Rethinking oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by benjy
back in the day when Amsoil touted PAO i used it, today they don't even say what their signature series is! no more amsoil + generally run Mobil oils + Redline for my hot rod TT with a smallish sump, + i sometimes fortify the mobil with some redline oil. been thinkin super-tech lately same spec as the big names + less cost + could beef up with redline as well.

Who would a thunk it. that pretty much oil is oil with the proper specs. I ams sure there are differences though. For 95% of the use the question should be will we notice a difference. The bad part is I am as bad as the worst oil geek.

Amsoil is good stuff, but for $9+ a quart, I would save your money and get something cheaper.

There are plenty of good choices out there.

Originally Posted by StevieC
back in the day when Amsoil touted PAO i used it, today they don't even say what their signature series is! no more amsoil + generally run Mobil oils + Redline for my hot rod TT with a smallish sump, + i sometimes fortify the mobil with some redline oil. been thinkin super-tech lately same spec as the big names + less cost + could beef up with redline as well.

Just stop with your nonsense.

Yeah, he posts b.s. every day here Stevie. Another "keyboard commando"

If I read this quote above too fast, I get dizzy from the roller-coaster ride benjy is on currently.
Please jump before you crash and I collapse, from seeing my computer room walls spin like a wheel.

Don't you post this same thing every time someone brings up amsoil? I feel like I've read this same jibberish post before with minor variations...

Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu
I used Amsoil products in the past 1yr filter/oil changes, 20K+ miles. Good stuff, and was cost effective as well. With today's DI motors (I have two of them) and the increased fuel dilution in the oil, I just can't run it that long...more like 5k miles. So as was pointed out I watch for sales and rebates...just can't justify $10/qt oil and $15 filters if I dump it at 5K miles?
Tom,

Agree completely, extended drains are not possible with DI so Amsoil SS's extended drain ability is wasted at only 5k miles.

For me it's about how long can I go between changes and until my UOA's are back on the Caravan I'm sticking with Amsoil. If they come back that the oil is done at 10K miles (16,000km) or less then I will jump ship and use a shelf oil changed at 5-8K miles (based on a UOA). Most likely M1 because I came from that camp before and I like their Moly over SOPUS. (I don't care about MS-6395 either)

I'm making this decision based on not even paying for Amsoil directly as my employer pays for my maintenance but if I'm not getting the benefit of extended OCI's because I do 600 miles (1,000km) a week then I see no reason to use their product any longer especially when a lot of shelf oils and Amsoil all offer the same protection at 8K miles or less sort of thing.

That's where I stand.

Steve

Partly my reason for using Amsoil as well; longer drains means less work, less time spent, less waste, etc etc. I'm in the process of doing some calculations to see what OCI I'd have to attain with another oil.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu
I used Amsoil products in the past 1yr filter/oil changes, 20K+ miles. Good stuff, and was cost effective as well. With today's DI motors (I have two of them) and the increased fuel dilution in the oil, I just can't run it that long...more like 5k miles. So as was pointed out I watch for sales and rebates...just can't justify $10/qt oil and $15 filters if I dump it at 5K miles?
Tom,

Agree completely, extended drains are not possible with DI so Amsoil SS's extended drain ability is wasted at only 5k miles.

For me it's about how long can I go between changes and until my UOA's are back on the Caravan I'm sticking with Amsoil. If they come back that the oil is done at 10K miles (16,000km) or less then I will jump ship and use a shelf oil changed at 5-8K miles (based on a UOA). Most likely M1 because I came from that camp before and I like their Moly over SOPUS. (I don't care about MS-6395 either)

I'm making this decision based on not even paying for Amsoil directly as my employer pays for my maintenance but if I'm not getting the benefit of extended OCI's because I do 600 miles (1,000km) a week then I see no reason to use their product any longer especially when a lot of shelf oils and Amsoil all offer the same protection at 8K miles or less sort of thing.

That's where I stand.

Steve

Partly my reason for using Amsoil as well; longer drains means less work, less time spent, less waste, etc etc. I'm in the process of doing some calculations to see what OCI I'd have to attain with another oil.

Why do you say extended drains are not possible with DI?

Not many oil mfgs. disclosing ingredients but for some reason benjy believes Amsoil should. Same old rant every freakin time. benjy, for the last time SS has pao. Percentage wise not sure but it's probably a fair amount and then some. You got to relax with that crap.

valvoline/Mobil/Pennzoil are sub $25 at Walmart for 5 quarts. Lower with rollbacks. Any of them could go 10k miles depending on the engine.

Supertech is ~$15-17.

All are sn+ and dexos1g2.

TGDI and GDI have killed long drain oils. A 2.0T Hyundai or ford ecoboost isn't going to benefit from boutique oils when you have to change every 5k just to keep fuel dilution in check.

You don't need to put amsoil in a 2v 4.6 or Toyota 1gr-fe to get 300k out of them. Any oil will do that.

Got to have a "superior" oil for those who just have to spend their money though. Amsoil knows it's target market.

Originally Posted by madeej11

Not many oil mfgs. disclosing ingredients but for some reason benjy believes Amsoil should. Same old rant every freakin time. benjy, for the last time SS has pao. Percentage wise not sure but it's probably a fair amount and then some. You got to relax with that crap.

That and as Overkill stated before you can tell a lot about what basestocks they are using based on the oils properties like Pour Point, Viscosity Index, Noack and so on. There is no way that the PAO based oils they are using in SS would be able to have said properties if it were infact Group III like their Group III oils (XL / OE). It's not possible.

Increase in fuel dilution doesn't equal unusable oil, in fact I haven't noticed increased wear as a result either. My 2.0 ecoboost comes from the factory with a oil change interval somewhere close to 8k miles. I ran amsoil XL series out around 15k miles and had very good wear numbers and at 60k miles I've had zero issues and expect none to come. Fuel dilution can be scary but that doesn't mean it will ultimately grenade the engine.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Increase in fuel dilution doesn't equal unusable oil, in fact I haven't noticed increased wear as a result either. My 2.0 ecoboost comes from the factory with a oil change interval somewhere close to 8k miles. I ran amsoil XL series out around 15k miles and had very good wear numbers and at 60k miles I've had zero issues and expect none to come. Fuel dilution can be scary but that doesn't mean it will ultimately grenade the engine.

The Europeans have been doing extended drains and DI for a long time. In fact what we call extended drain here is their severe interval. No need to worry.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

The Europeans have been doing extended drains and DI for a long time. In fact what we call extended drain here is their severe interval. No need to worry.

Europeans use different fuel.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

Canada/US has been on ultra low sulfur gasoline for over two years

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Not only that (even the fuel isn't that simple; ULSG is based upon averaging, both in the States and Canada), engine tunes are different.

Amsoil isn't that much higher that the high cost qts at Walmart and no more expensive that Auto Zones oils during the non sales times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back