Thoughts on an old Lexus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm looking to replace the Impala with another cheap cash car and found a '99 Lexus ES300 with 130k miles listed for $2300. I haven't seen the car yet, but it looks clean enough to take a look at. I know about the reputation for sludge and chewing up knock sensors, but is there anything else to look for in this car? Anyone have thoughts about this MY ES and engine/trans combo? I don't have any pictures to post yet of it, but it looks like it's been well taken care of.

It has a good reputation, but after 20 years what you're really buying is the prior owner's driving regimen and their maintenance habits.

Here is some data for you. Keep in mind that even though the name and quality record is good, that doesn't mean the car is a peach. Have it looked at by an independent mechanic and keep in mind this generation of the ES hovered right around average.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Lexus_ES.html

I should mention that I'm planning to take my borescope and bluedriver diagnostic OBDII reader. I recognize the dangers of buying a 20 year old car and I'm not expecting perfection, I just only drive 6 miles a day so I'm looking for something cheap.

Originally Posted by JustN89
So I'm looking to replace the Impala with another cheap cash car and found a '99 Lexus ES300 with 130k miles listed for $2300. I haven't seen the car yet, but it looks clean enough to take a look at. I know about the reputation for sludge and chewing up knock sensors, but is there anything else to look for in this car? Anyone have thoughts about this MY ES and engine/trans combo? I don't have any pictures to post yet of it, but it looks like it's been well taken care of.

I would be very surprised if its been taken care of you couldn't get another 130K out of it.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

I would be very surprised if its been taken care of you couldn't get another 130K out of it.

+1

A borescope won't get down past the baffle in the valve cover to check for sludge.......If that's what you were going to do with it? And build-up on the baffle isn't a good indicator of sludge either! Short of pulling a valve cover, Your not really going to know.

*This (1MZ-FE) is a timing belt engine & probably needs to be replaced if you can't verify when/miles is was replaced last.
*Power Steering leaks are common & can be VERY expensive/time consuming to fix.
*There's a coolant bypass hose under the intake that likes to fail from old age.
*Oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets, A good 4 hour job!
*Would have a U140E transaxle I believe......Known for Planetary & Bearing failures, Make sure no noise is present!
*CV Boot failures, Usually the Inner ones that are made of a soft rubber. Check those!
*OE parts are expensive & needed in certain areas because aftermarket just won't cut it.

"Cheap" and "Lexus" should not go in the same sentence.
grin.gif

I maintained a 2001 RX300 with the sludge prone motor. Transmission fluid looked grey before normal service interval. I would look for oil and transmission maintenance records. I like the older Lexus better than 2018 one in the garage. I think it depends on how it was maintained and what maintenance you can do yourself.

Matt Farah is about 630 miles away from a million miles on his 1996 Lexus LS400. It apparently has an appetite for power steering pumps.

The 4th gen Camry/ES300 wasn't the best generation due to the issues you mention. And also, it is impossible to access the rear cylinder bank. I think 99 is when they added VVTi and it became an interference engine (if the timing belt breaks, the engine is toast). Since the 1MZ has issues, you may want to consider the later ES330 (which has the 3.3L 3MZ, offered from 04-06)

You'd be better off with the Acura RL, which has a longitudinal engine. It is probably much easier to service.

My father in law has one with some 150k, I think 2000. Transmission was replaced once.
It is OK car, bit cramped in drivers seat, but for that money, if it drives and looks ok, do not see issue buying it. I would though pay attention on transmission and sludge of course if you get it.

I wouldn't buy one personally, everyone is overlooking the big issue with these. The crazy complex gauge cluster with tiny fluorescent bulb needles and capacitors that start failing at the 20 year mark. Same with the ECU(M) and it's numerous capacitors which control many things, including the transmission. It is a major issue on the LS400 cars. I owned a 94 LS400. I rebuilt both the cluster and ecu, soldering in all new capacitors. Took quite a bit of time. Double layer breadboards... Not a job for a regular guy with a pencil gun.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Lexus parts are expensive. However, once properly maintained and replaced, it should run well. Watch Scotty Kilmer.

It's just a V6 Camry...

Originally Posted by clinebarger
A borescope won't get down past the baffle in the valve cover to check for sludge.......If that's what you were going to do with it? And build-up on the baffle isn't a good indicator of sludge either! Short of pulling a valve cover, Your not really going to know.

*This (1MZ-FE) is a timing belt engine & probably needs to be replaced if you can't verify when/miles is was replaced last.
*Power Steering leaks are common & can be VERY expensive/time consuming to fix.
*There's a coolant bypass hose under the intake that likes to fail from old age.
*Oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets, A good 4 hour job!
*Would have a U140E transaxle I believe......Known for Planetary & Bearing failures, Make sure no noise is present!
*CV Boot failures, Usually the Inner ones that are made of a soft rubber. Check those!
*OE parts are expensive & needed in certain areas because aftermarket just won't cut it.

This pretty much nails it. I had a y2k camry V6 for a short bit. Got it for pocket change. It was neglected, but not sludged more than any other old car. link

I would add to check the parking brake-- the cables get tired, seize, and this car belongs to the demographic that never uses them.
Check the OBD I/Ms, as with any car this age you can expect EVAP issues. Toyota also seems to need catalytic converters fairly often. Neither a deal breaker, more a bargaining chip.
If your state has excise tax, it'll be more on this car than it would be on a camry. Maybe your insurance will be less, though, more of a "grandpa car".
I disagree on the quality assessments-- this was the last generation of the midsize body style. The 02+ Camry is a solid full size car. I like the proportions, greenhouse glass, body lines, paint quality, dash layout-- all intangibles. Everyone has a different opinion of course but go look at this.

I should mention that I'm planning to take my borescope
To check under the oil fill cap? No way I would let someone yank the plugs on a used car I was selling.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's a lot to consider. I'm not sold on anything, nor do I have to replace my Impala right this minute. I just am always on the lookout for a cheap beater that looks like it's been halfway maintained since I only drive 6 miles a day. Unfortunately, the only stuff in this price range in my neck of the woods has been abused or has 200k miles on it.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The 4th gen Camry/ES300 wasn't the best generation due to the issues you mention. And also, it is impossible to access the rear cylinder bank. I think 99 is when they added VVTi and it became an interference engine (if the timing belt breaks, the engine is toast). Since the 1MZ has issues, you may want to consider the later ES330 (which has the 3.3L 3MZ, offered from 04-06)

You'd be better off with the Acura RL, which has a longitudinal engine. It is probably much easier to service.

I'm pretty sure the VVTi version came in 2002 or later, so this one should be non-interference.

The rear cylinders aren't fun to get at, but not horrible. My brother and I replaced his spark plugs in his 96' ES300 and later the intake manifold gaskets. The worst spark plugs to get at would be my mom's previous Buick Rendezvous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back