Kitchen Faucet question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Moen Adler model kitchen faucet. Any idea on how to disassemble to access the diverter valve? There is not an indention for an allen wrench. I have low water pressure and have already cleaned the aerator. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ryan

Usually you take off the rubber Moen emblem and there is a metric set screw underneath then the handle pops off.

It looks like there is a set screw on the back of the handle/handle collar, remove this and then you can get to the nut holding the cartridge in.

Look at the top image of the pdf i posted.

Last edited:
FYI, this all happened when I drained a few gallons from my water heater tank. I installed a new water heater last February, and had read that doing so is good maintenance every year or so. I'm guessing it dislodged some sediment.

Originally Posted by Warstud
COULD BE A PLUGGED UP SHUT-OFF VALVE

That's good advice, disconnect the lines from faucet and see if you have flow through the valve and line into a bucket. If not , you may need to take the valve apart. I had valves that i could not shut off, and had to replace the seals.

Originally Posted by reemoe2
FYI, this all happened when I drained a few gallons from my water heater tank. I installed a new water heater last February, and had read that doing so is good maintenance every year or so. I'm guessing it dislodged some sediment.

I know people will disagree, but this is why I NEVER drain my hot water heater. You run the risk of dislodged sediment getting into your hot water supply lines. And as you are experiencing, it can cause a ton of problems with clogged faucets and the like.

This happened to my neighbor across the street this past year. I saw him running a hose out his garage, down his driveway, and out to the curb. I knew what he was doing. The next day the plumber was there installing a new water heater. He told me he had to have the sediment in his supply lines flushed out, before they installed it. I've heard from several people over the years of this type of thing happening. Another guy ended up having problems with the drain spigot on the water heater itself leaking after he screwed with it, trying to drain it.

I'm not saying it won't help under certain conditions. But from what I've observed over the years, it's just not worth the risk. My water heater is at least 15 years old, and I've never drained a drop from it. So if it went south today, I've gotten more than sufficient service life from it. I'll do much the same with the next one. I put all of this into the category of, If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it.

Originally Posted by billt460

I know people will disagree, but this is why I NEVER drain my hot water heater. You run the risk of dislodged sediment getting into your hot water supply lines. And as you are experiencing, it can cause a ton of problems with clogged faucets and the like.

This happened to my neighbor across the street this past year. I saw him running a hose out his garage, down his driveway, and out to the curb. I knew what he was doing. The next day the plumber was there installing a new water heater. He told me he had to have the sediment in his supply lines flushed out, before they installed it. I've heard from several people over the years of this type of thing happening. Another guy ended up having problems with the drain spigot on the water heater itself leaking after he screwed with it, trying to drain it.

I'm not saying it won't help under certain conditions. But from what I've observed over the years, it's just not worth the risk. My water heater is at least 15 years old, and I've never drained a drop from it. So if it went south today, I've gotten more than sufficient service life from it. I'll do much the same with the next one. I put all of this into the category of, If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it.

Couldn't you avoid the issue by draining the heater annually (or otherwise as scheduled), starting when it is new?

I have a gas water heater and of course with the flames hitting the bottom, where the sediment is, it would be very inefficient to let it build up. I drain my water heater every year and have had no problems. There, I probably went and jinxed myself.

Originally Posted by Warstud
COULD BE A PLUGGED UP SHUT-OFF VALVE

Agree. This has been the source for multiple low flow problems in our house.

If cold and hot have different flow rates, that's a sure sign of a clogged shutoff valve.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cjolson140
Couldn't you avoid the issue by draining the heater annually (or otherwise as scheduled), starting when it is new?

Perhaps. I'm just not convinced it improves anything as far a water heater longevity. Besides, that's what the OP did on a water heater he just installed a year ago. And it would appear that is what started all his sediment in the faucet issues.

OK, I've done some research and have been able to take apart my Moen faucet down to and including the cartridge. I now need to figure out how to locate the diverter, as I believe that may be the part that is gunked up and needing cleaned or replaced. I have tried to call Moen today, but it appears they are closed for the President's Day holiday. You Tube doesn't seem to have much regarding the diverter.

Got it all fixed! I had to spend the majority of my holiday off, however. I took the faucet apart and ran the water for a short while. I could see some of the bits of stuff get flushed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back