New Battery Vendor at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will probably vary upon region.
I took a ride, and went in the Bucyrus, Ohio Walmart.
Went down the battery aisle, and was looking at their selections.
Every battery that was a Johnson Control, had a thick to moderate layer of dust on them.
Every battery that was new and shiny, from the cheapest Lawn and Garden up through the Maxx series (including Value), had a sticker on it prominently displaying that it was manufactured by EXIDE.
Certainly, they were the low bid vendor.

Don't know how they are nowadays, but in my young 20's I worked at a K-Mart Auto Center and our main batteries we sold were Exide and they were total rubbish. 60 month batteries that would maybe go 24 months at best.

Originally Posted by Tdbo
Every battery that was new and shiny, from the cheapest Lawn and Garden up through the Maxx series (including Value), had a sticker on it prominently displaying that it was manufactured by EXIDE.

Not Good !

Originally Posted by BikeWhisperer
I worked at a K-Mart Auto Center and our main batteries we sold were Exide and they were total rubbish. 60 month batteries that would maybe go 24 months at best.

I just bought a new battery but the previous one was a Rural King/Exide that I bought for $55. It was a 60 month battery that lasted 68 months and was still operating fine. But didn't want to push my luck heading into winter. Never charged it, daily driver but did do some maintenance on it. It did make a mess so went with a Walmart East Penn battery.

Might as well give Exide a go at it. The Walmart Mexican made JCI batteries that I have getting over the past 4 years have been junk. Two batteries in four years isn't a good record.

Don't know how they are nowadays, but in my young 20's I worked at a K-Mart Auto Center and our main batteries we sold were Exide and they were total rubbish. 60 month batteries that would maybe go 24 months at best.

I worked at a kragen auto parts store back in the 90's
The exide batteries were junk then too.

At a nearby Walmart (to me) in SW Ohio, a few of their batteries were Exide as well. I didn't look too closely at too many but I'm certain that the Exides ones were the "Value" line or maybe the mid-grade. The "Maxx" were still Johnson Controls.

I would not give up on Walmart. Just move. Walmart in Western MA carry the Everstart MAXX line of batteries and they are made by East Penn. Check the battery serial number. If it begins with an "EP" then its made by East Penn. (I asked the East Penn company this in an email and it was confirmed. Its not a guess on my part.).

Walmart is know for aggressively dealing with vendors. It would make sense that they did not single source. If there is a problem with delivery from any one vendor they can get additional items from another vendor given an existing relationship and/or move stock between distribution centers.

I may be in the market for a new battery as I suspect my current one is on it's way out / Four years old and not holding 12.6 volts (min).

I've been comparison shopping online and the best deal is at AAP using the 25% off discount. I'll save about $42.00

But, new battery or old, I'm looking forward to receiving my Battery Tester. It's an Ancel BA101.
I typed up a spread-sheet and will check the Battery every six Months.

I have had decent luck with the JC Maxx batteries, but will not buy an Exide, even with a warranty.

I go cheap on my truck, but wife and kids vehicles will only get DEKA in the future, even if it is 50% more.
Batteries Plus (Duracel) and Oreilly (last time I checked) are still Deka batteries around me.
Who knows, maybe I will buy an AGM online somewhere when the time comes.

I watched a television show where they took scrap lead acid batteries and re-used the lead and plastic from them to make new batteries. The place was a filthy hole. I wonder how many times the same lead is re-used and how pure it is on the 17th go-round? It might explain some of the early deaths of so many batteries, used up and contaminated lead. Maybe one of these companies should get a market niche with only virgin lead being used.

Recycled lead is the same as "new" lead. It is not like they pull the plates out of an old one and stick them in an new one. They are melted and purified, then reformed into new plates.

Those battery recycle centers look like toxic [censored]. With all the lead and acid going around there, it is not a place I would want to work.

I go to a local towing company and buy 18 months or less batteries for $25. They last me until the expiration of the battery.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
I may be in the market for a new battery as I suspect my current one is on it's way out / Four years old and not holding 12.6 volts (min).

I've been comparison shopping online and the best deal is at AAP using the 25% off discount. I'll save about $42.00

But, new battery or old, I'm looking forward to receiving my Battery Tester. It's an Ancel BA101.
I typed up a spread-sheet and will check the Battery every six Months.

I would not go 100% by price. I would get a Deka / East Penn. Choices are maybe Walmart (look for battery serial number that starts with EP), maybe CarQuest (the CarQuest that were franchisee), NAPA (at least the AGM).

I have the Ancel BA101 and like it.

I will tell you in a few years whether it was worth the extra $$ to get an East Penn AGM at NAPA.

Don't know how they are nowadays, ............. our main batteries we sold were Exide and they were total rubbish.

Every Exide I have had the misfortune of dealing with the last 20 years has been garbage.

I only buy Interstate or East Penn now.

Had 2 bad Exides in a row in the '90s. Never bought a 3rd So far Exide hasn't had a positive review yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back