Boxed Havoline now available in full synthetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a nice surprise at walmart, since before the boxed oil was only conventional and high mileage blend.
It comes out to about $3.30 per quart, still a bit more than Supertech synthetic at $3.20 per quart.. But that difference is negligible so I might buy it to support the boxed oil movement (recyclability).

AE75A0FD-7280-4933-A095-E41E150D4957.jpeg

Its good for people that need more than 5 quarts of oil, since it already comes with that extra quart of oil. If your car needs 5.1 to 6 quarts of oil per change, then these boxes are perfect.

How hard is it to squeeze out the entire 6 quarts? My truck uses 6 quarts so I would need every drop. It is a good deal and I've always liked Havoline. Also, is it easy to tell when you've used 4 quarts so not to overfill vehicles that don't require the entire box?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bubbatime
Its good for people that need more than 5 quarts of oil, since it already comes with that extra quart of oil. If your car needs 5.1 to 6 quarts of oil per change, then these boxes are perfect.

What about the opposite? My wife's Civic specs 3.2 qt without the filter changed. Still - 5 quarts always presented a more interesting dilemma.

WM isn't listing the OP's selection on their website. I see "conventional" 5W-20/5W-30/10W-30 on their website for $14.97, but apparently lower priced at the store. Also HM versions that don't show up except in a web search because they're out of stock.

https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto...94_7259277_1072084/YnJhbmQ6SGF2b2xpbmUie
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Havoline-SMART-CHANGE-High-Mileage-SB-Motor-Oil-5W-20-6qt/713603148

This looks a lot like a to-go coffee box (I've brought these to a company picnic full of coffee drinkers) or one of those boxes of soft drink syrup.

[Linked Image]
'

Not sure how I would measure them without another container unless it was something with a large capacity where it would be dumped in all at once. I remember it was pretty easy even when quart bottles/cans didn't even have graduation lines. I've seen bulk oil deposited in a plastic container with measuring lines.

I'll have to check my Wally World that's just about the right price for 6 quarts of full synthetic.
Wonder when their next rebate is coming up?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
I'm waiting to see boxed oil here. And 20 bucks 6 quarts full syn oil....not bad at all

good price..thanks

I hope more companies start jumping on this type of packaging. My two vehicles take six and eight quarts respectively so these would work well for me.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
How do you pour this into the engine? How do you know how much you have put in? Seems like a bit of a problem to me.

I mentioned that, but I do have several used, clean oil bottles in my garage. It might mix a tiny bit of the previous contents, but that's always been pretty insignificant to me. I'll take a Sharpie and write down what's in there. So if I needed 3.5 quarts, I would probably pour out 3, pour the rest into the car, check the level, and then top off from the small bottles.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
How do you pour this into the engine? How do you know how much you have put in? Seems like a bit of a problem to me.

Buy a cheap plastic pitcher.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
How hard is it to squeeze out the entire 6 quarts? ...
Good question! I'm having trouble seeing how these things could be as thoroughly drained as a plastic bottle can be, and why the the combination of residual oil in a plastic bag in a cardboard box wouldn't be a greater environmental hazard than recycling a well-drained HDPE container

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
I'm waiting to see boxed oil here. And 20 bucks 6 quarts full syn oil....not bad at all

Just order it online and have it shipped to the nearest WM

I hope this is not the wave of the future, but have a feeling it is. I'd rather have my oil in bottles, just the way they are now. So I can continue to refill them with waste oil and recycle them that way. Flame suit on.

Unless every drop can be had from this packaging, I also see it as more of an environmental issue than the bottles they replace.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I hope this is not the wave of the future, but have a feeling it is. I'd rather have my oil in bottles, just the way they are now. So I can continue to refill them with waste oil and recycle them that way. Flame suit on.

Unless every drop can be had from this packaging, I also see it as more of an environmental issue than the bottles they replace.

Exactly sir. I have a few of the 10 quart pourable plastic cans I use at work and at home. Very easy even if I have single quarts
wink.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint

I think they can be used to store used oil just fine. Someone (or a machine) had to fill them in the first place, and I'm guessing it was through the same spout. The big problem would be not knowing exactly how much is in there if it's used to collect lots of oil. At least plastic jugs and bottles mostly have translucent strips to indicate what level it's at. And with used oil the color makes it easy to see.

Has anyone actually opened the box? I'm sure there's just a plastic bladder inside. I don't see why it wouldn't drain the whole thing or why you couldn't refill it. Might need to make a 1/2" hole in the bladder to put the funnel into or something, no big deal.

Here's the Chevron Lubricants video showing it being used. Should answer most of the questions asked here, including mine. The bag is translucent and the box has a measurement window on the other side with an approximate level.

The video shows someone punching a perforated hole and pulling out the spout, as well as removing the bag in order to squeeze out the last bit of oil. Also sticking a funnel in it to store used oil, although that probably means it will be harder to squeeze out the oil if the box isn't ripped open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back