2 wires. How hard can it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to add a cigar lighter type of charge port on the FJ so that Casey can charge her phone or whatever when she is with us. Keep in mind that auto electronics are not my strong point.

Easy enough right? Buy a lighter receptacle, run a couple of wires. One to any ground and the other to a hot.

Found an unused hot wire in the fuse box. Plugged into that,ran my wires. Plugged the ground onto the receptacle and it went up in smoke!

Cheap junk was shorted internally! Blew the 50a fuse that powers the fuse box. Had to go to 3 places to find a 50a fuse and buy another receptacle. This time i also added a 10a fuse right at the fuse box

The unit itself had an internal dead short right out of the box?? I just bought one from West Marine for one of my old vehicles. Probably overpaid, but tired of buying junk....

I'm a butcher and just jam the wire in parallel to the prong of the ATC fuse.

But I survey the fuse as to if it's on when I expect it to be, and which side is "downstream" so I have that fuse's protection.

I typically borrow the heated drivers seat/ power mirrors fuse for such things, as it's hot only in run, and mutes in "start".

Sorry you got a dud cigarette lighter. I made two road trips from NC to ME without lighters, both times! Once was blown b/c a dime fell in, the other was in an ashtray I never bothered opening.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
The unit itself had an internal dead short right out of the box?? I just bought one from West Marine for one of my old vehicles. Probably overpaid, but tired of buying junk....

Yep. Bell brand from pep boys.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Casey?

My wife's13 yr old 2nd cousin we have had since she was 8.
I never wanted anything to do with kids till this one came into my life.

https://youtu.be/ebcdQnBowfU

2101.jpeg

received_484275725389815.jpeg

I did the same when I added one to our 93 truck. I connected a 15A fuse to the + of the lighter jack then to a constant hot 12v source and the ground to a known good metal ground.

She seems like an angel, teach her to be a good citizen and a good mechanic as well!

Good on you and your wife for doing so much to help out a kid in need!

I wasn't too sure about kids myself until we had one...to paraphrase Debbie Boone, "she lit up my life"!

Anytime I'm running an aux wire from the fuse block, there's an inline fuse about an inch from the connection made at the box then the wire goes where it's needed. Crazy they can't get a cigar lighter right...

They make those quick connect terminals that you can jam into a fuse box. The key is to put it in the non powered side of the fuse box, so that it is fused when you put the 10 amp fuse in.

Ciggy plugs and receptacles are worthy of all the contempt one can muster.

While passing the -12 watts max a phone might requir, they are usually ok. at more than 60 watts they will degrade quickly and fail. There are 12v to 5v usb outlets available for little more than a ciggy/12v power port

When adding after market cruise control , I checked & found a fuse that was hot / key on , in the fuse box . Added one of these add - a - fuse adaptors . ( Also called a fuse tap . )

It plugs in a space that existing fuse occupied & the original fuse plugs back into it . The adapter also has a place for a second fuse of your choice ( sized according to the new load ) and a wire pigtail .

Splice the pigtail wire to the hot + wire feeding the new device . Plug the new fuse in . to power up the new circuit / device . Check to be sure everthing works .

Remember , there at least 2 automotive blade fuse sizes / types .

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/auto-fuse-taps

Get Casey involved. Not so much to teach her to wire, but to teach her perseverance. Sometimes it take a few tries to get stuff done. You don't give up the first time you fail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back