Mobil Delvac 1300 teardown video

Status
Not open for further replies.
More Mobil hogwash and Bull fecal... There are several OTR truckers on this forum and I bet you not one of them would take 1300 anywhere near that far out on an OCI, at least not if they care about their truck in the slightest...

Last edited:
"I don't know who's it is, or what oil it is, so it's completely unbiased", he says as he is wearing a Mobil shirt, and has several opened boxes of Mobil 10w30 Delvac in the scene.
I wouldn't think you would see obvious wear at 500k on an ISX with any of the majors oils.

Why do I feel like someone just tried to sell me sunshine in a bag? What a bunch of pretty painted BS. Family is first (as long as you're making us money)....hahahahahahaha, ah jeezus.

Guys, I know that video is an advertisement, but that is just one truck among the hundreds of test vehicles in North America (not to mention many others in Australian road trains). The truck in the video racks up the miles in a hurry running coast to coast in a team operation and those miles are accumulated with minimal idle time. It's ideal for quick looks at an oils ability.

Extended OCIs (with low wear and without excessive oxidation) were a large part of the CK-4 development and the truck in this example was meant to demonstrate that. The testing was sponsored by Mobil, it's not like the fleet owner took any chances and then invited Mobil to come take a look.
smile.gif

I've done some OCIs of 55-58k miles (1500-1900 hours per OCI, too) and they included ridiculous idle time and burned through nearly a tanker load of fuel. The oil was still in great condition after each of those and the wear metals were nice and low. As I approach 400k miles, my engine is super strong and remains full of oil throughout the OCIs, no matter what I put it through. My guess is that with minimal idle time, 75k miles running across the U.S. would be a piece of cake. No need for those expensive synthetic 5W-40 oils.

Originally Posted by dustyroads
Guys, I know that video is an advertisement, but that is just one truck among the hundreds of test vehicles in North America (not to mention many others in Australian road trains). The truck in the video racks up the miles in a hurry running coast to coast in a team operation and those miles are accumulated with minimal idle time. It's ideal for quick looks at an oils ability.

Extended OCIs (with low wear and without excessive oxidation) were a large part of the CK-4 development and the truck in this example was meant to demonstrate that. The testing was sponsored by Mobil, it's not like the fleet owner took any chances and then invited Mobil to come take a look.
smile.gif

I've done some OCIs of 55-58k miles (1500-1900 hours per OCI, too) and they included ridiculous idle time and burned through nearly a tanker load of fuel. The oil was still in great condition after each of those and the wear metals were nice and low. As I approach 400k miles, my engine is super strong and remains full of oil throughout the OCIs, no matter what I put it through. My guess is that with minimal idle time, 75k miles running across the U.S. would be a piece of cake. No need for those expensive synthetic 5W-40 oils.

I agree with you Dusty. I know of at least 3 big fleets that run all 48 states, using mainly solo drivers, that have pushed the manufacturers recommended 50,000 mile OCI to 70,000 miles, with UOAs. And I'm sure there are many other big fleets doing the same thing. One of the fleets runs Delo 400 SDE conventional 15W40. And from talking to one of their maintenance managers, their UOAs show there's still lots of life left in the oil at 70,000 miles. Very impressive IMO.

Thanks for the backup Dak. The big fleets can do things that you and I don't dare try, as owner-ops trying to maintain our warranty. With such large purchases, they (large fleets) can work with manufacturers and the oil companies to push their OCIs without having to sweat it.

I know you and I could go much longer between drains, but trying to maintain the warranty is a consideration. Even with a history of UOAs to lean on, I'm not brave enough to push too far.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
More Mobil hogwash and Bull fecal... There are several OTR truckers on this forum and I bet you not one of them would take 1300 anywhere near that far out on an OCI, at least not if they care about their truck in the slightest...

84ACAA68-4D08-46CC-985B-D349BB718EE5.jpeg

More proof that extended OCIs with conventional 10w-30 is not only doable, but pays dividends in both downtime savings and lube/filter savings. Yes - I hear all the naysayers "Yabut Dave, it's cheaper than a rebuild to change oil more often." Sure it is, but it's even cheaper to extend the OCIs to a SAFE, PROVEN level of wear control. Keep in mind that no one ever said that we should blindly extend OCIs with nary a thought. Extended OCIs should be done with UOAs and PCs. Extend your OCI a bit, then test. If good, extend further and test again. Etc ....

