edited:
If my parents don't axe Xfinity Home(or I'll be a good son and install a SimpliSafe/Nest Secure, as much as I would prefer Honeywell, there's no MyQ or Homekit/Google Assistant/Alexa support for them) and if their garage door opener goes out, I'll replace the power head with a Chamberlain. I think the one-piece Lift-Master rail will bolt on to a consumer-level Chamberlain head. MyQ does integrate with their security system.

Originally Posted by nthach
If my parents don't axe Xfinity Home(or I'll be a good son and install a SimpliSafe/Nest Secure, as much as I would prefer Honeywell, there's no MyQ or Homekit/Google Assistant/Alexa support for them) and if their garage door opener goes out, I'll replace the power head with a Chamberlain. I think the one-piece Lift-Master rail will bolt on to a consumer-level Chamberlain head. MyQ does integrate with their security system.

Watch this before you make that move: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P0rSnt2HSU (Just so you are aware)

Originally Posted by StevieC

Watch this before you make that move: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P0rSnt2HSU (Just so you are aware)

Good point - they have a Chinese-made security camera system, a POS Lorex which has a well-documented security flaw. The ODM in China hard-coded the root password into its firmware and it was leaked.

They won't let me take the camera system off the internet. I'll convince them by some other means.

Originally Posted by StevieC
My parents live out the country and they frequently have power outs. My dad wanted to have battery on his garage doors as frequently they will come home and the power will be out. We ended up strapping 2 UPS's to the ceiling on 2 of his 4 doors as he didn't want to part ways with the older Stanley openers he has that seem better build than the crap today.

Works fine.

Do you mean you strap 2 UPS in parallel or in series? Why not just one? That's one interesting way to keep it working.

I personally just keep a spare front door key in on the car key, and go through the front door to the garage, then open the garage door manually.

One UPS for each opener on the 2 doors that the vehicles go in /out of. They have 4 doors total but the other 2 doors don't need battery back-up this area is for crap or a vehicle we might be working on and it's where all of his old shop equipment is now setup as a mini-shop. It's just convenience really for when the power is out which always seems to be the case when they are returning from somewhere oddly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PandaBear
I personally just keep a spare front door key in on the car key, and go through the front door to the garage, then open the garage door manually.

The battery backup was just a bonus on mine, it was not something I was looking for, but now that I have it, my wife can't live without it.

Very nice when you come home and open the garage door, park, and only once you get inside realize there is no power.
Also our door is too heavy for my wife to lift (double wide insulated door), so if she needed to get out in a power outage, she would not be able to, now she can.
It is supposed to have like 20 open/close cycles when new on battery. The batteries are also the same type that are used in UPS backups, so are relatively cheap and easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back