2018 Honda Pilot - 0w-20 Amsoil SS - 7000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all that informative as the engine is still breaking-in. Factory fill was dumped at 2,000 miles and 0w-20 Amsoil SS with a Fram Ultra was used from 2K-9K - there was 7000 miles on this fill and not 700 as the reports states.

This is my daily driver. It's an 18 mile round trip to work and back. Mostly driving in town but this fill did a few longer trips including Mt. Washington. More interested to see trends as metals come down but since I have this I figured I'd post it. Currently running 0W-20 Mobil EP.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 155
Last edited:
Looks like Blakstone made their comments based on the 700mi run lol
Yeah, engine is breaking in, still. I'm currently filled up with the same oil and will be running it for at least 6k (MM comes on around that time). I've posted my UOA on my 2016 Pilot EXL and you can look it up in UOA section if interested

I have run Amsoil SS 0w-20 in the `06 Honda Odyssey J35A7 in the past. It was clearly the quietest oil I ever ran in it. I could not hear the engine idle. Had a couple accidental trying to start the engine when it was already running while using this oil.

Apparently Honda does not have a safety feature that prevents starter and ring gear damage like some manufactures do.

I'm not going to say anything against or for Amsoil in this case, because this is only the 1st OCI from factory. IMHO if you are going to drop Amsoil coin on your vehicle AND drop coin on a UOA, you should wait until at least roughly 20k miles before you take a look. Factory fill, and break-in metals, will both result in extremely ugly (and useless) UOAs, until you have had 2-3 OCIs to flush out all of the stuff from factory machining and the metal parts making nice with each other.

In my case, if I ever buy another new vehicle, I will probably run the factory fill 3k, then do 2 short OCIs of around 1k with something like Harvest King syn, just to dilute and help flush out the junk, then go to my preferred choice of oil (PP most likely), then not even pull an oil sample until the end of the 2nd PP OCI, which coincidentally would likely end up somewhere around the 20k miles mark anyways. But, your engine, your money, your choice. Amsoil certainly can't hurt on the first fill after the factory had their shot at it.

Bah...I spent more on sushi tonight than it cost me to lubricate my vehicle for 7000 miles. Not a big deal....

I love that we always see UOA's like this where an engine is breaking in and there is high metal counts as to be expected and OE's are fine with running the full length on the first OCI. Sorry I would never do this. Dump it early and frequently for the first so many thousand miles and wash all this out of there.

Last edited:
Break in still at 9k miles? After potentially 2-3 oil changes, Those are pretty high numbers for multiple changes. Ive done New car UOA on two vehicles in past before my current truck. I definitely didnt see numbers like this at 9k mile mark after 2-3 changes. Idk Run it good bit like 3-4k like they said and see if Values come down per mile or stay the same or higher.

Originally Posted by Shata
Break in still at 9k miles? After potentially 2-3 oil changes, Those are pretty high numbers for multiple changes. Ive done New car UOA on two vehicles in past before my current truck. I definitely didnt see numbers like this at 9k mile mark after 2-3 changes. Idk Run it good bit like 3-4k like they said and see if Values come down per mile or stay the same or higher.

Please re-read. One...not 2-3 oil changes...it had ONE oil change at 2000 miles when the factor fill was dumped and this oil was in for next the 7000 miles. So, unless you believe all the break-in should have been complete by 2000 miles and nearly 100% flushed from the engine with a single oil change, then I would still expect high numbers in the second oil every used in this engine.

Last edited:
Corrected report from Blackstone showing 7000 miles on oil.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 37
4.4 TBN is great after 7000 miles, although I'm sure being SSO the starting TBN is in the 12.x range. Break in metals still present (duh). What % was the OLM at when changed?

How far will you go on M1EP?

Honda makes a big deal (like everybody else) of saying you need an API-certified oil in there, page 151 of the OM. If you want premium oil, why not put in one of the Mobil1 Extended/Annual 0w20 oils instead? Warranty thing, you know.
I do believe Amsoil is good oil, but I'm wondering if Honda accepts it?
Certainly look for those high metals to be way, way down on the next sump dump. If they aren't, something is wrong.

Originally Posted by Brons2
4.4 TBN is great after 7000 miles, although I'm sure being SSO the starting TBN is in the 12.x range. Break in metals still present (duh). What % was the OLM at when changed?

How far will you go on M1EP?

OLM was at 10%.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Honda makes a big deal (like everybody else) of saying you need an API-certified oil in there, page 151 of the OM. If you want premium oil, why not put in one of the Mobil1 Extended/Annual 0w20 oils instead? Warranty thing, you know.
Certainly look for those high metals to be way, way down on the next sump dump. If they aren't, something is wrong.

I have 0W-20 Mobil 1 EP in there now.

AMSOIL stands behind their product despite its lack of API certs on some of their oil...

Last edited:

In 20+ years of owning automobiles no one has ever asked me to prove anything about the oil I use (matter of fact no one has ever asked me anything about my oil changes...ever) and I'm supremely confident no one ever will; short of there being very low or no oil in the engine or someone put transmission fluid in there instead of motor oil I just can't imagine something like using Amsoil or using a different viscosity ever being an issue. Perhaps it's naive but I just don't buy this ever being a real issue in the absence of some other bigger mistake.

Last edited:
Are you following honda MM for OCI and changing the filter every other as well?

Or are you doing your own thing?

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back