But hey, why let science and facts get in the way of mythology and rhetoric left over from 1980?

PS - severity of use typically has little or no bearing on wear rates, despite all the hysteria surrounding that topic also.

We have a fleet of 6 semi's we change every 12k with delvec. Overkill? Maybe but it's cheap insurance and 2 trucks have over 35k hours and never been touched inside

Is it really "cheap insurance"? I'm curious how you define that.
Insurance, as a "product", has to provide some manner of fiscal protection against an event, right?
What does changing oil sooner rather than later gain you? (setting aside peace of mind, because that's not a tangible item)

If data shows that wear rates stay low in longer OCIs, what are you gaining by shortening the life-cycle of the product well before it's time?
- If this were a topic of tires, would you change tires on your fleet of 6 rigs well before the wear tread indicators showed it was prudent? Would your tires go into the recycle bin with 50% tread still remaining?
- If this were a topic of brakes, would you change the pads/shoes on your fleet of 6 rigs well before the wear indicators showed it was necessary? Would the parts hit the trash can when only 40% of the material had been used?

What is it, exactly, that makes you believe 12k mile OCIs is the right decision? Why not 10k miles? Why not 5k miles? If you're going to use an arbitrary decision point, why is 12k miles "cheap insurance"? If shorter = better, why is 8k miles not "cheaper" insurance?

For the fleet ops program in this video, they clearly were able to use data and facts to greatly extend their OCIs, and yet still have excellent wear trends. Because UOAs are far less expensive than a multi-gallon sump dump, it's actually cheaper for them to test oil than change oil. Far cheaper, in fact. "Cheap Insurance" is using a low cost product to assure confidence in an outcome, right?

So how is blindly changing oil at some arbitrary limit "better" than KNOWING the ACTUAL wear rates, and doing your maintenance on a predictive, managed plan?
21.gif

I would agree that simple OCIs based on the OEM criteria for a newer, small sump engine might well be cheaper than UOAs, depending upon where you get the service done. If you own a 2008 4 cyl Focus, and change oil at the OEM prescribed limit with qualified 5w-20 conventional oil, then it's probably cheaper to do that then send off a sample to Blackstone. That, I would agree with. Here, the "cheap insurance" is just to OCI on the OEM schedule, because the 2.0L engine is a known good performer with no major flaws, and so just keeping an eye on all fluid levels will show that things are likely OK. It's cheaper to dump 4 qrts/filter than to send in $32 for a full 'Stone report. And because the engine has shown itself to be a solid, reliable unit, there's no reason to suspect something going afoul unless you see coolant disappearing or some other contamination concern.

But running a fleet of 6 rigs, all with many gallons of oil in each unit, makes doing oil analysis far "cheaper" than guessing what your OCI should be, especially when other examples shows that 12k mile OCIs is pitifully short and can easily be extended.

One man's "cheap insurance" is another man's total waste.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Is it really "cheap insurance"? I'm curious how you define that.
Insurance, as a "product", has to provide some manner of fiscal protection against an event, right?
What does changing oil sooner rather than later gain you? (setting aside peace of mind, because that's not a tangible item)

If data shows that wear rates stay low in longer OCIs, what are you gaining by shortening the life-cycle of the product well before it's time?
- If this were a topic of tires, would you change tires on your fleet of 6 rigs well before the wear tread indicators showed it was prudent? Would your tires go into the recycle bin with 50% tread still remaining?
- If this were a topic of brakes, would you change the pads/shoes on your fleet of 6 rigs well before the wear indicators showed it was necessary? Would the parts hit the trash can when only 40% of the material had been used?

. . .

But running a fleet of 6 rigs, all with many gallons of oil in each unit, makes doing oil analysis far "cheaper" than guessing what your OCI should be, especially when other examples shows that 12k mile OCIs is pitifully short and can easily be extended.

One man's "cheap insurance" is another man's total waste.

Superbly well put. Never mind a home run out of the park -- the ball you hit has just achieved low earth orbit. . .
thumbsup2.gif

As mentioned above, that guy made me laugh. I have no idea what oil. Uhhhhhh hahahahhaha

Just tore down our Rolls-Royce BR710 after more than 2.3 million miles of travel without an oil change. No lubricated parts exhibited any wear and all were reused. Some designs don't need oil changes at all ...‚...‚...‚

Of course the turbine section needed a good bit of rework.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back