looking @ a 2010 Escape Hybrid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking to replace the Sable, the leading contender at this point is a 2010 Escape hybrid.
it's a 1 owner, 65k mi, asking price is only $7,999.
https://www.larichetoyota.com/auto/used-2010-ford-escape-hybrid-hybrid-findlay-oh/34514082/
haven't had a chance to see it in person just yet, the dealer is 45 mi away, and my schedule and theirs don't exactly line up most days.. plan on going up on tuesday.(next day off)

not looking for an economics lesson, just looking for first hand knowledge of the escape hybrids.

what's a good escape-centric forum? I always enjoy finding those when i get a car...

These are pretty great cars. In NYC taxi service they ran for 300k+ miles with no major repairs or battery replacement. Look carefully for rust around the rear shock mounts on the body, it's a weak point on all escapes. If you get an AWD version make sure to change the gear oil in the PTU. My mom gets about 27mpg combined in her AWD hybrid escape.

My wife has had a 2009 Escape Hybrid since new. Now at 130k miles. It is FWD and averages 30 mpg in mixed use. Overall, it has been a great vehicle. Apart from routine maintenance, the issues we've addressed are: leak at rear side window, throttle body replaced(pretty common issue, I think) and evaporative emissions valves replaced. That is it.

Dang it!

Today was my first opportunity to get to the dealership, get there, they sold it last night...

I had already filled out their trade in appraisal form, and put in a financing application for pre-approval...

"Were you just looking for something in that price range?"

No, I drove an hour for that car.

Even cleaned the sable out, removed the stickers, erased the home link buttons, etc....

Oh well. I guess it wasn't meant to be....

And of course it's Still on the website....

Last edited:
I think you dodged a bullet. A 2010 model year hybrid is approaching ten years old. Ten years seems to be the magic number for when NIMH battery failures start to show up. The bad news about Ford Hybrids (unlike Toyota ones) is that the battery packs are outrageously expensive. Price one out and you will see what I mean. When one fails, the car is essentially totaled...

Sucky. I've had that happen. Keep looking. Another will turn up.

I drive one daily for work. It's not bad. Plenty of seating room, SYNC system, and will perform light duty off road work well. They're out there. Keep going.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I think you dodged a bullet. A 2010 model year hybrid is approaching ten years old. Ten years seems to be the magic number for when NIMH battery failures start to show up. The bad news about Ford Hybrids (unlike Toyota ones) is that the battery packs are outrageously expensive. Price one out and you will see what I mean. When one fails, the car is essentially totaled...

the ones i priced were $1,500-2,500..

Originally Posted by earlyre

the ones i priced were $1,500-2,500..

Those are remanufactured batteries. They are not a viable option if reliability is a concern. Conceptually, NIMH hybrid batteries cannot be refurbished to like-new performance and capacity. You can take used modules and discharge/recharge them to restore some amount of capacity, but they are never restored to a like-new state. The issue with an escape hybrid (or any hybrid from that era) is that the available cores for any battery rebuilder are already old; you can only do so much to them. There is a reason why you will read lots of horror stories with rebuilt batteries on various Toyota hybrid forums - the process is simply no longer sustainable today. Even my local wholesale supplier sees 2-yr warranty rates nearing 50% on the reman packs that they sell.

Originally Posted by earlyre
Dang it!

Today was my first opportunity to get to the dealership, get there, they sold it last night...

I had already filled out their trade in appraisal form, and put in a financing application for pre-approval...

"Were you just looking for something in that price range?"

No, I drove an hour for that car.

Even cleaned the sable out, removed the stickers, erased the home link buttons, etc....

Oh well. I guess it wasn't meant to be....

And of course it's Still on the website....

I think at that price you can find some low miles low owners lincoln hybrid (ford fusion hybrid on a luxury skin)

Don't let "The Critic" scare you. You did not dodge any bullet.

I was just reading an article in the August '18 edition of the Auto Cheat Sheet. Title being, " For this Ford Hybrid, 300,000 miles is just a Starting Point." In it, they surveyed New York City Escape Hybrids that were used as Taxis. It was common to find them with 350,000 to 450,000 miles on them before retirement original batteries). One guy had had 618,000 miles on his 2010 model.

As an owner of a 2010 Fusion Hybrid approaching 200,000 miles (original battery packs), I'm not scared.

Originally Posted by Best F100

Don't let "The Critic" scare you. You did not dodge any bullet.

I was just reading an article in the August '18 edition of the Auto Cheat Sheet. Title being, " For this Ford Hybrid, 300,000 miles is just a Starting Point." In it, they surveyed New York City Escape Hybrids that were used as Taxis. It was common to find them with 350,000 to 450,000 miles on them before retirement original batteries). One guy had had 618,000 miles on his 2010 model.

As an owner of a 2010 Fusion Hybrid approaching 200,000 miles (original battery packs), I'm not scared.

Taxi service is a very different service environment. Lots of mileage in a short period of time.

Keep looking the right one will pop up. Not surprised the last one moved quick with the low miles. Prob an employee bought it or one of their friends. A 2013 Fusion with the 2.5 liter engine should be nice and reliable for around the same price as the older Fusion that was listed.

Bummer. Buying used take a little patience, the really nice cars that are priced right don't stick around long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back